VCCA Home
Posted By: brewster The Great Race 2015 - 06/17/15 02:04 AM
Welcome to the VCCA's coverage of The 2015 Great Race!! Our very own John Hudson & his Grandson Scott Hudson have taken to the road and are mailing in the reports to Grandma Conne Hudson. Conne has taken up the task of typing it all out into journal form, and is emailing it out to the VCCA members on her contact list. With her permission, I will be taking all of her writings and pictures and posting to the Chat Site for all of us to read.

John & Scott are not forum members (We hope this changes sometime on the road!!) but we are going to pass the link to this thread on to them so that they can receive your comments and well wishes while on the road.

If anyone has any questions about the race, please feel free to post them and we will attempt the best we can to have them answered. John & Scott will be VERY busy with the task they have ahead of them, but questions may get passed through Conne to them. Understand that I will be getting the same information that you will see in the posts, so even though it will look like I am posting all of this I really know as much as all of you.

Here are the stars of our journal, Driver: John Hudson and Navigator: Scott Hudson

[Linked Image from i150.photobucket.com]
Posted By: brewster Re: The Great Race 2015 - 06/17/15 02:08 AM
And now, the words of Conne Hudson...

Hi! All,

John & Scott's journey to get to the Great Race has begun as of 7 a.m. this morning (15th-Mon.).....For those of you not familiar with the Great Race & the route, etc. please go online to: www.GreatRace.com where you will look for Car #60 for the posting of scores daily and info. -- it will follow Route 66 from St. Louis, MO. to Santa Monica, CA.

Scott will be 23 in August and is now engaged to be married in the summer of 2016!! He started with Grandpa at the age of 13 as his navigator and has honed his skills whereby just maybe they have a good chance at the top 5 in the Race this yr.!!!!! Gramma is very proud & hopes it can "happen" as this may be the last Race he will be able to participate in -- he has been "subbing" for the Baldwinsville, NY school system since Jan. with hopes a job will be offered by Sept. here thereby cutting his chances to go again with the school year ending after the start of the Great Race next year......

Of course, weeks before, John has checked over each and every inch of his car -- '40 Chevy coupe -- Car # 60 -- STOVBOLT.....every nut and bolt!!!! Packed his tool chest, contemplated all the parts he "might" need for the trip....done all his "homework" here on the homefront to make sure "wife" does not have any problems while he is away.... finished most of his projects he had been working on "car restorations, etc." --- HE has been a BUSY GUY!!!!!!!

I am always amazed when he appears with (a) duffel bag "ready to go" for 3/4 wks. --- I would have about 3 suitcases FULL -- ;))
He would never admit it......but his stomach the last few days has been a bit "rumbly"...... and up at the crack of dawn too.....so have deducted that he may get just a bit "anxious" to go or get underway.....once on the road that calms ......and Scott and he get into a routine....!!

Their first overnight will be with good friends, Ched & Rachel Mertz in Pittsburgh, PA. tonight.....as the Race starts on Wed. with pre-race events & tech inspection, etc. in St. Louis, MO. ......
The actual start of the Race is on Sat., June 20th from St. Louis, MO.
They undoubtedly ran thru some rainy weather today & in southern NYS some roads were closed due to flooding conditions after the HARD rains we rec'd last night..... They left here all polished up and "clean as a whistle" but won't arrive in Pittsburgh, PA. tonight that way I'm sure....

I wish them "God Speed" and "Safe Travels" & return home to family with stories to tell and many "Aces" along the way.....!!

Until I hear from them again..... (as they promised to call....).......

Hugs, Conne
Posted By: brewster Re: The Great Race 2015 - 06/17/15 02:18 AM
Hi! Folks......

Well --- can't say they are off to a good start......Pictures below show the damage to the trunk (smack dab in the middle of the trunk quite a crease) & bumper (came loose along with right tail light gone) on a rear-end collision with a pick-up truck just outside of Pittsburgh, PA. --- Just about 3 miles from Ched & Rachel Mertz's house for the overnight stop.....!!!!!

