VCCA Home
Posted By: 62BillT '61 283-230 Turboglide to 4-Speed? - 02/16/09 03:21 AM
I have a '61 283-230 that was originally a Turboglide that was evidently changed by Chevrolet to a Powerglide. We may want to put a 4-Speed set up on it and someone mentioned that the crankshaft on a TG engine may be different. If that is true, I'm not sure what they would have had done to convert it to a PG as the cast iron PG is still on there, but my question is, will we have any problems putting a 4-Speed set up on it? I'm wondering if it will take a normal size pilot bushing.

Any info would be appreciated.

Bill
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: '61 283-230 Turboglide to 4-Speed? - 02/16/09 03:29 AM
A Turboglide had a much larger hole for where the pilot bearing would go on a stick. There were some after market places that made a special pilot bearing for them.
It was more common to replace the T.G. with an aluminum P.G. as it was a more "natural" conversion. The T.G. engine strater mounted differently for one thing and it was the smae as the aluminum P.G.

In the later '60's Chevrolet sold an aluminum P.G. to replace the T.G. It came with all the pieces necessary for the conversion (for 1958-61).
Posted By: 62BillT Re: '61 283-230 Turboglide to 4-Speed? - 02/16/09 03:52 AM
Gene,

Do you (or anyone else out there) know where I could possibly find a pilot bushing to fit it?

This particular engine with the TG has a date code of May '61. The Cast Iron PG on there now has a date code of August of '61. Altho the first Aluminum PG's were in some '62's, it was probably just a little bit too early for the dealer conversion for it to be an Alumunium one.

Bill
Bill,
There is an aftermarket company that sells a line of products bubble packed under the "Help" name I had seen the exact bushing you are looking for in a Pep Boys store a few years ago. I bought it to compliment a TG 348 crank I had on the shelf, in the event I ever needed to place it into service for my four speed car. I will check to see if there is a part number on it, or at the very least take a few demensions it should be an easy task to make.
I found this on line Dorman manufctures them pretty sure it is part number 690-035
http://www.dormanproducts.com/catalog/hardware2006/360-365_Sec18_Part1.pdf

I have good connection for Dorman parts if he has it I can pick it up and have it out to you on Tuesday
John
Posted By: 62BillT Re: '61 283-230 Turboglide to 4-Speed? - 02/16/09 01:49 PM
Thanks John. I'll try giving that number to my local parts store to see if they can get it and I'll let you know. Appreciate the help.

Bill
Posted By: chuick Re: '61 283-230 Turboglide to 4-Speed? - 02/26/09 06:31 PM
Hi Bill, Year One lists the turboglide to standard trans pilot bushing. Their part # is CTG0689. Hope this helps if you havn't found one. Chuick
Posted By: 62BillT Re: '61 283-230 Turboglide to 4-Speed? - 02/27/09 03:04 AM
Chuick,

I checked with my local parts store and they can get me one, but it's always good to have another part number to keep on file.

Thanks

Bill
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum