VCCA Home
I have arranged to have the bushing/seals replaced in my roadster. I have all of the parts except for the dowel for the rearmost bushing of the two that go on the front of the shaft. I imagined that it would be in the box, but it isn't. They are listed by Filling Station, part no AF-367. Chevs of the 40's lists something completely different, part no 347813. The vendor said just to chop off a bolt. I would happily send away for the part but the workshop wouldn't want my car lying around for a couple of weeks. I imagine that it is about 5/16 in diameter chamfered on the end to 3/16 to slip into the groove. Question time. Does anyone know how long it should be? I imagine that it is not tapered. Does it need to be peened or punched once inserted. Thank you.
All the parts book says is that it is 5/16" in diameter.
It should be just long enough to be flush with the opening....which you probably know.
Thanks for that. I just wondered why the part from FS was about 1/8" and the one from Chevs 40's about 2". I do see that many of the commercials from Canada did not have one and some people say you don't need it.
The dowels are requried for up through 1950. After that the bushings were pressed in and dowels not required.
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum