Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Gidday fellas,

Well buggar me!! With regards to the other "1928 Chevy tool kit" postings, I see the thread stopped when the ole heat got turned up in the kitchen a little, bristle a few hairs on the neck did it?...And then to pull the plug on the thread and CENSOR it by us having to "Notify Webmaster" - Come on gents, WTF is this a Senior Citizens Club..

You can explain your position and importance till the cows come home, but at the end of the day as I stated earlier in the other thread before big brother stepped in to wield his powers "you went straight for the jugular" and that I found very disappointing to my friend Art or any Chev newbie to this site.

And the sad fact is I still see that no "WELCOME" has been mentioned..

Cheers Grant.

"We're not painting it all fancy"

http://montythe1928chevrolet.blogspot.com.au/

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
The 6th post in, a welcome was issued when it was realised that 28ChevyNut was a new member to the forums.

JACK
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Hello jack,

Yes mate i did notice that "welcome" in your postings right from the get go before I wrote a word and well done to you for being the one to mention it first and I'm sorry myself as i should of been a little more specific with who I was addressing the issue with.
But to be honest I'm just totally amazed at the whole "attack" over the mention of the word "Original" to a fella that is just so proud of his Chevy..

Cheers Grant.

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
To all VCCA members:

I am breaking my pledge to not speak on the issue of my vehicle to try and put this controversy to rest once and for all so you can all get back to your lives and stop ripping each other. That is not what I wanted my question or membership in VCCA to be.

I want to start by apologizing to all members for my error, in my original post, by placing the word ORIGNAL before my question as follows: ….. for my ORIGINAL 1928 Chevrolet with 162 miles. Whether you believe me or not, whenever I discuss my car with others I have always been careful to say “my 1928 Chevrolet with 162 original miles” except in this one post. For that mistake I apologize as it was an oversight on my part for which I accept responsibility. I am already changing the web site to say “my RESTORED 1928 Chevrolet with 162 ORIGINAL miles”. However, I would like to point out some things in the VCCA member responses to make sure the record is accurate since things on the web live forever:

I have been accused of having some agenda. I have none. My Chevrolet will remain in my family for future generations, will never be sold, will have no financial gain to me or my heirs, and if ever disposed of will be to a museum through donation per my directions to my wife and children. So there is no financial agenda anyway. Not sure what other agenda I would have. I’m not trying to say I having something that others do not have. I already have it … a car with the lowest ORIGINAL mileage I can find, and I am still looking for a lower mileage one, with documentation that I have not seen in any other car, in a nice RESTORED condition. However, every one of you also has a unique vehicle and story that none of the rest of the members have, so in one way every car and story is unique. To imply that during restoration the mileage was rolled back is flat out wrong and an insult to me personally. I am a history buff and always stress historical accuracy, which is why I continue to research what an ORIGINAL 28 Chevy consists of.

My website has been ripped as promoting my vehicle as an ORIGINAL Chevrolet. I have reviewed it several times, have had it reviewed by other people, and NOWHERE on the site does it say the car is ORIGINAL. It only says the mileage is ORIGNAL and that is true and verifiable through documentation and discussions with prior owners. In fact my website says in many cases it is a RESTORED vehicle so I never tried to hide that fact. I am not an expert on original 28 Chevrolets and hence would never draw that conclusion. I suggest all of you who ripped my car and web site go back and look at it again. You will NOT see anything that refers to the car as ORIGINAL, only the mileage. For those who question it, that is your problem. I know the truth, have the documentation, and have talked to prior owners. If any of you are clairvoyant enough to know different I admire your capabilities.

For those who say my Chevy can’t be original because it doesn’t have the tool kit, I don’t know if it ever had one, and probably none of you do either. After a lot of research, based on information from some of you and prior to my question, it appears the tool kits were a variable. No one knows for sure whether the original owner was ever given one, what was in it if he did get one, or what the dealer might have done in this regards. I don’t think any one opinion can serve as authority in this area on my specific vehicle. If you think you are the definitive authority and can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt my car ever had one and its contents please contact me about it. I would love to know.

