Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to remove the plastic covering on the gauge cluster of my '65 Impala? I know there are screws along the top, but are there screws or clips somewhere else that need to be removed before it will come off? It is real dusty in the inside and I would like to clean it so if someone has any advise, I'm all ears. Thanks.

Wilwood Engineering1955-1957

Willwood Engineering

Wilwood Engineering designs and manufactures high-performance disc brake systems.
Wilwood Engineering, Inc. - 4700 Calle Bolero - Camarillo, CA 93012 - (805) 388-1188

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Okay guys, need some help. I'm out there trying and I just can't seem to figure it out. All I want is to take off the plastic piece that covers the speedometer. It's real dirty on the backside and I want to clean it off. Those screws on top don't seem to do anything and I'm wondering if it is clipped on??? Does it come out in one piece, including the gauge cover and the clock cover??? I'll be waiting for advise. Thanks.

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Sorry don't have a '65. Is it glued together? If so it might need to be carefully cut and pried apart.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
The clear plastic lens has tangs which slip into the black instrument bezel. From memory there is metal springs on the clear plastic and they have to be depressed slighty , and then the clear lens come off. the tangs are along the upper and lower edges of the clear lens.

JACK
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Jack,
I think you are right. Should this be done from the back of the dash or should a guy be able to get a screwdriver in from the front and depress the spring? I don't know if you can get to them from behind very easy.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I had my Instruments out of the dash when i did mine.( 20 years ago).
There is only the 4 upper screws and a couple of bolts with steel clips at the lower edge which hold the bezel assembly to the steel dash insert panel.Plus the wiring harness clip and vacuum line if you have the vacuum gauge.It sounds like you have the radio out already.

JACK
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Next question. Does anyone have an extra lens in case I try to remove it and break some of the clips? I have looked online and in my catalogs and I don't think anyone makes or offers the replacement lenses for anything newer than 1964. I would just leave it, but it is so dusty inside that it just looks like crud. Maybe I'll put a post in the "Wanted" section.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.