Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I am starting to restore my dad’s 1937 Chevy ½ ton pickup. I believe that the gas tank is in good condition, but I am not sure that I want to sit on a working gas tank. My plans are to remove and restore the gas tank if it is possible and put in back under the seat - I will add a working gas tank under the bed. My question is “how do I remove the original tank under the seat”? I know that there are two bands securing it … are they bolted somehow and how do I remove the bands to remove the tank? Thanks for your comments.

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
I suspect your tank is the same as my Holden bodied 38 and yes there are bolts on the strap ends that undo from under the floor. They are generally well rusted and break off when you try undoing them. Use lots of wd40 and sometimes a little heat helps, if you use heat after wd40 check for combustible material above the floor and wrap the strap end with a wet rag while heating under the floor.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks, I will give it a try.

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Tony is correct, the '37 gas tank is bolted as described. There is a drain valve and short hose on the bottom right side, under the cab. If the hose is still there it will need to be removed as well.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks all, I was able to remove the tank - twisted off three of the four nuts. Some rust on the outside, but hopefully it is usable (although I don't plan on using it as the working tank}. I will try and restore it and leave it under the seats for support and originality. There is moisture in the tank,it is possible that some water made its way in when I hosed down the inside of the cab a few months ago.

Terry

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.