You attacked the Aussies unfairly in my view. In case none of you have ever been to the land down under, I have been there many times in my business career. Aussies are some of the nicest, smartest and hardest working people you will ever find anywhere, and I back that up with 18 years of international business travel and experience. So if you haven’t been down under, go there and learn what a great place it is. If any of you have more first hand experience than me in Aussie Land then you know I speak the truth. Unfortunately I found in my lifetime that most Americans, and maybe others, are totally ignorant on Australia if they haven’t been there. I can even remember on one of my last trips there on a call-in radio show an American asking if Aussies wear shoes and go to school. That was in the late 80s, but hopefully we have learned more by now.

I never looked for or wanted a welcome to VCCA from anyone, and still don’t. I’m not looking for an apology or accolade from anyone for any reason. I joined VCCA against my best instincts to get my brother-in-law off my case after his continued urging. I have belonged to many groups over my years, and most turn out to be a less then desirable experience because of issues and activities like just occurred. I blame no one; not the moderators, supporters, detractors, etc. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and the right to express it. That is what I served in the military to defend, and so did the rest of you with military service in your background. Yes, we paid our dues, but we paid them so that others could enjoy this benefit forever, whether they served or not. I don’t know all your rules, but if the moderators have the right to terminate a discussion so be it. Those are the rules I guess, and we all have to live with them, so stop attacking the moderator for doing what he thinks is right. Whether he is right, or anyone in a position of authority is right, will always be open to discussion and disagreement. If you don’t believe me look at President Obama’s decisions.

As far as I am concerned I am no longer a member of VCCA, and I will not renew my membership when it expires. This experience teaches me that my initial instincts not to join were the right ones. Again, I seek no apologies or support from anyone, nor a welcome to VCCA. I’ve already had that I guess. But I have always believed that the darkest clouds have a silver lining. In this case I had some positive experiences. I learned about correct engine and air filter covers for a 28 Chevy. I learned about the fan blade on original 28 Chevrolets. I got some links to some good information sites on tools and tool kits. I met some great people that I will continue to communicate with outside of VCCA. I prefer to look at the good and not the bad. Hopefully all of you have also learned something good from this experience.

So folks, if you want to continue to do battle with each other go ahead, but please don’t do it with regard to me, my vehicle, or my original posting. We are no longer your concern, and you are not the police regarding what I do or say, even though you are Chevrolet fans and “experts”. I can only make a few suggestions for the future.

If you comment on something make sure you fully analyze it and understand it before putting comments on the web (like, read my website before you criticize it and say I said my car was an ORIGINAL; understand what it says and what it does NOT say on your own and don’t accept the word of others).

When you disagree with a member, new or otherwise, do so in a constructive manner and explain the basis for your opinion. Especially to a newbie like me it really is helpful. I already knew some of the thing mentioned, like the finish on the steering wheel, but some things were new and useful information to me, and for that I thank you. If that had been done initially this whole situation would have had a different outcome. All someone had to say is “Your Chevrolet is not ORIGINAL as stated in your post because…….” I would have gone back and reviewed my post, seen the misstatement and agreed with you. And it was a misstatement on my part and nothing more, and I accept responsibility for that. For your information here is something else not original about my car. The driver side door handle is stainless steel. The original pot metal handle had a crack so to prevent further damage when I show it I removed it, repaired it and stored it away. Oh, I also have the rubber boot that someone said was missing. I took it off and stored it so no one would take it as a souvenir at some car show when the doors were open. If you had mentioned it I would have told you about it too. Also, the rubber floor mat has the Chevrolet logo on it, which I assume makes it original since you can’t get those any more to my knowledge, and I’ve looked.

So I will now say adieu to the VCCA and all its members. Enjoy your cars and respect each other. Divisiveness like I just witnessed does not speak well of your organization, and I meant no harm to you or the organization by asking a question about tool kits.. I will enjoy my cars and move on with my life without VCCA being the guardians of my sole or my cars.

This will be my final post to the VCCA forum. I will not access it, refer to it, recommend it to others, or otherwise be involved with it in any way again, and I plan to tell my brother-in-law to shut the hell up if he ever brings it up to me again.

Please let this be the final comment.

Enjoy life and don’t waste what time you have left.

Art

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The word should be "actual xxx miles" not original. The original miles were 0000.

Gene Schneider
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic

A lovely well written letter Art and I have taken a leaf out of your book...

Thank you.

Grant

Cheers Grant.

ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Welcome to Chatter II Art,

I am glad that you cleared that "original vs. Restored" item up for us, your car is a beautifully restored Chevrolet, and I suppose it was done in a manner to please you. That is good. Anyone should be proud of restoreing an old car to the condition of your Chevrolet. In my view, which may be different than yours, I don't put much stock in the miles showing on the odometer, it is a well known fact that these old car odometers can be set on any mileage the speedometer tech chooses, and papers can and often are counterfeited. It helps to have all the knowledge that you have, and are confidential that it is factual.

I apologize to you for any comment I made that may have appeared to have cast doubt on your car or your purpuse for posting that first post. I am truly sorry.

I am sure that you have your agenda, other than the name of your topic 1928 tool kit , at least I hope so. I didn't want to imply that you had a evil agenda. Being proud of your Car is a good enough agenda in my view.

By the way
For those who say my Chevy can’t be original because it doesn’t have the tool kit,
that isn't what I said, but if a car is as original as discribed, and stored as carefully with as much documentation as you have on it, I would think maybe it should of had a tool kit.

I doubt that a 1928 left the dealership without a tool kit of some kind. I have the tools from my 28 Chevrolet (Tire tools, a rim spreader, a jack and handle) hand crank and most of the tools that came in my Dad's 1929 Chevrolet Roadster (waterpump pliers, pliers, open end wrenches, a couple of screwdrivers) that he bought new in Blackwell Oklahoma. I have added tools as I have found them, but haven't a piece of a tool wrap or bag.

Did you find what the tool kit bag looked like?

Restoreing Chevrolets is the best reason I had to join VCCA. I have also enjoyed the social part of owning and restoreing these old Chevrolets, the meetings and tours with others that share the same goals. I hope that this encounter here with Me, Chipper and Antique Mechanic will have a positive outcome and I hope you will do as we often do, forgive and forget any written comments that , even though they were meant to be considered knowledge, caused you and us untold pain. Let us forgive and have a new start. I am sure you will make a fine VCCA member and be an asset to VCCA.

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Well MrMack,
Art already said he is gone and done with the club and I don't blame him. Jump on me like you guys jumped on him and I'm gone too. Seems strange why you guys wonder why you have trouble getting/keeping members. Even your apology was rude. I thought this club was about helping Chevrolet collectors and sharing knowledge but it should be done in a friendly and civil manor not a vindictive one. This is just my lowly opinion and if I am wrong then I don't belong here either.

Ed
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic

Checkmate

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Art,

I posted a light-hearted responce a few days back, hoping for the same in return. However, I have experienced the same thing you have, nothing short of conflictual. I simply ask my questions, filter the responses and get on with business. There are many good folks that use this blog, I hope you stick with it. Those that do stick with it know who to avoid and do so. Happy motoring and enjoy your car.

Last edited by 3rdowner; 01/19/12 10:22 AM.
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
This thread and the previous two contain a bunch of insensitive posts. I hope we all have learned to be more thoughtful and sensitive when we make a post or response.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Gidday Fellas,

Yes Chipper I would agree there were some insensitive posts, I admit I ramped it up a notch, personally cringing is not a good thing to do, I put my tow over the line to make my point loud and clear so that the moderators would sit up and listen, take notice and hopefully a light would flick on upstairs as to where I was coming from with my argument. Did it work?, I think we achieved that, Will it stay?, Well lets hope so but we shall have to wait and watch...

Cheers Grant.

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Grant,
People will be people. None of us are perfect and so mistakes, insensitive comments and other indiscretions are sure to be made in the future. Hopefully they will be forgiven or overlooked if they are not intended to be hurtful or done on purpose. I also hope that people will think about how a message will be received as well as how it is sent.

I have found that life is too short to hold a grudge and forgiveness most often helps both parties. Of course there are a few just plain bad people that is best to ignore or avoid. No not you Charlie.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
sure is nice to see things settle down on the subject. i think everybody has had a chance to refect and is ready to get back to the reason for the vcca. A HAPPY MEMBER, jerry

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Well said to both Grant and Chipper. Now let us all forget and forgive and get back to what this great forum is all about, enjoying our hobby of fascinating old Chevrolet motor cars, helping each other with questions and problems, and most of all friendly fun because if you don't do it for fun and enjoyment why do it at all!
wave carbana
parking

Last edited by Uncle Ed; 01/19/12 11:53 PM.

Ed

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
5 members (CT2TX, kaygee, Rustoholic, Stovblt, 1 invisible), 79 guests, and 21 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,059
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.