They said they were O.K. -- no whiplash -- no injuries involved......"Thank the Lord".....could have been a lot worse!!
And, this morning they pushed off after securing the trunk & back bumper with a tow strap and some other "fixes"....... don't know how bad the trunk will leak and will have to deal with that on the way.....
A big "thank-you" for the Mertz's help and hospitality!
The weather looks a bit unsettled with lots of rain and storms thru Ohio today......planning on arriving in Indiana tonight.....if all goes well.....
And the journey continues.....
SAFE TRAVELS!!

Until I hear from them again.....

Hugs, Conne
Posted By: brewster Re: The Great Race 2015 - 06/17/15 02:26 AM
John Hudson, driver, Scott Hudson, grandson, 23, navigator, has participated in the Great Race since he was 13 yrs. old!! Before that, John's navigator was Raymond Rice from Baldwinsville, NY.

First thing every morning--Scott, navigator, picks up his instruction booklet for the day....it could be 20--30 pages long...

This pic shows the clipboard mounted on the dash along with a clock w/second hand and the Timewise speedometer (specially used by participants...which is used for the scoring...Scott is going over the day's instructions before leaving...

Below: Scott is showing the prized ACE award....It is a PERFECT score for a "leg" on that day's race -- (there are up to 7-8 "legs" each day!) Here he is holding 2 ACES for that day's accomplishments....and his mother shaved his haircut with the term before the Race as an incentive!!

This pic shows all the accumulated ACES on the '40 Chevy coupe --Car #60...

Conne
Posted By: brewster Re: The Great Race 2015 - 06/17/15 02:32 AM
Hi! Folks,

Today I can report there were no incidents or mishaps!! Yay!!!!
They started this morning from Pittsburgh, PA. at 8:30 a.m. after some repair to the trunk.....took some foam tape to seal some places where water would seep thru....and off down the road they flew....
Tonight John called to say they had run thru more rainy weather and had arrived in Bloomington, Indiana for the overnight.....only about 250 miles from the destination now....just outside St. Louis, MO. -- for the start of the Race on Sat. 20th....
Scott was out for his "run" as his knees fair better if he does.....& then he and Grandpa would shower & "turn in".....for the night!
Excited, tired, and anticipating the renewal of old friends and making some new ones as well....
Goodnight dear ones and safe travels tomorrow!

Hugs, Conne
Posted By: brewster Re: The Great Race 2015 - 06/17/15 10:22 PM
Here are some facts & regulations on the Great Race:

Please go to www.greatrace.com -- "Regulations" -- II.-H -- (bet you rookies did not know ALL these facts!!)

Cars must be 1972 or earlier!

Classes: Grand Championship, Expert, Sportsman & X-Cup and a
Rookie Class..... each with its own purse and then an overall
championship class purse.....

Entry Fees: Platinum -- $8,000.
Corporate -- $7,000.
Private -- $5,000.
X-cup -- $1,500. (this class is a high school/college/youth
group class)

There is a Travel Coordinator for the Tour that arranges all rooms/overnights.....(room chgs. are the participants responsibility in
in addition to the Entry fee)

Estimate for total charges per Race.....$10,000. or higher.....depending on a lot of factors, ie., food, gas, pre-Race and post-Race travel plans, etc.

Our "boys" go by way of the "seat of their pants" style......no support, except for the tools, parts they carry with them....but some hire support crews with add'l trailer w/ workshops within, etc.

I've often asked the question, "What if....." & the reply has always been probably rent a U-Haul trailer or truck and come back on home!!!! :((

And, when choosing a navigator --- always ask the question -- Do you become carsick when reading a map? -- Why, you ask? -- because going down the road reading the instructions, computing the numbers, looking for landmarks and calling out the speed/time......I told hubby early on ---- he chose the right navigator in Scott because I get carsick just riding & trying to follow a map!! Another question is: Are you good at numbers, figures, etc.? Me, NO.....Scott, EXCELLENT!!

I could go on & on, but probably boring everyone by now......!
Hope I didn't scare anyone away....!
It's too late to register for this yr. but seriously think about it for 2016!! (Applications are being taken NOW for next yr.!).....

