VCCA Home
Posted By: newcaredoc 35 Master Restoration Help - 02/14/19 10:11 PM
We are restoring a 35 Master Sedan for a widow. (her and her late husband bought the car in 1970 with their wedding money) We need help on a couple issues.

1) The tail light bracket on the left side (only one) has the license plate holder broken off. We are looking for a replacement. Being the trunkless sedan, the bracket attaches to the rear of the fender with a very vertical angle. Does anyone have a spare for sale or would be willing to loan us a good one to have scanned and 3D printed?

2) She would like the car painted Regimental Blue code 191. Unfortunately, our paint supplier codes only go back to 1939 and do not have the mixing chart for this color. Are there any contemporary colors that would match?

Thanks!
Posted By: terrill Re: 35 Master Restoration Help - 02/14/19 11:16 PM
Click the blinking flag for a my message to you.
Posted By: brino Re: 35 Master Restoration Help - 02/20/19 03:56 AM
Doc,

When I restored my '36 PU in the early 1970s I was seeking an original color called "Hollywood Tan" for the cab and bed. I found it at Thompson Lacquer in Los Angeles:

https://www.manta.com/c/mmsqnhk/thompson-lacquer

The fenders are black so matching that was no challenge.

They had color chips dating back to the very early years of the auto industry and matched my desired color to a then current Volvo color called Fawn. Back then the best, most durable vehicle paint was acrylic enamel. It was very challenging to spray in a home garage but proved to be great stuff. Forty five years later it still looks great so it was well worth the effort. Thompson even sold me a small Binks spray gun that worked with my little Sears 1 HP compressor and all the other materials that are required to paint a vehicle.

I'd suggest contacting Thompson for the color you're seeking. When I bought my stuff from them so long ago they seemed really happy to help a do-it-yourselfer who had never painted anything but had the gumption to attempt painting a restored antique at home. They took a lot of time to explain the processes I would be using and the materials I would need. I could not have done it without them.

By the way, the compressor and spray gun have painted a lot of other things over the decades and still work great.

I hope this helps and long live do-it-yourselfers!

Ray W
Posted By: 35chev2drtwnsdn Re: 35 Master Restoration Help - 04/04/19 07:38 AM
I found a tail light assembly at Hershey PA. company specialized in these parts. I'll look for the name.
I have a darn perfect 35 if you ever need a benchmark

j1.j4company@gmail.com
Detroit

jeff
Posted By: 35chev2drtwnsdn Re: 35 Master Restoration Help - 04/04/19 07:40 AM
Go to Wiltses Auto paint, Pontiac Michigan, they will help you with the paint. They just supplied me weird color for 28 Pontiac.
Posted By: Dave39MD Re: 35 Master Restoration Help - 04/04/19 09:36 AM
I have these but don't know what they fit, by chance is one of them a match?

Dave

Attached picture tail lights unknown.jpg
Posted By: newcaredoc Re: 35 Master Restoration Help - 04/04/19 06:51 PM
Looks close, but not quite. Thank you!
[Linked Image from bowtiecars.com]
Posted By: newcaredoc Re: 35 Master Restoration Help - 04/04/19 07:01 PM
Thank you, I'll check them out.
Posted By: mike_lynch Re: 35 Master Restoration Help - 04/05/19 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by Dave39MD
I have these but don't know what they fit, by chance is one of them a match?

Dave

The long one I would peg at a 35 master or a 36 master or standard. Altho I do not own one, have noticed in pictures that the various sedans have different tail light arms.

mike lynch
Posted By: Bill Masters Re: 35 Master Restoration Help - 04/06/19 02:33 AM
Newcaredoc, I saw this1935 Master for sale yesterday at the Charlotte swap meet.

Attached picture 1935 Master 001.JPG
Attached picture 1935 Master 003.JPG
Attached picture 1935 Master 006.JPG
Posted By: mike_lynch Re: 35 Master Restoration Help - 04/06/19 04:18 AM
I think there must be 2-3 of these mounting arms for the 35-36 chev in different lengths.

That's the wrong tail light lens on the one above.

mike
Posted By: 35Mike Re: 35 Master Restoration Help - 04/06/19 04:44 AM
That is a truck lens on a passenger lamp. The truck lens is taller so it probably extends up and down a bit.

Mike
Posted By: PeterV Re: 35 Master Restoration Help - 04/07/19 04:24 PM
Ron, I have this one. It is in real nice shape. Solid, no rust through. All pieces and sockets inside. The lens has a crack but fine. Is this what you are looking for?

Attached picture tailight1.jpg
Attached picture tailight2.jpg
Attached picture tailight3.jpg
Attached picture tailight4.jpg
Posted By: mike_lynch Re: 35 Master Restoration Help - 04/07/19 09:46 PM
This tail light license plate holder assembly fits : 1933 Chevrolet master , 1933 Chevrolet standard, 1934 Chevrolet master ( except the one with trunk in rear ), 1934 Chevrolet standard sedan/coach early till dec 1934 also coupe, touring 34 std, 1935 chev standard** all** except coach/ sedan which uses bumper mount because body is 2" longer.

These appear on ebay fairly regularly.

mike lynch
Posted By: juanz1947 Re: 35 Master Restoration Help - 05/21/19 04:50 PM
This is the one you're looking for a recently purchased off of eBay because mine has a chip in the license plate bracket as well for 1935 Chevy master with the spare tire on the back and fit 1936 coupe and 1936 is where spare tires

[Linked Image from i1013.photobucket.com]
Posted By: Jonjet Re: 35 Master Restoration Help - 05/21/19 06:18 PM
This statement makes absolutely no sense to me? Is there three sentences in one?
Posted By: J Franklin Re: 35 Master Restoration Help - 05/22/19 12:36 AM
It is just a good idea to proofread before sending, always!
Originally Posted by juanz1947
This is the one you're looking for a recently purchased off of eBay because mine has a chip in the license plate bracket as well for 1935 Chevy master with the spare tire on the back and fit 1936 coupe and 1936 is where spare tires

This is a 1935 Master bracket with a 1936 bucket. The 1935 bucket uses the tag bulb pushed against a grommet as the lens, the glass lens was added in 1936.

Mike B :)
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum