Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
buckeye Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Is it possible to covert the mechanical brakes to hydraulic brakes and still retain the stock factory wheels.

Buckeye

Become a Member!

JOIN THE VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Yes, but I don't know why you would want to and depreciate the value of the car in the process. The stock mechanical brakes work great when you have the proper brake linings and the correct adjustments.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
buckeye Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thank you for the reply

I'm concerned about safety, could yoju please let me know where I would get more information on how to make this change
Buckeye

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Mechanical brakes, when restored correctly, are just as safe as hydraulic brakes. However, if you still feel that you need to do the conversion, you should probably to go a street-rod site for information on how to do specific modifications to your car since this site is more for the preservation of original Chevrolets.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
I agree that mechanical brakes are just as safe as hydralics when repaired and adjusted PROPERLY... but if you still feel the need for hydralics...i beleive the filling station has whole kits available for the conversion. Beware the kit is EXPENSIVE though... and value of the car will depreciate.

Fillingstation part No. FS-715K Compleate kit.

Last edited by OilSpot; 10/03/10 12:57 PM.

In my shop, quality is a standard, NOT and option.
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Buckeye - That conversion kit from The Filling Station will give you disc brakes with 5 bolt hubs and only for the front.

If you want to use your original wire wheels there is a solution using Chevrolet parts from later models.

I made this conversion on my '33 coupe 47 years ago with some regrets, but it is possible. Send me an email and I will give you the details of how I got there.

Roger

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Are you also going to change all of the original glass in your '32?

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

buckeye Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I was just checking, I would not change my original confederate. If I would make a change it would be to my beat up confederate.
My original confederate has 83,000 miles on it and has never been touched, From 10 foot away it looks like it just came off the showroom floor, not one ding or spot of rust anywhere. It still has the original interior.

Buckeye

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.