Conne Hudson
Posted By: brewster Re: The Great Race 2015 - 06/18/15 02:11 PM
Day #3 on the road was a wet one for the "boys" pulling into St. Louis, MO......after securing their room, making sure everything was in readiness for tech inspection tomorrow morning, they were cleaning up to go to the reception held at Hyman Ltd. Classic Cars! An outstanding collection of cars for the car enthusiast....you might like to look them up online at www.hymanltd.com

For those of you that have never participated in the Great Race there is a lot to know ahead of time to get ready for the Race......

John & Scott have been out numerous times of day in both hot and cold conditions or if they have modified anything on the car before the Race, etc. -- to rework the numbers for scoring.....Such things as taking turns (how wide to go or being consistent turning -- period!) Stopping/starting again or the dreaded delay -- for instance getting behind a haywagon or traffic delay & figuring the time delay for that....These are all factors in the scoring! Scott has worked up many numbers on a chart for "his eyes only"--(as each car has a set of numbers for their own car & its performance).....

Also, the driver has to obey the navigator's vocal instructions so there must be a bond or trust built between them.....when nav. says GO the driver must GO without hesitation.....!!

A story from a prior Race -- John & Scott were coming into a town & obeying the speed limit but took a corner a bit fast & an "officer of the law" put on his red lights & stopped them.....Scott did not want to stop but Grandpa insisted...he thought that the town had probably announced that the Race would be going thru.....The officer wanted to know where they were headed and were they on a Race? John replied "yes" we are on the Great Race -- have you heard of it? Just about that time another Great Race car came around the corner and passed them..... All the while Scott sat there he was counting on the clock the seconds for the delay....Another Great Race car passed them...and finally the officer told them to proceed and "have a good day"! When down the road Scott said "Boy! -- we WOULD have if you hadn't stopped us"!! But-- that day on that "leg" of the Race they had an ACE (a perfect score!!).....Goes to show you how important "numbers" can be!!

Mechanically -- John goes over his car with a "fine tooth comb" to see any wear and tear that might have occurred....any leaks, cracks, drips, wear on the tires-- will there be enough tread or does he need a new set -- by the way, he has run 6 sets of tires out on his Great Race experiences!!

By the way -- People often ask you, "You must have seen a lot of scenery going cross-country in the Great Races you have been in, right?" Well, to tell the truth, you really don't he will tell them....your eyes are always on the road, looking for landmarks, traffic, turns, listening to the nav. instructions, etc. -- so please don't think the Race is a sightseeing adventure, it really isn't......At the stops (lunch) you eat, do the necessary "rest stop" and back on the road....and when you stop for the overnight....you park your car along with the others in a designated area & you are required to stay with your car till about 7 p.m. visiting with the locals -- and then you eat, do any necessary repairs, shower & turn-in for the night.....and rise at 6 a.m. and do it all over again for 10 days....so as you can see....it is a grueling and demanding Race!!

Then, you say, is it worth it? The comment you hear most often is....
a resounding YES!! The friendships made and renewed each year,--and, in our case, the closeness of Grandpa & Grandson is priceless!! Talking cars, repairs and sharing experiences is a big part of the Great Race....

Are you considering -- yet? -- signing on to next year's Race?

Till next time.....

Conne Hudson
Posted By: brewster Re: The Great Race 2015 - 06/19/15 04:04 AM
Hi! Folks,

Tonight John called to say finally the rain had let up....!!!!!

They made tech inspection this morning, putting stickers on the car -- 2 CAUTION stickers went on the trunk -- appropriate they thought!!
Everything was in order.....

Today was the day to greet old friends and welcoming new participants!
How was your trip getting here? Glad to see you made it this year.....etc. And, of course, navigators were comparing notes and any new ideas too.....

This evening they attended a dinner held at the Grant home, where Budweiser started and some Clydesdale horses were stabled.....

They were turning in early tonight as tomorrow is an early rise as
seminars and meetings were to be held at 7:30 a.m. after breakfast....
Then on to a short run for the "tie-breaker" of the Race -- John didn't think that was ever necessary or used! -- but just in case.....

Anticipation is building -- you can hear it in their voices -- for the start of the Race on Saturday!!

Rest easy tonight & may good luck be with you tomorrow!!

Conne Hudson
Posted By: brewster Re: The Great Race 2015 - 06/20/15 11:13 AM
Hi! Folks,

I guess, after reviewing yesterday's events.......I should clarify that the Grant "Home" was a Farm, the 281 acre ancestral home of the Busch family of Budweiser beer with the Clydesdale horses stabled on the premises....."my ears were ringing on that one!!"........

It has been an eventful morning....here on the homefront......got a call on our credit card that a fraudulent charge had been made and had to cancel our credit card......so that means until I get a new card (overnight) from our credit card company -- John will have to pay CASH!! -- Just maybe Scott can help him out??!! And, changed our User ID, Password & Security Question also!!

And, the rain continues for the "Tie-Breaker Race" today!! Heard from John & Scott this evening & they had GREAT news.....took 4th place OVERALL....out of 130 participants!!!!!.....3.4 seconds and 2 ACES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!!!!! Keep it up fella's....!! Big celebration -- Theme Night -- 60's --tonight with ceremonies and buffet provided by the Great Race.....

Tomorrow's start of the Race will be in Kirkwood, MO. with lunch stop at Rolla, MO. and overnight in Springfield, MO.

With 130 cars registered it will take 2 hrs. 10 min. to get all cars out the gate on their way.......starting each car at one minute apart....and the same applies when they come in for the lunch stop and coming in to the overnight....Takes a LOT of planning to put this event on but usually runs like clockwork....!!

A little bit about what is known as "Factor" in the scoring of the Race --
The older the vehicle the more advantage you would have....so John drives a 1940 and his friend drives a 1916 and John could have the same score as his friend but his friend would take the prize because of the "factor"......

There are what is known as "legs" on the Race -- usually on a full day's rallying would be 7-8 legs -- each leg is scored separately with a "checkpoint" whereby a couple of people sit by the roadside at a predetermined spot and score each car as it passes by -- all the "legs" are totaled and the "factor" enters into final score......

Each Division (Grand Champion, Expert, Sportsmen & X-cup) have their Division class awards at the end of the Race as well as Overall Grand Champion award.....The winner of each class has a trophy plus cash award but the Overall Grand Champion has both his Division award and the "Big Bird" Award (so lovingly called by the participants) -- meaning the treasured Eagle Award and the top cash prize!!!!

Again, -- in layman's terms, the above has been handed down from hubby and rubbed off on wife.....so if not quite technical enough....so be it..... wink wink

"Rain begone tomorrow -- Sun please come out -- Start the RACE!!"

All involved BEST OF LUCK and SAFE TRAVELS......!!

Conne Hudson
Posted By: brewster Re: The Great Race 2015 - 06/21/15 03:02 AM
Hi! Folks,

Do I see SUNSHINE & BLUE SKY??!! That's right!! All of our prayers must have worked!!
Below is the Starting gate for the Race ---

Very large crowd attending......
Our Scott (with glasses & navy shirt) in pic below talking to another navigator, Doug Sharp, from Rochester, N.Y. (in black shirt) -- his mentor when first starting to do the Great Races with Grandpa.....

And, -- we're OFF ...

'55 Chevrolet Bel Air 2

Look at that BLUE SKY!!!!!
Until John calls with today's score....
Always a little late before I hear.....

Conne Hudson
Posted By: brewster Re: The Great Race 2015 - 06/21/15 03:06 AM
Hi! Folks,

The news from late this afternoon...
Great lunch provided by Alex's Pizza Palace!

Seen along the way...World's Largest Route 66 Rocking Chair -- still blue skies!!
Another Route 66 landmark -- The Wagon Wheel Motel
I got a text message to report John & Scott's scores: (from Greg, our son)........
They placed (11) today overall.....
5 Legs -- Ace/5/6/1/2 -- Best score for the day probably was 6.....
Must have been a very difficult first day for all!!
30 -- 35% Did Not Finish (DNF)!! This is a high percentage!!
"Get in the Groove" -- fella's.......
Anxious to hear details from the "source"......

As we get into the Race -- you can "throw out" one day's Race scores on the Route for the Final Score which helps and, therefore no one knows till the very last day of the Race -- The Winner!!
Do any repairs that need to be done, rest up and be ready for TOMORROW....another day for another score!!

Bless all on their way.......

Conne Hudson
Posted By: brewster Re: The Great Race 2015 - 06/21/15 03:08 AM
Best of luck, John & Scott!! We hope you have a bunch of new stories to tell us on this year's Six Cylinder Tour!

Bruce
Posted By: 37Blue Re: The Great Race 2015 - 06/22/15 04:18 AM
Here are some photos of John and Scott at the OKC Bricktown overnight stop on Micky Mantle Drive. They are doing great! The Heart of Route 66 Region had two membership groups meet them today. At the lunch stop in Claremore, OK several got to meet them and then a few hours later another group met them in downtown Oklahoma City. John even helped recruit a potential new member!

I sent a message on to the Rio Grande Region guys to encourage them to greet the racers when they stop for lunch on Tuesday at the Unser Racing Museum.

Good Luck guys!

[Linked Image from pic100.picturetrail.com]

Posted By: ken48 Re: The Great Race 2015 - 06/22/15 02:49 PM
Good pictures Lee. Thanks.

Continued good luck John and Scott!!
Posted By: Bill Barker Re: The Great Race 2015 - 06/22/15 09:53 PM
Please note the new header for Chat for the next couple weeks.
AND, if you click on it, it will take you directly to the first posting in the GREAT RACE 2015 thread.

Enjoy riding along!
wave carbana
Posted By: brewster Re: The Great Race 2015 - 06/23/15 02:58 AM
Hi! Folks,

Sorry, again, -- misinformation -- They placed #13 overall yesterday.....(when all the information was accumulated)......

Sharing some of the pic's at the lunch stop today---beautiful, sunny but hot day......Thanks for the pictures -- courtesy of Bob Strattan......

Upclose and personal the trunk lid damage from the 1st day's incident-
do you think if he had those stickers on his trunk to begin with the incident could have been avoided?

Inside of vehicle showing dashboard and Scott's clock & paperwork & Timewise speedometer and, if you notice the blue cover where you normally read the car speedometer, this is because it is not used during the Race -- just the Timewise as it is much more accurate and the placement, where it is mounted, is just to the right of the steering wheel so there is no obstruction for the driver's view.....

John's and Scott's faces tell it all.......pure enjoyment!! And, John LOVES his overalls as they are "airy" on the trip and handy for his utensils in the bib for quick access to the FOOD!!!!! ;))

This just in.......
Their score today is # 5 overall !!!!!! 5 Legs: Ace/2/1/2/2
Go get 'em "boys"!!!

Tomorrow Lunch stop in Elk City, OK. --- Overnight in Amarillo, TX.

"Happy Father's Day to hubby!" ---OXOX

Conne Hudson
Posted By: brewster Re: The Great Race 2015 - 06/23/15 02:55 PM
Hi! Folks --

The first pic today -- is the "Phillips" pumps & station where John was clowning around for the camera....!!

Here is the "Conoco Tower" with the Great Racers in procession....
Doesn't the Tower look like white ivory?

I think we should all visit Shamrock for St. Patrick's Day!! Fun town with lots of activities.....
And, pulling into Amarillo, TX. for the overnight! 3 days under their belt and 6 days to go till Santa Monica......Keep your wheels turnin'......!!

Today's score: #6 Cumulative -- Keep those good numbers comin' !!
Tough competitors -- If you notice many in the "Expert" Division at the top....Knowles/Gentry....."top dogs".....are 2 WOMEN!!!!!!

Just thought I'd mention that -- but I am still "rootin'" for the "boys"!!!!!

Good luck to all......God Bless......Safe travels!!

Conne Hudson
Posted By: brewster Re: The Great Race 2015 - 06/24/15 03:52 PM
Hi! Folks,

Wonderful old cars rollin' down the road in the Great Race 2015!
Undercarriage wash!! I believe this one got more than an undercarriage wash.....

Look at that road and nice '54 Chevy just cruisin' along....

Love the color on this one.....giving us the "thumb's up!"
Hope you enjoyed the many different vehicles entered in this Great Race experience.....

We are into another STATE today.....New Mexico.....still nice weather....!!

Midpoint on Route 66 ......
Stop for lunch -- Tucumcari -- coupe takin' a breather -- probably pretty darn HOT.....!!!!
Sent from my iPad

Conne Hudson
Posted By: brewster Re: The Great Race 2015 - 06/24/15 03:56 PM
Hi! Folks,

Here is a monument to Route 66 along the route today......
Looks like to me --- a back fender w/ red taillights!! And, the
bottom wavy line resembles the curvy route you take driving
Route 66!! Am I right?

They arrived in Santa Fe, NM tonight but scores are late on the site so will have to report them tomorrow.....sorry!

Five more days to go......HOT -- HOT -- HOT (probably would be a
good description of the next few days.......!!!!!!

Hope the competitors can withstand the heat, their car's radiators also,
and don't you dare have a flat in the desert!!!!!!!!

Good Luck to all!!
Conne Hudson
Posted By: brewster Re: The Great Race 2015 - 06/24/15 04:07 PM
Good Morning Folks! ---

First -- an "oops moment" to apologize for! -- I have been informed that when I reported that two women were in #1 spot -- this was incorrect!!
Sorry...... "Jody" Knowles is Beth Gentry's brother and they are racing in memory of their father......And, I'm sure he is watching with great pride at their accomplishment!!

Below: higher elevation on their route, along with a "timed delay"??

And, straight and barren terrain...

Along with winding highway...

And, Oh dear! -- DNF? -- on trailer...

Score for the day (23rd) is: #6 Cumulative!! Good Day!!

Their lunch stop today (24th) is Albuquerque, NM and overnight is
Gallup, NM.

Keep ontrack & keep those good numbers comin'........

GO -- CAR #60 -- GO!!!!!!

Conne Hudson
Posted By: 32confederate Re: The Great Race 2015 - 06/24/15 07:07 PM
Thanks Bruce for the updates!
Posted By: brewster Re: The Great Race 2015 - 06/25/15 04:08 AM
Thank Conne... I'm just cutting and pasting! bigl
Posted By: brewster Re: The Great Race 2015 - 06/25/15 04:19 AM
Hi Folks,

Here are John & Scott pulling into the finish line at Santa Fe, NM...
Always seem to get the trunk lid damage on the pic's...!!

The car in the distance is the coupe... Look at that scenery!

Overnight tonight at Gallup, NM -- finish line arch...

What a crowd there....

If any of you do Facebook -- John & Scott on their way today were on two video TV newscasts! Maybe you can catch these.....enjoy!

Also, Hagerty will be doing an article on Grandpa & Grandson/Great Race on tomorrow's Facebook.....

That being said -- Score: #7 Cumulative -- #4 in their Expert Division....

4 more days to go -- halfway through the Race -- lunch stop in Winslow, Ariz. and overnight Flagstaff, Ariz.

GO -- Car #60 -- GO!!!!! We're rootin' for 'ya!

Conne Hudson
Posted By: brewster Re: The Great Race 2015 - 06/25/15 04:37 PM
Check out the info from Hagerty Classic Cars page...

https://www.hagerty.com/Articles-videos/Articles/2015/06/17/Hudson-Family
Posted By: brewster Re: The Great Race 2015 - 06/26/15 04:11 AM
Hi! Folks,

Well it is another day on the road with beautiful sights and adventures!
Here is the famous Wigwam Motel that many of you have seen pictures of thru the years...

Here's one for 'ya......Itching to be restored.....Have to buy some tires by the looks of it though and a few other parts...

Nice '58 Chevrolet competing in the Race pulling out from the hotel to start the day on the road!!

They drove past the sign that reads, "Continental Divide -- N. Mexico" -- 7275 FT.
Early indications the "boys" did GOOD today! Had an ACE and several ones and two's in their scores......

Will have to wait for the Great Race scores for Cumulative and Expert Division to come in.....

I will be sending out another e-mail with a hyperlink to click on for the Hagerty article done on Grandpa & Grandson....this was by e-mail and phone before the Race....but appeared yesterday on Facebook!

2 1/2 days to go -- Fri., Sat., & half-day Sunday!!!! Time does FLY!!

Good Luck -- Safe Travels -- God Bless.....!!!!!

Conne Hudson
Posted By: brewster Re: The Great Race 2015 - 06/27/15 12:52 AM
Hi! Folks,

The time difference makes a BIG difference in reporting the scores!!
Don't know exactly what time they came in but I waited till just after midnight (our time) and they still had not come in......

25th -- Thurs. -- Cumulative: #7 (held their position!) and believe they moved up in their Expert Division!!!!

Below is a race car viewed on the route ...... Many, I'm sure, did a "double take" on this one!!!! Notice the umbrella -- commonly known in these parts -- as the sunshade!! :)))

Good luck to all today and probably will need that "sunshade" today on the open cars for sure.....!!!!!

Conne Hudson
Posted By: 30ChevyOkla Re: The Great Race 2015 - 06/27/15 05:10 PM
Congratulations to the Bowtie Boys #60 1940 Chevy Coupe for the best score on Stage 7 from Flagstaff to Lake Havasu City in triple digit heat, moving them into 1st in class G and 3rd overall.
Posted By: 30ChevyOkla Re: The Great Race 2015 - 06/27/15 05:40 PM
OOOPS, I meant to say 1st in class E in the previous post. They are 3rd overall behind 2 class G cars.
Posted By: brewster Re: The Great Race 2015 - 06/27/15 09:41 PM
Hi! Folks,

This is the starting point this morning at the hotel in Flagstaff, AZ. -- hubby said it was a beautiful spot! The prediction for the temp. today on the route will be over 100 degrees!!!! Black car and no air conditioning....HOT, HOT, HOT.....is all I can say!!!!!

An interesting fact: this year the photography crew on the Great Race
is using a drone to capture pictures enroute.....a 1st for the Race!!

Here they are pulling in to Kingman, AZ. for the lunch stop....notice the people under the shade of the trees....it was around 111 degrees at that hour!!!

Pulling into Lake Havasu City, AZ. for their overnight with crowds of people -- I guess they are used to the heat, right?!!
As usual -- scores are not officially in yet tonight -- but Scott & hubby called us to indicate they had their "best day yet" and related that one or more cars had to be towed and perhaps out of the Race??!!!!

Their 7 legs were: 1/1/2/3/ACE/1/1

They were drenched coming off the Race today and everything in the car was damp.....and tomorrow it starts all over again!!!!

Sat.'s lunch stop is Twentynine Palms, CA. and overnight stop is San Bernardino, CA.---last full day of racing!!!!!

Rest your weary bodies tonight and hydrate well tomorrow for the heat is not over yet till you go over the mountains into California......

Sleep well.....God Bless.....

Conne Hudson
Posted By: brewster Re: The Great Race 2015 - 06/27/15 09:42 PM
Hi! Folks,

Well, -- the scores for Friday, 27th, are in and Guess What!! ---

CUMULATIVE ---- # 1

What an accomplishment!!!! Tears of JOY are running down my cheeks!!!!!!!!

Now if they can remain there today.......We'll see.....

GOOD LUCK!!

Conne Hudson
Posted By: brewster Re: The Great Race 2015 - 06/28/15 03:22 AM
Hi! Folks,

Heard from the "boys" tonight and disappointing score today......
It was 120 degrees recorded and was a very long road into San Bernardino.....Even so, the crowds were large.....
As usual actual score and ranking will not be in till early tomorrow morning.....

John got to see an old high school buddy that lives near the finish line and reminisced and caught up on each other's lives-- meeting grandson, Scott, for the first time! Nice to see a familiar face in the crowd!! And, Cathy & Sarah were there to greet and cheer them in too!

Tomorrow they will race for about 2 hrs. and reach Santa Monica, CA.--
(on the Pier) for the finish......no one will know their "last day score" until they announce the awards at the Banquet! The only one that WILL know is the "Grand Championship" award and "Eagle" trophy which they give out when this car comes over the finish line.....!!

