Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I bought a 39 Chevy 2DR sedan, all original. The title has the 7 digit block number for the VIN. There is a VIN tag on the passenger side of the cowl also. The car was produced in Oakland and had 3 owners, all in CA. I have a copy of the title from 1947 (second owner) that also reflects the block number. Is this correct? I live in AZ and am taking it to DMV tomorrow. I don't think it will be a problem, but what happens if I change the engine? Is there a frame number on these cars that match the block number and where is that located?

I'd appreciate any help. I searched for hours on the internet and found nothing.

Thanks for your help.

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
There is no frame number on your vehicle. The car was titled by either the car serial number or the engine serial number depending upon in which state it was registered.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks.

Do you think it possible to get the VIN number put on the title instead of the block serial number?

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Online Content
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
It depends on your state licensing authority. If it still has, and you're planning on keeping, the original engine why change it? VIN stands for Vehicle Identification Number. The engine number IS the VIN in engine number states. Personally I believe the hassles of re-titling when an engine was changed is what led to scrapping the use of the engine number after '55. Kansas is/was an engine number state and I'm proud that I still have the original engine in my '38.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I am keeping it original for now. Living in AZ without A/C really limits the comfort of driving, so I'd like to install air. Therefore, I was considering a little more power for that reason.

Arizona is a very difficult state for titling cars. I had a 29 Ford without a title. It has a VIN on the frame under the body. They told me in order to title it with that VIN, I would have to cut a hole through the floor of the car so that it could be seen.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Colorado is not so tough. I too have a 37 titled with the engine number. When I took the car to the cop shop for VIN verification, I asked the "what if I replace the engine" question. They said "no problem, just document what you have done." I have a new ID plate from Chev's of the 40's and showed that to the officer and said that I was considering haveing the engine number engraved on the plate and then mounting this on the body next to the information plate on the right side under the hood. He thought that was a good idea.

When I bought my car, it did not have a title. Colorado has a procedure for this which I followed. I had to have the state do a search on the VIN number to verify that it was not stolen. Then I had to write a brief story about why there was no title. When I submited the paperwork, I had a title within two weeks.

Good luck,

Rich

1937 Master Deluxe 4-door Sport Sedan
Restoration project 99% complete
May never get to 100%
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Rich

I took your advise and just bought a replacement tag on Ebay. I'll just stamp it with the engine number and remove the original VIN plate. Then if I change the engine, it won't be a problem the next time it's titled.

Thanks, Neil

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Neil
I live in Tucson & about a year ago I took a 33 std to MVD with the Washington title stating the engine number which is still in the car. I pointed out to them that the original serial number was still on the body in the original location by the seat. MVD said they would retitle with that number instead of the block number. Don't tell them you're going to street rod it or they may give it an Azmvd number. I realize each office is different. The first thing the inspector wanted me to do was open drivers door so I ask for a supervisor.
Good luck, Joe

See America's First...Chevrolet

1931 Sedan Delivery 31570
1933 Standard Sports Coupe 33628.
1934 Master Sedan Delivery Canadian 177/34570
1968 Z/28 Camaro
1969 SS 396 Camaro

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.