Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
ESmyth Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hi guys -

I've been a VCCA member for a long time, and been happily keeping my '32 5 window coupe going thanks to JYD and a host of the other stovebolt 6 guys.

I can't tell if I'm crazy or brave, but I decided to take a look at a '47 Stylemaster nearby for the next project car. It looks great from the outside (you can see it if you visit www.wantaddigest.com, and look under Classic Chevs) but it has a host of needs on the inside and around:

- rear springs are separating; looks like they'll need to be replaced
- the brakes need replacing
- wiring is problematic - the previous owner did a cockeyed job of converting to 12V
- dashboard wiring, gauges, and controls are screwed up (I'd use a bad word but I'm staying polite..;l)...) I think the previous owner had an idea of converting to 12V and then clumsily tried to figure out how to get the wiring and the gauges to work after the fact
- steering is worn - could be the worm screw, tie rods, or combination
- key systems all missing or need work - heater, defroster, wiper motor, signals
- current owner says 2nd gear whines when accelerating

What danger points should I really consider or look at carefully before I make a decision to buy, or walk away? In particular, are there key points with the standard shift and transmission that I should really think hard about? They're asking $3500 or BO.

Last edited by ESmyth; 05/01/10 08:23 PM.
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Hello Esmyth

Looked at the site and the car. Just my opinion, but unless you are willing to spend tons of money on it, lots and lots of time repairing, see top bar of grille missing, looks like rest of grille painted and somehow cocked in opening, et al, 3500 sounds high to me. But than, I am very pesmestic, also somewhat a realist. My 48 2 dr in much better shape, but not done, have a ton of money in it also. Might be better to find one in better shape and spend a few extra bucks to purchase and less money and time to get it right. That blue interior didn't help either. Just my thoughts and opinion on this matter. Best to you and good luck.

Jim.

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
E Smyth,

Jim makes good points.

A "nice" 47-48 Chev (even a sedan) is worth quite a bit more than $3500. The problem with this deal is I don't believe you could get this one to be a "nice" one for the difference.

I'd suggest looking for a better one. To me, this one looks like a money pit. Resulting in a big case of buyer's remorse.....
auto curse

Bill.

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
I also agree with the above. I would probably pass on that car.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Hi Esmyth,

Sometimes it's hard to fall in love sometimes it's not? Can you fall in love with a four door that easily knowing that it will never award you financially for any amount of work you do? Will the guys and girls give it much of a second look?

Look for something that makes your heart go pitter-pat. Then the money spent doesn't matter so much. My 41 sedan or 77 Impala will never make any investment sense but they give me no end of enjoyment and make my heart go pitter-pat, and yes people say they are "kick [bleeped] cars."

Good Luck, Mike

Mike 41 Chevy
ESmyth Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Well guys, these are all sound answers coming from guys who've been around the block a few times.

I'll walk away, then. I don't mind tackling an old survivor that needs a second life, but I'm leery of having to figure out (and pay for!) someone else's poor workmanship. Such a shame for what probably what was a decent car that got hacked up.

I hear you on the "pitter patter". I actually dig '49 fastbacks, so I was getting close - I'll keep looking -- !

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
You may look for a aero

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Looking at the pictures it looks to me looks like it has a lot of potential. New wiring harness isn’t that much. And I’d sure put it back to 6v. I’m sure with a bit of searching you could find a grill. The interior is available form someone like Hampton. It depends on how much filler was slapped on before the new paint job but just at a quick glance the basic body looks fairly solid. Springs aren’t all that much and Eaton can supply them. A front-end, steering and suspension rebuild in my opinion an absolute must do on any vehicle that is 60 years old before I’d ever drive it on the highway. Three speed transmission rebuild is not a major task and lots of NOS and used parts are still available for them. Some searching would turn up heaters and wiper motors. No mention of the motor, but lots of 216’s available many for give away prices.
It says Best Offer, I’d lo-ball it and see what he would take for it. Even at $3,500 to me it looks like a fair enough price. I would expect to have around $10,000 in about any vehicle that I restored doing the labor my self.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
I'll walk away, then. I don't mind tackling an old survivor that needs a second life, but I'm leery of having to figure out (and pay for!) someone else's poor workmanship. Such a shame for what probably what was a decent car that got hacked up.

You are doing the right thing by walking away. You won't be sorry and you probably saved yourself a lot of grief. Your better judgment and experience prevailed.

Good luck with your search.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ESmyth Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Denny, you make much sense and raise some excellent points. I think Skipper prevails on this one..!

Last edited by ESmyth; 05/11/10 10:29 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.