The "boys" were retiring early tonight as tomorrow is another day and,
as any one of the competitor's will tell you, "It's not over till the last day and the last score!"

God Bless, Good Luck & Sweet Dreams......loved ones.....

Conne Hudson
Posted By: brewster Re: The Great Race 2015 - 06/29/15 02:57 AM
Hi! Folks,

Well it has been an exciting week! -- it has had its up's and down's --
tears of joy and otherwise -- but when it comes to the finish --
the "boys" came in 4th OVERALL and 2nd in the EXPERT Division!!!!!
Scott's Mom was there with his fiancee and Mom said "it was the best Birthday present EVER" -- (Cathy's birthday was today!)......

Here is the finish arch at Santa Monica, CA. pier....

Beautiful day with temperature in the 70's and a huge turnout for the finish!!

Scott & John looking relaxed taking in the awesome finish scenery!! --- and again, a rearview pic of Car# 60.... wink

Tonight the Awards Banquet where their hard work and endurance will be rewarded ....... hope to send along some pic's ..... For now, take a deep breath......as I am sure they are!!
Hope you have enjoyed the journal and personal experience of John & Scott....
It has been an honor to do this blog for the Vintage Chevrolet Club of America -- Chat Room......

John & I have toured with the VCCA Early Six-Cylinder Tour for many years and made many friends along the way.....it is a wonderful hobby and enjoy our old "Chev's"......one of which has been in our family almost 50 years -- a '37 Chevy pick-up truck, which has been restored twice now and still is driven almost every day.....
Our son, Greg, has been "bitten" by the bug now and is starting his collection as well....so pass along those tips and good times to sons and daughters and grandchildren to "keep the Chev's rollin'".....

See you down the road.....

Sincerely,
Conne Hudson

P.S. -- John & Scott will leave Santa Monica, CA. on Tues. (30th) and plan on driving back cross country home in the '40 coupe by way of Denver, CO. to visit Scott's uncle and other sights along the way and should arrive home about July 10th...
Posted By: brewster Re: The Great Race 2015 - 06/29/15 03:17 AM
Way to go, John and Scott!!!! wave

A great big huge THANK YOU!! to Conne Hudson for writing the journal for all of us follow along!

Here's a couple extra pictures of Chevy related cars that I found on-line...

Posted By: 30ChevyOkla Re: The Great Race 2015 - 06/29/15 01:08 PM
Congratulations to the Bowtie Boys in #60 for an awesome and consistent run. Best score on 2 Stages, one of them the final Stage! 2nd place in E and 4th overall! :carbana:
Posted By: brewster Re: The Great Race 2015 - 06/29/15 03:05 PM
Hi! Folks,

This is the final pic from the Great Race 2015!!

Proud, Happy & Excited and Thankful ----- all of these emotions!!
CONGRATULATIONS to hubby & grandson!!!!!!!

4th Overall --- 2nd Expert Division -- 2 days (1st overall on the route)

Beautiful day and finish line.....on the Santa Monica Pier!
Area very scenic!

Keep those Chevrolets Rollin' !!!!

Final Journal Entry! -- till the Next Great Race -- !!

Sincerely,

Conne Hudson
Posted By: Mike McCagh Re: The Great Race 2015 - 07/01/15 07:09 PM
is there a site where i can see what happened to car # 40, a 50 chevy from bedford, pa? thanks ,mike
Posted By: brewster Re: The Great Race 2015 - 07/01/15 10:05 PM
http://www.greatrace.com
Posted By: Mike McCagh Re: The Great Race 2015 - 07/02/15 01:09 AM
been following the link u provided brewster but there is no mention of the # 40 car other than they registered but was DNF on day 1. thanks anyway. mike
Posted By: brewster Re: The Great Race 2015 - 07/02/15 01:55 AM
Was that the end of the race for them? Maybe the went home on the trailer...
Posted By: brewster Re: The Great Race 2015 - 07/10/15 09:33 PM
A nice Welcome Home!

© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum