VCCA Home
Posted By: Bill Barker SCAM ALERT - 03/26/16 02:42 AM
Please be aware our Forums have been infiltrated by a scammer who is responding to your Parts Wanted postings. This creep, who uses the name Graham Vermillion, allegedly from Mendota, VA and email address grahamspares@gmail.com

He responds directly to email addresses ... he does not reply on forum posts or via PM's. He even emails pictures of the desired part(s) ... then says he needs to be paid by Moneygram or bank wire transfer (no PayPal), which is of course a RED FLAG.

To suck folks in even further, he provides "free shipping and insurance" and below market prices.

One of our Chat members recently lost $100 this way. The lady who lives at the Mendota, VA address is a victim herself. She has no involvement in this scan and she has personally lost money herself.

If you get any correspondence from grahamspares@gmail.com, don't respond to him. If you know how to capture the underlying "routing information", then do that. Lots of people would like to hunt him down.
Posted By: joeyk3950 Re: SCAM ALERT- newer member - 03/02/17 09:15 PM
Bill, 5 years ago a newer member who had advertized regularly on EBAY, skinned me for over $400.00 for 4 window frames for a 1957 Sports Sedan,complete with broken glass in all 4 windows, he said he had a buyer in NJ who wanted them...I emailed individual, who said he'd be up in 2 weeks to pickup up frames that were beyond pitted....never showed or called, phone number he gave me was disconnected....This guy is out of Chico,Ca....He's a business, selling parts and cars in our G&D, Classic Cars and Hemmings.....He skinned this disabled veteran,said he couldn't give me a refund.....At least have him pay advertising rates, he should be black-balled....Any fellow VCCA members been skinned by this guy joeyk3950
Posted By: Bill Barker Re: SCAM ALERT- newer member - 03/03/17 01:20 AM
Look at page 40 in this month's G&D. March 2017 issue.

There is an address for Classified Ads, and just below it, an address for Commercial Classified Ads.

You should document your issue and send it to either of these two addresses depending upon whether it was a "member" ad, or a "commercial" ad that your were responding to.

This should then get routed to the G&D Committee. Let them know if you have had a bad experience with an advertiser.
Posted By: Qman Re: SCAM ALERT- newer member - 03/20/17 09:47 PM
I had someone send me an email about the 2 doors that I am looking for. They sent the email directly to my email and did not reply via chat.

I tried googling his name and the name of his shop and could not find anything... so seeing that my telephone number was on my original posting and that i can not find anything about him or his shop on line I will take it that this is a scam. Below is a copy of his email

--
Hello buddy,

I am emailing with respect to your advert. Please let me know if you are still in need of the above and I'll get back to you. What's your phone # ?

Kind regards,

Brian E Lawrence
Brian E Auto Shop
Newport News, VA 23606
USA.
Posted By: henney Re: SCAM ALERT - 05/05/17 01:45 AM
RICO R BUNTON says hes from 6602 north 1st street alviso califorina 95002 phone number 510-859-6887 (phone is shut off after monies were transfered via western union) he must go thru the wanted adds here at VCCA Research what your looking for then talk you out of your money.He also has a buddy AMAHD who aranges the shipping.AMAHD actually calls you to tell you its out to bid bids are at say 1,200 but he will get lower bids within the hour.keep in mind he calls you from a phone you cant see his number.you do get a call saying you got lucky your bid came in at $775.00 great.Shipping will go on ricos credit card you pay shipper when item arrives. yes i should have gotten shippers name ,number which i tried but never called back.Hope he does'nt get anyone else THANK YOU RICCO I WILL CONTINUE TO SEARCH YOU OUT
Posted By: brewster Re: SCAM ALERT - 05/05/17 01:53 PM
Never, ever, ever use Western Union to send money to someone you don't know!!!

That's Internet rule #1...
Posted By: 63novaandy Re: SCAM ALERT - 06/23/17 09:30 PM
I agree with Bruce 100 percent I sell parts over the internet and always prefer pay pal even though they charge me a fee when I get money sent to me it is worth it knowing I am not getting scammed
Posted By: radiofixer Re: SCAM ALERT - 08/12/18 06:15 AM
Recently got scammed for $200.00 saying to pay them Paypal as friend or relative. Don't do it. You are not covered under buyer protection. Tell them you will add the 2.9% Paypal fee for goods and services. It was paid to a hennywilson80@ gmail.com which is a legit email located in NYC. Belonging to a Henrietta Wilson. Paypal would not disclose any information. The scammer gave me a name of Frank James and frankjames@gmail.com email address with an address in Richmond TX.
Probably will never see my money back but did report it as mail fraud and tried to call NYC police dept. Since it was fraudulent might contest Paypal's non disclosure rule with a lawyer's letter.
Posted By: wesb Re: SCAM ALERT - 09/07/18 12:38 AM
Beware of Jamar or Jimmy Fuentes, Hayward. Calls to say somebody noticed you were looking for a part. Doesn't recall who. He has the part. Wants money sent . Send to his brother. His address doesn't exist. His number is 510 203 2959. Just about hooked me 2 years ago. He or an acomplice is seeing the VCCA ads.
Posted By: jschildberg Re: SCAM ALERT - 06/01/19 12:53 PM
Has any one done business with Marlo Briseno from Sacramento Ca?
Posted By: jschildberg Re: SCAM ALERT - 08/24/19 02:10 PM
I just got three emails from a new member saying that he has three of the items that I have been looking for in the Parts Wanted section. I tried to PM him but he has 0 posts and it says xxxxx is over their Private Topic limit. He is a new member and I don't want to think that he is not honest and maybe he doesn't know yet how to post to the forums. I just thought it was weird that he would have all three NOS items that I have been asking for in the parts wanted section.
Posted By: AntiqueMechanic Re: SCAM ALERT - 08/24/19 03:58 PM
So, here is my story. I'm sure you have seen my ad wanting a bulb for my 1950 fog light. I reposted the ad yesterday and received a PM from
jp324424@gmail.com in Florida. He said he had exactly the bulb that I wanted and could arrange shipping. I ask for his price with shipping and he said by email (he wanted all transactions by email and not by Chevy Chat) he wanted $200.00 and to send the money by Money Gram. Does this sound like a SCAM so far? His name is: JOHN PAUL Another clue is that his communications are not in good English, but easily detected as not clear. I had ask if he had any other parts/accessories for the 1950 and he said yes, and to give him my list and he would include them in shipping with the bulb. Obviously trying to add to the SCAM.

Read everything closely, and if it sounds too good or critical information is lacking, it may be a SCAM.

devil Agrin
Posted By: m006840 Re: SCAM ALERT - 08/24/19 05:27 PM
Got a reply from the same person on my ad for headlight clips. looks like he registered the same day he replied so I only replied to him via Chat PM. No response back. No mention about the part other than he has it and can ship it. He needs to be barred from the site.
Posted By: OLDREK Re: SCAM ALERT - 08/24/19 05:55 PM
I just got a reply to my bumper bracket search from the same loser just today. Shields up!!!!
Posted By: jschildberg Re: SCAM ALERT - 08/24/19 07:06 PM
That guy is exactly the one that I was talking about; It's funny he has all the parts that we are looking for especially OEM parts. I have emailed him back and asked for pictures and measurements of the running boards but has not answered me yet. I agree he should be banned from the VCCA.
Posted By: Jonjet Re: SCAM ALERT - 08/24/19 08:07 PM
Said he had Heater I was looking for. Sent him an e-mail asking price and got no answer. How do these guys get in here?
Posted By: Rusty_Heaps Re: SCAM ALERT - 08/24/19 08:38 PM
Just checked my PMs and sure enough, guess who? James ! With the parts for my '46 in excellent condition! WOW how fortunate! Not falling for it
Posted By: AntiqueMechanic Re: SCAM ALERT - 08/24/19 11:50 PM

John Paul has just contacted me again and has offered to lower the price on the sealed beam bulb for my 1950 fog light. Got nothing else to do so I think I will play along with his game. Obviously, he has not discovered we have identified him as a SCAMMER!

devil Agrin
Posted By: decarter Re: SCAM ALERT - 08/25/19 02:40 AM
JamesZ also contacted me to let me know has the parts I had advertised in the Parts Wanted section. Can't he be removed??
Posted By: jschildberg Re: SCAM ALERT - 08/25/19 02:42 AM
It would be nice to get his location and maybe the law could take care of him. The last time I knew that mail fraud was a federal offence. I hope the webmaster will let us know what has happened with this guy.
Posted By: tonyw Re: SCAM ALERT - 08/25/19 07:26 AM
Sounds like I have been almost caught as well but through PM though he wanted email for reply. I will put him on the banned list shortly.
Tony
Posted By: jschildberg Re: SCAM ALERT - 08/25/19 12:11 PM
I just got a picture of the running board mats from John Paul in Florida. These don't look like the real mats for my 38 Cabriolet do they?

Attached picture running mats.jpg
Posted By: Jonjet Re: SCAM ALERT - 08/25/19 01:52 PM
This guys working real hard. First he sent me a picture of a Heater Switch, not a Heater. Then he sends me a picture of a 35 Heater not a 34. A picture which I think I've seen before, beware!
Posted By: OLDREK Re: SCAM ALERT - 08/25/19 05:16 PM
He just sent me pictures of the bumper brackets I'm looking for. Looks like they have GM stickers on them?? I think I'll play this out a bit right to the point where I have to open my wallet......
Posted By: canadiantim Re: SCAM ALERT - 08/25/19 08:29 PM
Same guy has PM'd me for something I was looking for. Poor english and no mention of the actual part, just that he has "it" available.

jp324424@gmail.com is the email he is using
Posted By: jschildberg Re: SCAM ALERT - 08/26/19 12:40 AM
John Paul just emailed me again after I asked for pictures of the door sill moldings and the gear shift knob. This is what his reply was. They will work, and they are perfect in good condition. Return can be
made within 14 days of receiving the item. No worries about shipment
,I will take payment
via Money gram.
I just replied, "John Paul I still want the measurements and pictures of the door sill moldings and the gear shift knob. Do the running board mats have a lip or are they just flat and how long are they? Before I send any money I want to be sure what I am buying".
I'm going to see what he comes up with for an answer this time. I don't think this guy knows headlight or a tail pipe. I think I'm going to ask him if he has a NOS muffler belt for my 38. LOL
Posted By: Jonjet Re: SCAM ALERT - 08/26/19 11:46 AM
He sent me another e-mail after I told him the Heater was a35 not a 34. Sent a picture of I don't know what and said he had so many. i"M convinced he doesn't know what he has.
Posted By: OLDREK Re: SCAM ALERT - 08/26/19 12:35 PM
Heres a new one...he wants me to buy an iTunes gift card and then send him a picture with the activation code exposed, then he'll send me my parts.
Surely someone on this site has someone or lives in Florida, that could insist on picking up their parts in person????
Posted By: jschildberg Re: SCAM ALERT - 08/26/19 12:54 PM
He sent some pictures to me but not what I have asked for. Anyway he doesn't have a 38.

Attached picture johnpaul1.jpg
Attached picture johnpaul2.jpg
Posted By: Peter_Gariepy Re: SCAM ALERT - 08/26/19 03:08 PM
Stopping scammers starts with you. As always, talk them them... get photos... pay using paypal and include insurance, etc.

Caveat Emptor
The principle that the buyer alone is responsible for checking the quality and suitability of goods before a purchase is made.
Posted By: m006840 Re: SCAM ALERT - 08/27/19 12:17 AM
I doubt he is in Florida and if he gives an address it most likely is not his. Good chance he is in another country.
Posted By: oldie62 Re: SCAM ALERT - 08/28/19 01:17 AM
This is oldie62. This guy James received my e-mail from the wanted list. Telling me that he has a lot of parts that I need for my 50 Chevy.This guy is the same guy from Florida.. Scammer on our site. Watch out for him. Greg
Posted By: m006840 Re: SCAM ALERT - 08/28/19 02:42 PM
When I got a reply to my PM to him it was via a new post from " Brewsteer3 ". Good clue is he registered the same day he replied and has no post. No post or history to me sends up the red flag.
Posted By: 35Mike Re: SCAM ALERT - 08/28/19 09:23 PM
Jon,
You are mistaken. He knows what he has because he has nothing. Whenever I get contacted by these guys, they always say they have my part. Never, I have your bearing or I have your tail light. If the message comes from "xxxxspares", that probably means it came from England or some other english speaking place where extra parts are referred to as "spares"
I have had phone calls from some scammers (not foreigners) when they found an ad with my number. I asked for photos so they robbed some pics from an eBay listing and sent them to me. You gotta be alert.

Mike
Posted By: AntiqueMechanic Re: SCAM ALERT - 08/29/19 12:12 AM

In addition to Brewsteer3 , we now have Chris Brumfield, 2416 Est 10th St, The Dalles, OR 97058. The bunch of crooks are preventing me from getting legitimate leads on a clear 50 fog light bulb.

If someone has that bulb, please call me. 360-989-5981

devil Agrin
Posted By: Jonjet Re: SCAM ALERT - 08/29/19 02:29 AM
It might be very helpful to have a current printed VCCA Roster book printed to look up current members. My last copy is from Dec. 2011. I would pay to have a copy.
Posted By: Jonjet Re: SCAM ALERT - 08/29/19 02:48 AM
Ray, This guy says he has a 34 Heater. Do you know for sure he's a scammer. I see he's not a member.
Posted By: canadiantim Re: SCAM ALERT - 08/29/19 03:12 AM
Gee he has what I want too. He must have LOTS of parts....
Posted By: AntiqueMechanic Re: SCAM ALERT - 08/29/19 06:52 AM

Jon, all I can say is when I insisted I pay by PayPal, he ducked his tail and ran. He insisted I pay by Venmo. Never heard of that system.

devil Agrin
Posted By: jschildberg Re: SCAM ALERT - 08/29/19 11:23 AM
Jon T, I would pay for one also mainly because I don't have one. I joined in 2014 and I didn't know there was one out there. Oh and I have been talking via email to Chrisopher Brumfield the running board mats that I have been looking for. I got his email from a private message from Brewsteer3, that I though was a member. It read " Contact Chris in Oregon, He has a 38 Cabriolet gear shift knob for sale. Here's his email Chrisbrumfield01@gmail.com",
. He even sent me a picture of the real thing. I'm glad I didn't bite
Posted By: m006840 Re: SCAM ALERT - 08/29/19 11:13 PM
All VCCA members have access on the VCCA main page menu to check member status. All you need is his VCCA number (if listed on his chat profile) . If he is not listed as a VCCA member thats the first red flag. If he joined today or yesterday that's the second red flag. If he wants you to contact someone else that's the third red flag. If his conversation is vague such as not to include any reference to the part other than he or someone else has it then that's the fourth red flag. Other than a non member red flag all others are a no go for me.
Posted By: OLDREK Re: SCAM ALERT - 08/30/19 04:18 PM
I just got the " Contact Chris in Oregon" message from Brewsteer3, These guys are even too dumb to realize that we're talking about them in the "Scam Alert" posts.......sheesh.
Posted By: AntiqueMechanic Re: SCAM ALERT - 08/30/19 11:39 PM

I have banned "Brewsteer3" for 30 days. Let's see what he comes back as. I can't ban any more of them unless they post on Chevy
Chat. For example I can't do anything about "Chris Brumfield" as he has not posted on our Forum.

devil Agrin
Posted By: stefakicoupe Re: SCAM ALERT - 08/31/19 10:43 AM
the jp324423 guy said he had a trans located in orlando fla asked him for address and other info then told him i would have a friend in florida pick it '' NEVER'' heard from him again
Posted By: jschildberg Re: SCAM ALERT - 09/11/19 08:13 PM
There's a new scam person lurking around. I posted a parts wanted at the AACA for a right rear fender for my 38 Cabriolet. I got a message from " 0ldkm.00" that said "Shoot me a text if you still need the Rear fender for 1938 Chevy. 915-671-0772". I didn't text him because he had only joined AACA the day I posted the item. I just thought you all should know that there are some more or the same scammer still working the Parts Wanted forums.
Posted By: m006840 Re: SCAM ALERT - 10/09/19 01:24 PM
Just got a reply to my parts wanted ad from "Joeming" who joined today . Strange he says he is in Washington but listed Florida when he registered for Chat. Also used the same wording as previous scams:" This is Joe. Emailing about your wanted Ad. I do have for sale in excellent

condition . I am in Washington and I can arrange shipping . please email me on

joeming0147@gmail.com" I think it would be appropriate if one of the moderators would ban him.
Posted By: ScottCrawford Re: SCAM ALERT - 10/09/19 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by m006840
Just got a reply to my parts wanted ad from "Joeming" who joined today . Strange he says he is in Washington but listed Florida when he registered for Chat. Also used the same wording as previous scams:" This is Joe. Emailing about your wanted Ad. I do have for sale in excellent

condition . I am in Washington and I can arrange shipping . please email me on

joeming0147@gmail.com" I think it would be appropriate if one of the moderators would ban him.
He messaged me too
Posted By: CarDC Re: SCAM ALERT - 10/09/19 03:13 PM
Got the same message. Checked his profile came to the same conclusion. A SCAM
I requested pictures just to play with him a little.
Posted By: cabboy Re: SCAM ALERT - 10/09/19 04:57 PM
Joeming0147 has my parts too. I asked him for pics to make him work a little. Actually sent me pics but the wrong part and easily found on the net. Time to block!
Posted By: olsarge Re: SCAM ALERT - 10/09/19 10:45 PM
Here's a series of emails back and forth between me and Joe Ming over the last day. I have removed sensitive information about myself.

On Oct 9, 2019 12:40, James Wright <- - - - - - - @bellsouth.net> wrote:
Joe, thank you very much. I am certainly interested. Just to confirm I'm in need of the driver's door window regulator for a '55 Nomad. I understand it is the same for the 2-door post car and 2-door wagon. Please give me a price and of course I'll pay the shipping. If the price is agreeable I'll send you a check. You can wait to ship the part until the check clears. Thanks again, James Wright *** ***-****
Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S8, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

Original message --------From: Joe Ming <joeming0147@gmail.com>
Date: 10/9/19 8:51 AM (GMT-05:00) To: pappy <- - - - - -@bellsouth.net>
Subject:
Re: Window regulator Just got your message, i appreciate your effort in finalizing this deal. I will take 100$ including shipping.
Thanks

On 10/9/19, James Wright <- - - - - -@bellsouth.net> wrote:
Joe, that sounds good to me. I'm going to be traveling over the next few days. If I don't get you a check in the mail today it may be next week. Where do I mail the check? You can ship it to: James Wright - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Thanks again.
James Wright Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S8, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

On Oct 9, 2019 4:37 PM, Joe Ming <joeming0147@gmail.com> wrote:
Just got your shipping address, But i will take payment through Money gram. You can go to any Money gram office close to you and make payment with the details i will send to you. I guess they one located in 4725 N Ocean Dr, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308, it's very easy that way and will make shipping out fast on time ..I want you to send payment to my son caregiver over there in Moscow, Russia and upon payment confirmation, i will ship out the next day through FedEx or Ups whichever you prefer.
Thanks

On 10/9/19, James Wright <- - - - - - - @bellsouth.net> wrote:
Boy, you really had me. No I would rather walk into the bathroom and flush $100 down the toilet than to send it to someone in Moscow. I will be reporting your scam to the Chevy Chat and VCCA. You have a nice day.
James Wright

On Wednesday, October 9, 2019, 05:35:59 PM EDT, Joe Ming <joeming0147@gmail.com> wrote:

My friend you are my brother, i just wish you understand. there is no problem you can send through check if that's what you want okay. i was just trying to make things easy for both of us. we can exchange ID card if you wish to prove my sincerity to you, all my details are there.
i just wanted to use this opportunity to send the money to my son, I still have to send to another in Georgia. I can never ripe you off your money okay ..view attached ID (i am not a scam, don't tarnish my reputation okay)
Thanks

Looking forward to hear from you pretty soon.

On 10/9/19,James Wright <- - - - - -@bellsouth.net> wrote:
Joe, if you are legitimate you can ship me the part to the address I gave you. When I receive it I will send you payment. Even you response below does not sound legitimate to me. If you actually have the part send it to me. If not, I'll assume you're a scam artist and I will act accordingly. Better yet send the name and email addresses of 3 fellow VCCA members that can vouch for you. Otherwise have a good day.

James Wright
Posted By: jschildberg Re: SCAM ALERT - 10/10/19 01:10 AM
I think I was taken in yesterday. I have been emailing a guy for the last week. His number he gave me was a Oregon area code .He said he had the right rear fender that I had been looking for. He sent pictures of a 38 Cabriolet that he had been working on but lost interest. He also had pictures of other parts that I need. We settled on a price then when I asked where to send the money he told me to send it to his secretary in New York. He said to send cash in the mail and I told him I wouldn’t do that. To make a long story short, I used PayPal then yesterday he told me that he couldn’t get the money to send the parts. I asked why, then I asked if he was in prison. He emailed me back and said to cancel the PayPal payment. I’m working with PayPal to get my money back. I don’t know how he saw my post about wanting the fender, but he did. The guys name was Larry Harper ( harperllc@gmail.com ) and the guy who I sent the PayPal money to was Mark Lynch Address: 85 Watee St, Brooklyn, NY 11201.
Posted By: tonyw Re: SCAM ALERT - 10/10/19 08:04 AM
I just life banned him but that apparently doesnt always mean he cant show up again.
Tony
Posted By: CarDC Re: SCAM ALERT - 10/11/19 02:57 PM
Thanks for outing a POS
Posted By: PeterV Re: SCAM ALERT - 10/12/19 03:12 AM
Something like that just happened to me this past week. A guy emailed me about a drag link I was looking for in VCCA Chat parts Wanted. He said he had one he would sell me. He said he lived in Washington State. We agreed on a price and when I asked for his address to send the check he told me to send a money gram to his son, that is his caregiver, in Moscow Russia. I told him that this was starting to get complicated. I was thinking to myself, how can someone in Moscow, Russia be a caregiver to a man in Washington state? Don't caregivers give care on a daily basis? He then said when the money clears he would send the part. He even sent me the address of the closest place to me that issues money grams. His "son" had a long Russian name. His name is Joe Ming. email: joeming0147@gmail.com. He told me I could stop there on the way to work to get it out quickly. I didn't reply to him for 2 days and he emailed me with a sarcastic, "Oh, I guess you don't want it any more". I told him I got very busy and in the meantime someone else answered my ad that was local to me and I could just go to his house and pick it up instead of shipping it. He told me "That wasn't nice". I don't know. Oriental and Russian and caregiver that lives thousands of miles away across an ocean? I don't think so. Beware!
Posted By: BJSoder Re: SCAM ALERT - 10/12/19 09:44 AM
That would be my first thought - a care giver living thousands of miles away? I haven't run into any scams myself on this board, but I've run into many on Ebay and Craigslist. I haven't been taken in yet as my rule of thumb is that if it doesn't feel right in even the slightest way, stay away.
Posted By: PeterV Re: SCAM ALERT - 10/21/19 07:41 PM
Yeah Joe Ming is a real POS. He tried to get me to send money to Russia too.
Stay away from Joe Ming!

Pete V
Posted By: OLDSLOTSdotCOM Re: SCAM ALERT - 05/16/21 03:17 PM
How can you see information about someone's profile?

I posted a in the parts wanted for some Chevy artillery rims, got a reply from this person below saying they had a whole set, for a good price, located in WA state, and noticed they just joined this month and this was their first post.

"Jamtacoma
Grease Monkey
J
Tacoma, WA"

Thanks for any help, have not received any reply with pics or details yet to determine of they are legit.
Posted By: 37Blue Re: SCAM ALERT - 05/16/21 04:41 PM
I believe one must be a dues paying member of the VCCA in order to access profile info as well as a wealth of other goodies.

As for the question at hand, that person joined the site and posted a response to you all within a few minutes and apparently has not revisited since. That could be an indication of a need to be very cautious in any transactions with them? Good luck!
Posted By: OLDSLOTSdotCOM Re: SCAM ALERT - 05/20/21 01:27 PM
Yeah, and suspiciously said they had them for the exact same price someone else posted for a set last Fall.

I'm a veteran of dealing with scammer idiots so no worry.

Even had one fired from her job and brought up on Federal charges once.

Now that was satisfying....
Posted By: oldie62 Re: SCAM ALERT - 01/24/22 12:52 AM
You have to be very careful nowadays.I have a ad looking for 1949-50 chevy parts, and I get a message that so & so person has the parts I am by looking for. But I ask the person if this person is legit but with no response. Guys are using VCCA as route to scam our members. This happen to me twice already. oldie62 #57900. Stay alert & watchful. oldie62-Greg
Posted By: Mike McCagh Re: SCAM ALERT - 01/24/22 04:04 AM
I too had a scam attempt occur. I posted a VCCA want ad for some rear wheel cylinders, casting # 5456400. I replied to the fella to send me a photo of the wheel cylinders. haven't heard from him since. mike mccagh
Posted By: jacosta1935 Re: SCAM ALERT - 01/20/23 02:05 PM
thanks for the heads up, a few other tell tail signs is they only want payment through zelle, will give you a bogus phone number where an automated answering machine from google or some other machine ask's to state your name. Also, if ever sending through paypal only send as goods and services, pay the extra 3% so the seller isn't shorted. if the deal goes bad you are at least covered for your monetary loss. Them scammers are all over facebook and instagram.
Posted By: Tom_Putnam Re: SCAM ALERT - 01/16/24 09:00 AM
There is another scamer that is working parts wanted from this site too. He has 2 names calvin christopher and carey brown works out of henderson texas he showed you pics of parts he don't even have and he got me for297 $then he stole.my facebook account and is now selling parts from it and I can't stop him.he to me the reason he scared me was because I was white..the guy needs to be in prison.
Posted By: brewster Re: SCAM ALERT - 01/22/24 03:10 AM
The easy way to avoid scammers is to deal only with dues paying VCCA members. Ask for a VCCA number, and check it against the online roster.
Posted By: 63novaandy Re: SCAM ALERT - 01/25/24 09:42 PM
Yes that is one great suggestion Bruce is another one is try to Video call them most people have a smart phone or another suggestion is look up in the VCCA members and see if anyone is near by that could go look at the part or pick it up! most VCCA members are willing to help each other out when they know it seems to be a questionable situation! Also if it seems to be to good to be true it might be a scam!
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum