VCCA Home
Posted By: Yeo Yeo New kid on the block - 01/28/02 01:47 AM
Hey guys, I'm trying to learn more about this site! I joined the VCCA about a year ago, but let my membership expire a couple months ago(shame on me, check's in the mail).
I bought an old 58 Yeoman 2dr wagon project that I'm in the process of restoring.My wife was a "Yeoman" in the Navy, so therefore....
Actually, I now have 2 yeomans, one Brookwood, and a few 2 dr posts (all junkers) with the hope of building just one decent Yeoman for her. The 50's chevys are new to me, I'm as green as they come, but not afraid to dive in and learn.
Posted By: John 348/340HP Re: New kid on the block - 01/28/02 03:21 AM
Welcome aboard, I not th 58 guy Ollie is but besides us I am sure that many of the members will help you out. Keep us posted on the project, and maybe put a post about the car, drive train ect.
Later John 348/340HP
Posted By: bowtieollie Re: New kid on the block - 01/28/02 12:27 PM
Hi Yeo Yeo,

Clever name you coined there - never thought of that one.

So, two Yeoman's??? Hmmmm, wonder which one will give you more trouble??

Anyhow, if you run into a problem - just post it here - I, as well as the rest of th VCCA clan, will be more than happy to offer our opinions.

Good luck with that restoration!!!!
Posted By: Yeo Yeo Re: New kid on the block - 01/28/02 08:44 PM
Thanks, well tonight I'm going to start stripping a Biscayne down to the frame and use it for the Yeoman. The Yeoman frame is rusted all the way through in a couple places since it was flat on the ground in the dirt.I'm assuming that all the frames are the same dimensions? I did'nt see any variations in the 58 shop manual I have. The Biscayne I'm tearing down must have had a V-8 in it based on the 'V' on the hood and what appears to be 'short motormounts? Also, there's an 'overdrive pull handle under the dash. Would that make the rearend that's still in it 4:11 gears? I'm not sure what drivetrain to put back in it, but I've found a 1960 348 (out of a truck?) I can buy, needs overhauling. I'm not sure what transmission to go with yet. I've got 2 old powerglides (cast) but may not go that route. There's a guy down the road that will sandblast the frame, rearend, and suspension components, and powdercoat for 275.00 Sounds reasonable to me.
I'd post a picture of my pile of rust if this site allows that sort of thing. I have'nt checked yet. Well anyway, time to get down and dirty.
Posted By: Yeo Yeo Re: New kid on the block - 01/31/02 12:29 PM
Have'nt heard from anybody here, so I talked to a couple local people who said the 58 frame is interchangable on all passenger cars. Hope they're right, 'cause I stripped down a 58 Biscayne frame to the nubs last night, going to the sandblasters tomarrow for clean-up and powdercoating.
Posted By: Speedline Re: New kid on the block - 01/31/02 05:20 PM
Hi Yeo Yeo-

I am not certain, but I believe that the frame from a convertible is different from the 1958 hardtop passenger frame, because of necessary reinforcement. It doesn't sound like that will be a problem for you unless someone switched frames on you. wink

SPEEDLINE
Posted By: Yeo Yeo Re: New kid on the block - 01/31/02 06:02 PM
Thanks, speedline, I think your right on the conv. frame being slightly different in the back. I was shown a wrecked convertible by a guy who was restoring it and it looked a little different in the trunk/bumper area.
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum