VCCA Home
Posted By: CONWAYDE 1948 Fleetline - 08/04/15 05:07 PM
New member here and new owner of a 48 Fleetline Aerosedan. It's pretty much all original at 72K miles, with lots of options, and seems to be the product of an older restore. This is my first vintage car. I was told to use straight 30 weight oil. Should I also add some ZDD Plus or other additive to the oil and how often should it be changed? I was also told to use a lead additive in the gas, as the original bearings are still babbitt. I'm no mechanic but I'm learning as I go along. Any other useful tips for a new owner would be appreciated. I'll try to post a pic of the car as soon as I figure out how to do this...

Sorry if I'm asking questions that have been asked 100 times, but it seems I need to make several postings before I can use the search function.

Dave
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/04/15 06:47 PM
wel2
Congratulations on your purchase of a 1948 Aerosedan.
Best oil to use is 10W-30, detergent, and no additives are necessary. There was NO zinc in the oil in 1948 and very little in detergensts. There is enough zinc in todays 10W-30 for the low cam to lifter lobe pressure in a straight six Chevrolet engine (they almost never wore out cam lobes).
If the engine is sludged up it is advisable to drop the pan and clean the oil pump screen as the tended to get plugged-up with the old oils.
In a nut sheel todays oils are 100 times better than the oils in 1948. I would change oil once a year (in Fall) or evey 100-1500 miles.

As far as the gas is concerned lead additives (which really don;t contain lead) are completely unnecessary. Lead was added years ago to raise the octane as the refining process was not as good as it is today. Lead is actually harmful to exhaust system, spark plugs and engine bearings. 87 octane gas today is of a higher octane than premimum was in 1950.
As a note all bearings have a babbitt lining, even in todays cars.
Posted By: CONWAYDE Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/04/15 07:54 PM
Thanks Chevygene - useful information.
Posted By: chef-chevy Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/04/15 10:34 PM
Congrats and welcome aboard!!!There are no bad questions, bring them on...Try the 46-48 Forum in the future...We are here to help
Posted By: Junkyard Dog Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/04/15 10:47 PM
Welcome to Chevy Chatter!!

laugh wink beer2
Posted By: ruscar Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/05/15 12:16 AM
wave yipp Another '48'er!

Since you are new here, let me give you a heads-up. Anything answered by Chev Nut is usually 99.9% right on the money. Also, the Junkyard Dog will straighten him out if he should misspeak. Just look at the number of post those two have.

Oh, be prepared to be "ragged on" by a guy named Charlie.

The other head of the pack as far as '48 goes would be chef-chevy. He also has a well endowed Aero.
Posted By: ken48 Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/05/15 12:45 AM
Great to see the 46-48 gang is alive and well........and now maybe growing!!

Welcome aboard Conwayde. You found a good bunch here.
Posted By: brewster Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/05/15 02:51 AM
Welcome aboard... We also like to see pictures!! If you've got'em, post them up!
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/05/15 02:52 AM
Lets hope it has a Fulton visor haha
Posted By: n2chev Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/05/15 04:30 AM
Hey Gene, Ive got a real Fulton windshield screen on my 48 2 door Sport Coupe
also. Do you think we will stir Charlie up any???

hoppy
Posted By: CONWAYDE Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/05/15 01:27 PM
Oh, oh - yes, it's got a Fulton visor. Hope that doesn't get me in trouble here, because I love mine... I'd like to post a pic but I'm still baffled as just how to do that - I don't have a website to link the picture to it...
Posted By: chef-chevy Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/05/15 02:42 PM
I will get the pic posted just e-mail to

chef_fry@hotmail.com

We will be waiting impatiently

Posted By: Junkyard Dog Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/05/15 02:44 PM
Fulton visors are cool!!

laugh wink beer2
Posted By: chef-chevy Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/05/15 02:50 PM
WOW DOG...thanks for the support!!!
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/05/15 05:15 PM
hoppy, I have a picture of your '48 coupe and visor next to me.
Posted By: chef-chevy Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/05/15 06:03 PM
David you have one beautiful car??Lots of accessories???The trunk latch may bring up some interest

[Linked Image from i563.photobucket.com]

Posted By: CONWAYDE Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/05/15 06:33 PM
Thanks Chef-Chevy. Here's what I know I do have as far as accessories go - deluxe radio, bumper guards, trunk guard, rear wiper, dash "ash-receiver" (not ashtray), 30 hr clock, deluxe steering wheel, directional signals, heater and under seat, glove, luggage and hood lamps, fog lamps, tissue dispenser, hat holder, wheel covers and gravel guards, and probably some others I missed or don't even know about. As far as I can tell, everything seems to be original, except, of course, the paint. The original paint code was Dove Gray and Lake Como Blue - maybe someday I'll be able to afford to put it back to its original colors. Speedo says 72K+ miles on the original engine.

