VCCA Home
Posted By: Hawkeye Accessory Tool Kit Bags - 04/21/18 12:20 AM
Can someone tell me the name of the club member who was making the reproduction tool kit bags? Thanks
Posted By: Jonjet Re: Accessory Tool Kit Bags - 04/21/18 01:03 AM
Contact Dave Miner.
Posted By: Hawkeye Re: Accessory Tool Kit Bags - 04/21/18 09:22 PM
Still need the name of the member making the reproduction tool kit bags.
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: Accessory Tool Kit Bags - 04/21/18 09:31 PM
The accessory tool kit bags came in a varity of material after the were offered in 1949. I have an oilve drab cloth bag from a broken up tool kit. Some were made out of woven accessory seat cover materials, etc.
Posted By: Dave39MD Re: Accessory Tool Kit Bags - 04/21/18 10:38 PM
To Gene's point I wonder if they were made by Fisher Body since the material, at least on the early ones, was upholstery or top material? Here is a original 31 Buick bag.

Dave

Attached picture 31 buick tool roll 1.jpg
Posted By: Jonjet Re: Accessory Tool Kit Bags - 04/21/18 11:27 PM
Did you contact Dave Miner?
Posted By: Hawkeye Re: Accessory Tool Kit Bags - 04/22/18 02:38 AM
Yes, I did contact Dave Miner. I also sent a PM on 2/28/18 to someone names Phil who asked the same question last year. Because of the problems with this site, the PM was never sent. To add to the problem, the posting of this topic from last year is no longer available thru the search mode. So I am asking one more time, all I need is the name of the club member who makes the reproduction tool kit bags so I might contact him.
Posted By: Junkyard Dog Re: Accessory Tool Kit Bags - 04/22/18 02:47 AM
Because of the problems with this site, the PM was never sent.

There are many problems with this site since the new upgrade, including the PM fiasco, and probably none of these issues will get corrected since it doesn't appear that there is anyone maintaining this site as in the past when BBB was webmaster.

I am surprised that David Miner didn't know the person that was reproducing the tool bag.

laugh wink beer2
Posted By: m006840 Re: Accessory Tool Kit Bags - 04/22/18 12:38 PM
Chevs of the 40's list a tool bag.
Posted By: Jonjet Re: Accessory Tool Kit Bags - 04/22/18 01:06 PM
Ray Lemasters had the bags, I don't know if he still does.
Posted By: Hawkeye Re: Accessory Tool Kit Bags - 04/23/18 08:18 PM
Thanks for the information.
Posted By: Dave39MD Re: Accessory Tool Kit Bags - 04/25/18 11:52 AM
Hawkeye,

Who did you find that reproduces the tool bags? Contact info would be good I need a couple.

Thanks

Dave
Posted By: Chipper Re: Accessory Tool Kit Bags - 04/25/18 12:04 PM
Try Model A parts retailer of your choice. They are the same type. Not 100% sure the size is the same but suspect they are.
Posted By: Dave39MD Re: Accessory Tool Kit Bags - 04/25/18 12:32 PM
Thanks Chipper, I always forget about those guys
Posted By: Dave39MD Re: Accessory Tool Kit Bags - 04/25/18 11:49 PM
Strange coincidence I received a Snyder's (888-262-5712) catalog today. They have the tool bags in the A section, page 179, for 8.95. The one they offer is made from top material and is 12 x 6.25.

Dave
Posted By: Hawkeye Re: Accessory Tool Kit Bags - 04/26/18 02:25 AM
Dave39MD, if you read this topic, you will know all that I know. Have not tried to contact anyone.
Posted By: bobg1951chevy Re: Accessory Tool Kit Bags - 04/26/18 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by Junkyard Dog
Because of the problems with this site, the PM was never sent.

There are many problems with this site since the new upgrade, including the PM fiasco, and probably none of these issues will get corrected since it doesn't appear that there is anyone maintaining this site as in the past when BBB was webmaster.

laugh wink beer2

Comparable to a run away train which has been uncoupled from its locomotive.
Posted By: junkyardjeff Re: Accessory Tool Kit Bags - 02/07/19 10:49 PM
Someone had given me the dimensions and I sewn up one for my 37,I used cloth convertible top material.
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: Accessory Tool Kit Bags - 02/07/19 11:38 PM
I believe the 1937 tools came in a cardboard box.....First to come in bag was the tool kit in 1949 which was an acessory. and the jack came with the car.

Posted By: 41specialdeluxe Re: Accessory Tool Kit Bags - 02/08/19 06:26 PM
Yeah, and the jack came with a 41 as well. Agrin

Best,

Charlie computer
Posted By: 41specialdeluxe Re: Accessory Tool Kit Bags - 03/04/19 04:06 PM
If the tools first came with the 1949 then having either the tools, box or bag would be incorrect for any car prior to 1949. Accordingly , one could expect points off if judged in a VCCA sponsored event. Is this correct?

Just want to know.

Charlie computer
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: Accessory Tool Kit Bags - 03/04/19 06:54 PM
A 1949 Chevrolet came with a jack and lug wrench. The hand tools were an accessory and came in a bag made of various materials.
A 1948 Chevrolet came with the jack and hand tools and they were packed insiide of a card board box....no bag involved.
if I were showing a 1941 or 1948 I would lay out the tools idividually.
If I were judging I would deduct if a bag was involved.
1966 was the last year accessroy tools were offered

Will see what others have to say
Posted By: 41specialdeluxe Re: Accessory Tool Kit Bags - 03/14/19 11:45 PM
Gene,

Quoting you, "Will see what others have to say."

Well, apparently not much. hood

I think your above clarification pretty much poured cold water on some enthusiasm for tool bags,

I think I'll just get an ammo can and put the tools in it, then if the critter is ever shone I'll dump the tools out on the upper space and cause all the confusion I can. Of course I'll have your above explanation printed off and available to back me up. No one could expect the tools to be in any particular order. They would just roll around and make noise. No problem, a 41 is so noisy one can't hear themselves think, most less a loose spark-plug wrench. Agrin

Best,

Charlie computer
Posted By: jschildberg Re: Accessory Tool Kit Bags - 05/11/19 04:34 PM
Gene, I want to know if I get this right. In 1938 there was a tool kit right? Did that include the lug wrench and jack? I bought a tool kit that was supposed be original. It had a bag and I think you said that 49 was the first tool bag. Is that right?
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: Accessory Tool Kit Bags - 05/11/19 06:26 PM
In 1938 the car came from the factory with bumper jack that attached to the bumper brackets,screw driver, adjustable wrench, pliers, hammer, open end wrench, spark plug socket, wheel wrench and hand crank. They were in a box.
The 1948 was the last year to have hand tools. Just came with jack and lug wrench - iall loose but the was a hold down in the trunk to keep from rattling around.
The accessory tool kit came in a pouch type bag mde from various materials. The kit in my 1950 has a cloth bag made from oilive drab cloth (I have an extra one).
I sent you a picture of the jack.
Posted By: wirewheels Re: Accessory Tool Kit Bags - 03/07/21 02:55 AM
A few years ago Debbie Brewitt, the early tool Tech Advisor, obtained my supply of tool bags, patterns and materials. She should be able to supply you with a tool bag.
Ray Lemasters
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum