Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hello again,
I'm working my way down my "to-do" list on all the nagging little problems on my 55 Bel Air.
So far the advise on this site has helped me sort out a tranny noise, got my speedometer quiet, helped make my dash lights brighter, and led me to a helpful gentleman who rebuilt my old tube radio.
Today's problem is with the heater blower motor.
It is rarely used as this is a fair weather car, but on a last roadtrip in the fall, I turned it on and nothing happened.
Last night I had a look, and the squirrel cage was damned near seized.
I turned on the blower, and with a little prodding from a long screwdriver, freed up the cage, and it began spinning, indicating the motor is OK.
I do believe that the motor should be turning faster, and believe that a cleaning and lubing would solve my woes.
But before I begin ripping out the motor, I figured I better ask if anyone knows weather the unit is servicable. The back (engine side) of the motor is obviously sealed, and would like to know if it can be disassembled from the other end.
I'd hate to go through the effort of pulling it, only to find there is nothing I can do to make it better.
"Plan B" is to leave it together, and just let it run full speed every time I have the car out, hoping it will free itself up with use.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Wilwood Engineering1955-1957

Willwood Engineering

Wilwood Engineering designs and manufactures high-performance disc brake systems.
Wilwood Engineering, Inc. - 4700 Calle Bolero - Camarillo, CA 93012 - (805) 388-1188

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
I think your motor will progressively get worse. It is suffering from lack of lubrication.

You can't remove the motor from the engine side. You will have to remove the heater and then the motor.

When out, give the motor a good blowing out with compressed air. Remove the fan and clean. Now use either WD-40 or better 3-in-1 oil, and with the shaft pointing up, put the lubrication at the base of the shaft as it enters the motor. Turn the motor by hand or better yet, connect to a battery and allow the oil to enter the motor. Now things get touchy. On the back end of the motor where there is a slight hump in the motor, drill a very small hole in the exact center. With the shaft facing down use the same lubrication as above and put some in the small hole. Again, spin the shaft. Do not over lube the motor.

Inspect the fan to make sure it is not dirty (would make the fan unbalanced)and reinstall.

If the above treatment doesn't work, get a new motor.

Agrin devil

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I have attempted to service the motor as described, but the end result seems to be lacking.
I would feel best replacing the motor with a new one, or at least a good used unit.
I have had no luck in finding a replacement.
Does anyone know a source for these motors?

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
New heater fan motors are available from East Coast Chevy, ...www.eastcoastchevy.com........

Gene Schneider
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
years ago I was able to locate one at my local NAPA store

Ken
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Ken,

Most all replacement parts were available at NAPA, Chev dealers parts counters, etc in "those" days. Like 40 years ago, in 1968 - - when 1955 Chevys were "just" 13 year old used cars.

For me it was around 1980 and the car was my '57 Nomad that needed a heater motor. HA!!! We're all showing our age, at least a bit...

Bill.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Bill--guess your right.
Got my blower motor in 94--just for grins--I am going to give my buddy at NAPA a call tomorrow and see what he can come up with.

Ken
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Ken,

Ya never know. Definitely best to at least check on it.

I do recall a NAPA guy giving me a catalogue for their "old cars division" something like 10-12 yrs ago. I never did buy anythig out of that catalogue and I don't know if that "old car" part of NAPA is still operating.

Maybe somebody can comment on that....

Bill.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Called NAPA today and we tried looking through his vintage parts books, but they stop at 64 now. Pretty sure he could match it up with one of theirs. Oh well, at least mine still works.

Ken

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.