VCCA Home
Posted By: m006840 Reproduction parts - 09/09/15 12:38 AM
I recently purchased a directional switch and plastic tail lamp lens for my 32. Both items came from the Filling Station and while I am satisfied with the quality the following may be of interest for anyone considering these items. The plastic lens is of a noticeable color difference from one purchased previously, so if you want them to match you will need to purchase two at the same time so they come from the same batch. Also the universal signal switch described as " six or 12 volt" comes with a 12 volt bulb, it's just dimmer on six volts. It is a very inexpensive well functioning switch but the faint glimmer on the end of the handle could use improving. I plan on replacing the bulb with a 6 volt led.
Posted By: AntiqueMechanic Re: Reproduction parts - 09/09/15 01:13 AM

I think it is understood that any new device for your car marked for 6 or 12 volt will require a check of the bulb that is in the device. If you are going to use the item on a 6-volt car, then the bulb should be 6-volt.

Agrin devil
Posted By: m006840 Re: Reproduction parts - 09/09/15 01:54 AM
I agree it's necessary to check, but just thought that if they ask if it's for six or 12 volt then they would send one with that voltage or indicated that the correct bulb must be purchased separately. There is no voltage specified on the product or packaging (or I failed to see it). Just a catalog note that "comes with 12 volt bulb-if 6 volt desired order separately" would eliminate waiting until you have the part to find out.
Posted By: chef-chevy Re: Reproduction parts - 09/09/15 01:00 PM
Steve, I wish you would have asked, many years back I purchased a after market directional signal, which I never used and will not...It is 6v.....
Posted By: m006840 Re: Reproduction parts - 09/09/15 01:14 PM
The universal switch works fine on 6 volts, it's just the indicator 12v bulb that is rather dim. It really is a good switch for around $20.00. You might want to post yours under the parts for sale forum as I am sure someone could use it. Much better than having it just laying around.
Posted By: m006840 Re: Reproduction parts - 09/11/15 04:52 PM
My wiring guru built me an LED bulb and now it works great. He managed to get two LED's into the standard bulb base.
Posted By: chef-chevy Re: Reproduction parts - 09/11/15 05:13 PM
Glad to hear your problem is solved!
Posted By: m006840 Re: Reproduction parts - 09/11/15 11:54 PM
I am very fortunate to have a friend that is a wiz with electrical stuff, and almost everything mechanical. While many scour the internet for LED bulbs to fit he simply took two LED's and installed them in the standard bulb base. He retired from a job as a traffic engineer for one of our states larger cites and then worked in a restoration shop. His work is first class in both design and build. He took the elcheapo switch I bought and installed it by solder connecting all the wires (no butt connectors), ran them thru a loom with two wires exiting thru the loom under the dash and by looking at it you would think it was factory installed.
Posted By: Junkyard Dog Re: Reproduction parts - 09/12/15 04:25 AM
Sounds cool!

laugh wink beer2
Posted By: chef-chevy Re: Reproduction parts - 09/12/15 04:03 PM
Steve many years ago I purchased tail light sockets from COT40s with 2 bulbs soldered in..I never used them,found original ones
Posted By: wisebri24 Re: Reproduction parts - 09/24/15 11:19 PM
In electrical-6v forum, someone listed a source for 6v LED bulbs for tail lights.
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum