Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hi,

I have a '65 Impala Convertible that has just completed a frame-off restoration. As a matter of fact, it's still waiting at the body shop for me. It didn't start out as a frame off, but once they got into it, the frame was starting to rust and had to be beefed up, so it ended up being one. I replaced most of the chrome and emblems including the grill, headlight eyebrows, headlight bezels, both hood and trunk emblems, wheel-well moldings, rocker panel moldings, etc... The ones I have were in pretty good shape, but I figured as long as I went this far, I might as well replace everything. Anyway, when I was in there about a month ago, the front windshield molding was on, and the top piece has a good sized ding in it (looks like a baseball may have hit it at some time). The guy said that he thought I was going to replace it, and I said that I couldn't find the molding for a convertible. The only molding I could find said it was for a hardtop only. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the convertible moldings and the hardtop moldings? Does anyone know if there are any convertible moldings available? I'm pretty excited about getting it back, although it wasn't a cheap process. The only negative about the car is that the engine has been changed. Somewhere along the line, someone put a 350 in it, but it runs real good. Maybe someday down the road I'll find a 327 for it. Thanks for any replies.

Wilwood Engineering1955-1957

Willwood Engineering

Wilwood Engineering designs and manufactures high-performance disc brake systems.
Wilwood Engineering, Inc. - 4700 Calle Bolero - Camarillo, CA 93012 - (805) 388-1188

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Are you talking about the large trim that the convertible has, which goes all the way over the top. It is a unique piece for the convertible, but is common from 1965 to 1970 convertibles. It is the only piece wide enough to have a base ball size ding.

There is smaller trims that are installed after the windshield is installed to fill the last 3/4 " gap. The side trims on the convertible are about an inch shorter , but i think that the upper trim is only about 1/8 inch shorter to allow for the side vertical stainless mouldings.

You may have to have the large trim repaired (if it is dented), which can be done since it is made from stainless steel, and repolished. They do come up on ebay (used) every now and then, but tend to be expensive.

JACK
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
If it is the Large Molding as mentioned above, send me a PM if you are still looking for one. I have the Windshield Trim available too, but if they are the same or usable from a Hard Top car, they are now available new, altho probably only as a complete set and not separate.

Bill

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Yes, it is the large piece that goes across the top windshield frame. I just looked at my '65 sales brochure and figured out that on the convertible it is wider because it has to cover the windshield frame while on the hardtop, the roof is there, so it is more narrow.

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
i assume the trim piece with the dent in it is stainless steel and if so, its not a problem to remove the dent and polish the stainless trim.hemmings has folks that can do the job for you if you lack the needed tools. good luck,mike

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Bill,
My plans are to pick up the car on Friday. I'll double check then, but I'm sure it's the long wide piece that goes across the top. If I decide to replace it, I'll be in touch. Otherwise, I may just try to take the dent out myself and polish it up.

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
when removing the dent, lay the moulding on an anvil or large thick piece of oak. don't attermpt to remove the dent in just one blow of the ball peen hammer. rather use munltiple gentle blows to return to the original profile. don't overstretch the metal. once its close, gently sand the marks made by the ball peen hammer. i use 150 grit for the initial sanding then go to finer grit paper (300 then 600) . to finish off the stainless, use 3M Trizact Hookit II which will negate the need for an expensive buffer and buffing compound. these new 3M products almost eliminate the need to use the Baldor buffing machine. good luck,mike

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks alot, Mike for the advise. I was hoping someone would chime in with some "how to" instructions. We'll see what happens. Thanks again.

Randy

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hey guys, sorry it took so long to get back to this post. Well, I was wrong about which trim piece it is. It is NOT the large wide piece that goes over the top of the windshield frame. It IS the top piece that fills in the windshield gap. I believe it measures about 1/8" wide. Does anyone know how this piece comes off? Would anyone have one of these laying around? Would this piece be different on the hardtop models or would the same piece work on the convertible? If I can get it off, I may just try to pound the dent out and see how it looks, unless someone has one they want to get rid of.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
The 3 piece trim which covers the windsheild is held on with spring clips. there is a tool ilustrated in the 1965 body service manual. It is 1/16" flat steel with a 90 degree tapered point hook on the end. It slides on the glass and under the trim, disengages the clip, and the trim then comes off.

It is the same trim as the hardtop, only about 3/16 inches shorter.

Last edited by jack39rdstr; 05/01/10 12:55 AM.

JACK
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
So would the hardtop trim work on the convertible?

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Yes, it should work, but you will have to trim it down, as the convertible trim is shorter due to the stainless side trims.

JACK
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Originally Posted by jack39rdstr
there is a tool ilustrated in the 1965 body service manual. It is 1/16" flat steel with a 90 degree tapered point hook on the end. It slides on the glass and under the trim, disengages the clip, and the trim then comes off.

If anyone out there knows where a picture of one of those Factory Trim Removal Tools would be, I sure would like to check on one. Or if someone could suggest an alternative tool that would be just as good. I can usually get trim off without too much trouble, but I have run into a couple lately that were hard to get out without damaging.

Bill

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I have emailed a picture to you Bill.

JACK
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Jack,

I got the picture, thanks, sure do appreciate it.

Bill

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
1 members (Oldiron), 79 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
SabrinaKarras, Speedy1
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,072
Posts429,077
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.