Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#378541 11/11/16 09:29 PM
ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
I have a suggestion for a revision of one current answer/question and a new question and answer. See below.

Thanks, Dean

Old question:
How do I find posts that may already have the answer to the question I have?

New Question
How do I search the Chatter Forums for info?

New answer:
You can find information previously posted by using the Search Function. Before posting a question, check to see if it has already been asked - and answered! You can perform a quick keyword search or search by more specific criteria. Note that you must be a VCCA member to use the Search Function.

For more information about how to use the Search Function, see this post: Search function tips

New question:
What are some of the benefits of joining the VCCA?

Answer:
There are many benefits to joining the VCCA. Here is how one member described them:
1. Great Club.
2. Great Magazine.
3. Great Web Site.
4. Informative and entertaining articles.
5. Back Issues.
6. Magazine help for “how-to” projects
7. On Line Help for “how to” projects.
8. Direct contact help for any project.
9. Free opportunity to sell or buy things on line
10. Free opportunity to sell or buy things in the magazine.
11. Part Numbers & references.
12. Price estimates.
13. Referral's for products, parts or assistance.
14. Manuals for assistance.
15. Direct access to Chevrolet knowledge.
16. 24/7* tech help. {*almost}
17. Hands on support.
18. Judging Standards & Information.
19. Chevy events.
20. Car Shows
21. Touring events.
22. Swap Meets.
23. Regional meetings & events
24. National meetings & events.
25. International meetings & events.
26. Expert advice.
27. Conversations, both informative & entertaining.
28. Large Club membership standing.
29. Chance to share knowledge.
30. Online friends.
31. Online help.
32. Online chat.
33. Online reference information.
34. New relationships.
35. New friends.
36. Fun.
37. Laughs.
38. Entertainment.
39. Photographs.
40. Education.
41. Camaraderie.
42. Chance to give back.
43. Free Hot Dogs. If you play your cards right.

Follow this link for more information about joining the VCCA: https://vcca.site-ym.com/general/pick_username.asp

Last edited by Rustoholic; 09/14/20 01:05 PM.

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Hi Dean,

You have done an outstanding job of outlining a strong case for improvements to our chat site and membership in our organization.

Here are my perceptions:

Use of our chat site is at an all time low, fewer people find it useful, the SEARCH process is too hard to use, the hobby is dying out, people are uncomfortable providing information/responses, we are all getting to old to reply to questions, we do not find the time to regularly answer questions.

Here is my story:

1998 bought 1977 2 door Impala, did some basic cleanup of engine area, found two front fenders at local junk yard to replace rusty originals, stripped chrome off of car, had car painted. I still have the car.

2002 built Dream Garage, Bought 41 Chevy in fall of 2002 from post on ebay, happened upon VCCA Central Meet in Midland, MI, where I live, in July 2003. Spoke with two 41 owners and shot a lot of video of their cars. One owner, Phil Hubbard, drove my car to tell me his impression of its overall condition. Stayed in contact with Phil until his death.

Joined VCCA in 2004, began using chat site anonymously, embarrassed by my lack of automotive knowledge so didn't make 1st post until 2007. Had manual and local car guys for advice and help. I normally checkout our site a couple of times each day. The aging process has impacted my memory so it takes a lot of effort to type and research responses I post.

If it were not for Gene and a handful of others on this site I would not be completing a frame off restoration on my 41. I have not driven my car in 3 years and will finish its restoration this winter.

If we do not allow everyone interested in our hobby to post we will find a hobby where we will be posting mostly obits to each other. The VCCA needs to put maintaining the hobby, first, there should be no restrictions to the use of this site.

Thanks, Mike

P.S. Put Dean's FAQ advice permanently at the top of each topical arrangement of this site.

Last edited by Mike Buller; 11/12/16 10:25 AM.

Mike 41 Chevy
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
I do agree Dean that improvements could be made. Also Mike makes a good argument for access for all but I did not see any suggestion for how to share the expense of the site. Unfortunately maintaining and updating this site does have a cost and I think that those who benefit should share the cost whether a VCCA member or not.

Steve D
m006840 #378582 11/12/16 03:01 PM
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
What is the cost of maintaining our chat site? It seems if we need money we could ask for donations or ask venders for support. What is our Association"s annual budget? Where is the money allocated? Seems that the Filling Station is the only advertiser we currently have?

Thanks, Mike

Mike 41 Chevy
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
All good questions Mike which I do not have answers to. Most likely should come from someone on the VCCA Board of Directors, perhaps Jim Amos who is the treasurer. I do know that several put in a lot of volunteer hours and without them it would cost a lot more.

Steve D
m006840 #378592 11/12/16 06:08 PM
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Just a short reply. Sorry, but I don't have time for an extended discussion on this. Too much to do between now and Dec 31st. Still working on vehicle model definitions.

1) The approximate cost of Chat is about $1,000 a year. That is all software, server hosting and domain expenses.

2) ALL labor in running the site is VOLUNTARY. In the past 15 years, we have never paid anyone for their time and effort (administrator, software developer, graphics creator, Spam defender, moderators and content testers and indexers)

3) One of the great things about Chat is that our strategy for allowing advertisers is very subtle. Unlike almost all other web sites which SHOUT IN YOUR FACE all of the time, our paid advertising is subtle and topic specific.

For a look at all of our current advertisers, go H-E-R-E

Bill Barker
Previous VCCA CHAT Administrator
(VCCA Member: 9802)
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks Dean for posting this. The only thing I am missing out on is the free hot dogs. It's a greet club to belong to.
Cheers from Paul Mitchell New Zealand.
PS. I just wish I could have a lesson on how to post Photos.

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Paul, I take the pictures with my phone and then text to my email. From the email I download them to the computer. Doing it this way I have not had an issue with the image being too big,

I then click the use full editor button below the quick reply box I am typing in. What opens is boxes with icons and highlighted in blue is Attachment Manager (Total Files: 0) . You may have to page down to see it. Click on Attachment manager. Another smaller box appears with a choice of select a file to attach. Click on that and find the picture on your computer you want to upload and click on it and then the open button. It may take a few seconds but when finished you click on done.

Then to the bottom and click on post reply. I tested it as I went and it seemed to work.

Dave

Attached Images
31 frt new bumper.jpg
Last edited by Dave39MD; 11/03/18 04:33 PM.
ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
BTW, the only way to get to the Full Editor is when creating a new post or editing a post that was created with the Full Editor.

If you use the Quick Reply box, the software 'remembers' that the post was created in the Quick Reply and will use it again when you edit the post.

I just recently found this 'feature'.

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.