That's an original registration holder on the steering column, which I thought was pretty neat. The one thing I'm missing, though, is the original jack and tire iron. It came with some type of vintage hydraulic jack, which I've never seen before - the top unscrews and you pump it to raise the lifting arm. Seems a little unwieldy and actually dangerous to put into use. I'd like to find an original jack for it, so if someone has a correct year extra one he wants to get rid of, please let me know...
Posted By: ruscar Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/05/15 07:03 PM
It came with some type of vintage hydraulic jack
jack If it is one like this, it is worth big $$$$. The old Chef will do most anything to get it. dance
Did the car come from the "deep south" I mean, mud flaps. crazy

Yes, lots of goodies, nice!
Posted By: chef-chevy Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/05/15 07:09 PM

This is the factory jack you would be looking for...

Russell would you post your restored accessory ratchet jack. Mine is not done yet and I love your zinc plating

Here is the accessory hydraulic jack...Dought you will ever find this

David while your at it could I see a pic of your turn signal switch...Engine bay would be a treat as well
Posted By: ruscar Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/05/15 07:14 PM
I'd like to find an original jack for it, so if someone has a correct year extra one he wants to get rid of, please let me know...

When you have a little time, go on down to the '46-'48 and read the HUGE post about the hunt for a '48 original jack.
Posted By: Junkyard Dog Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/05/15 07:18 PM
CONWAYDE: To your accessories list above you can add fender skirts since you have those on your car as well.

laugh wink beer2
Posted By: ken48 Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/05/15 07:34 PM
CONWAYDE........That is one gorgeous Aerosedan!!!

Stay with us here on Chat and I'm sure you will get all the help you need with it!! ok

Happy to see the Fulton on there too. luv2 wink

Hey guys, I may have to try and figure out how to put a Fulton on my "new" Chevelle bigl
Posted By: CONWAYDE Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/05/15 07:58 PM
I saw that pic of the hydraulic jack on the 48Chevy website and it is very similar, but that's NOT it. Mine does not have the pump arm on the top - you just depress the top part to make it lift. An internet search for something similar came up with nothing. I'm not even sure it's a GM product, so I'll have to take another careful look at it, see if it has any markings and take a pic of it - maybe someone can identify it. I'll take some pics of the engine as well...

I'll take a look at the 48 original jack thread, which I guess means they're hard to come by...? Sigh...seems like the Chevy parts are as ellusive and as expensive to get as they are for my '38 Knucklehead....don't get me started on that...$2000+ for an toolbox...phooey!
Posted By: chef-chevy Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/05/15 08:04 PM
Don't forget the pic of the turn signal switch,thanks
Posted By: ruscar Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/05/15 09:05 PM
And grill guard and dual back-up lights drool
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/05/15 09:28 PM
Getting back to the technical.....make sure the transmission is full of gear oil, same for the steering gear.
Posted By: CONWAYDE Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/05/15 09:36 PM
I believe the car originally came from South Dakota, so it must have been constantly garaged, since there's not a trace of rust on it and no signs of any body work or damage. The mud flaps are also vintage, but I don't know the origin of them.
Posted By: ruscar Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/05/15 09:52 PM
I had planed to cut you a little slack since you are new here but, I see Bruce wants a pic of the turn signal so I will add my first want. While the driver side door is open to get that shot for Bruce, take a inside shot of the door panel for me. A nice full view of just the inside of the door. Just to be clear, the interior is all original as far as you know?

Well all get excited whenever anything original turns up as most want to learn what is right or wrong with the stuff we have.

Hey guys, lets take this to the '48 forum.
Posted By: chef-chevy Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/06/15 01:45 AM
Hey Dave,I am waiting for more pics???
Posted By: decarter Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/06/15 01:49 AM
Wonder where Charlie is? Probably hasn't seen this thread since it's not in the 46-48 Forum. Took me a while to find it. Great looking car!!
Posted By: Junkyard Dog Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/06/15 01:56 AM
Hey Billy Boy Barker! Ruscar has a great idea....this thread should be moved to the 1946-1948 forum.

laugh wink beer2
Posted By: CONWAYDE Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/06/15 05:22 PM
Ruscar - no, I doubt very highly the interior is all original. I believe it's an older restore from maybe 20 years ago or so. It shows wear and still is in nice shape, but highly doubtful it's original. I threw that "original" term here a little too prematurely. What I meant most by that, was that the engine and trans appears original and it has not been "hotrodded" up. I'm learning there's little things on it that may still be incorrect, year-wise. That's why I'm here to learn from the experts.
Posted By: chef-chevy Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/06/15 05:53 PM
A bunch of Pics from Dave our new 48 Fleetine owner

Posted By: CONWAYDE Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/06/15 06:10 PM
I have no idea what that jack goes to, but I'd be scared to use it - it swivels on the base. Referencing the door panel pic, I have been hunting for the little plastic trim piece that is above door handle. Both of mine are broken and I haven't been able to find replacements, original or repop. Any advice if these are still made or where to track them down? And thanks again to Bruce for posting the pics for me.
Posted By: chef-chevy Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/06/15 08:27 PM
David, The ivory piece is available @ chevs of the 40's and it is glued on...Your interior is defiantly Hampton coach
Posted By: CONWAYDE Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/06/15 09:50 PM
I found them Bruce! Thanks. Apparently, they must be made out of gold at $14 a piece for two pieces of plastic! Wow!
Posted By: chef-chevy Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/06/15 10:08 PM
Pick up some blue-gray engine paint while your at it...COT40s or the filling station...A few different brushes and give your motor a face lift...The PO was really off on his engine color...
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/07/15 01:25 AM
Yes, the einterior color would be correct for a 1947...the 1948 goes into a more tan/gray color. But it looks good and don't worry about it.
The signal switch is from a 1950-1952.
The wings on the side of the trunk handle are from a 1942 or 1946.
Posted By: Junkyard Dog Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/07/15 02:00 AM
I heard that Chev's of The 40's no longer sells the correct dark blue-gray engine paint.

laugh wink beer2
Posted By: chef-chevy Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/07/15 02:27 AM
Thanks for bringing that up JYD.If you remember many years back I did a test and COT40s and filling station looked the same...Not the same now?
Posted By: Junkyard Dog Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/07/15 03:48 AM
Yes, years ago Chev's of The 40's had the correct paint, but I heard lately that COT40's is now back to selling the Bill Hirsch paint which is incorrect. Maybe someone can verify if it is true.

laugh wink beer2
Posted By: 47Aero Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/07/15 11:07 AM
I replaced those little bits with a short length of pencil, cut lengthways , sanded and varnished, then epoxied in place.
Posted By: chef-chevy Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/07/15 10:02 PM
David I hope this is of some help....

Directional swiches....This 1st one is a 6002 but not for a 48,I think it is for 49

These are correct for the 48...I have one I have not installed yet...Note there is no L&R embossing

Correct Engine color...
please note I have now removed all zip ties, installed the correct fuel filter,correct hose clamps
and radiator bracket end caps

Hampton Coach interior 2012

Correct 48 trunk latch

Posted By: CONWAYDE Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/07/15 11:07 PM
Thanks Chef-Chevy - looks like I've got some work to do to get mine back into proper order, but that's kind of the fun part. If only I had deeper pockets! I really need to get that engine painted correctly too. Funny how I missed the wings on the trunk latch, but it's kind of hard to part with extra chrome.
Posted By: chef-chevy Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/07/15 11:50 PM
It took me 20 year to complete my restoration but mine was 20 times worse then what your starting with.With the work your doing on the engine it might be a good time to pull it and re-paint. Get the paint from the filling station!!
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/08/15 12:52 AM
Other than painting the engine, if that were my car I think I would leave it just as it is. The great looks makes up for a few errors.
Posted By: XLVIIdriver Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/08/15 01:21 AM
Color may not be the orig color of the car but the current scheme looks great. Looks like you have two backup lights ? Are they mounted on the gravel pan or the body. I have never seen a right handed mount for this year car.
You also have an oil bath air cleaner which certainly does a better job of keeping all those S. Dakota bugs out

Paint the engine and leave the rest alone
Posted By: chef-chevy Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/08/15 01:26 AM
iagree but maybe add the trunk latch to the bucket list
Posted By: ruscar Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/08/15 01:34 AM
Funny how I missed the wings on the trunk latch, but it's kind of hard to part with extra chrome
I doubt you will be able to remove the "wings", suspect their will be holes. Besides, looks good as is.

I have to agree with Gene and Dick, paint the motor, drive, and enjoy. Chevrolet dropped the ball when they missed that paint scheme in '48. This Winter is soon enough to start tinkering.

Not that you ask, but, I would get the correct finder skirt trim. Looks odd to me but easy fix. blush

I saw when you made the post with your Flicker account. If you haven't figured out what went wrong, ask on here. Somebody should be able to help.
Posted By: CONWAYDE Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/08/15 05:11 PM
You know, I really like the color scheme too, even though it's not correct. I'll fix some of the minor things that I can, definitely paint the engine, and replace correct pieces when I can afford to. But I basically got this car to ride, not show, and I'm having fun with it as is for the time being.

I don't know if you guys saw that 48 Fleetline for sale on Hemmings and eBay a week ago or so back, that had only 18K original miles on it (it had a woody install and was Dove Gray and Lake Como Blue), but I kept the pictures so I could refer to it now and then, if it was TRULY all original. It was a nice looking car, but personally, I don't like the Woody trim on the Fleetline.
Posted By: chef-chevy Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/08/15 09:55 PM
You don't orangeupset
Posted By: ken48 Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/08/15 10:03 PM
Easy now chef.........to each his own. Agrin
Posted By: chef-chevy Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/08/15 11:18 PM
Ken not a problem...CONWAYDE,is now a new member of the 46-48 club...
Posted By: ruscar Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/09/15 12:25 AM
At least their is a 2000+ miles buffer. ref
Posted By: ken48 Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/09/15 01:59 AM
ok
Posted By: CONWAYDE Re: 1948 Fleetline - 08/09/15 12:32 PM
Oh,oh...Sorry Chef-Chevy...what I meant is that I'm not a big fan of the Woody, except on YOUR car!
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum