VCCA Home
Posted By: ruscar '48 chevy, what goes next - 04/25/11 12:29 AM
So I have the nail strips in. What comes next? I'm thinking the wind lace, then the headliner, then nail-on? All advice much appreciated. [Linked Image from pic50.picturetrail.com] [Linked Image from pic50.picturetrail.com]
Thanks, Russell
Posted By: PDXjoe Re: '48 chevy, what goes next - 04/25/11 03:36 PM
Sound deadening material in the doors and under the floor mat should come next. When I helped a fellow club member do his '50 2 door hardtop we used modern shiny material in the doors and on the floor. I don't remember the brand name of the product. The material works very well because the doors don't sound tinny when you close them..
Posted By: mike41 Re: '48 chevy, what goes next - 04/25/11 06:57 PM
I agree w/PDXjoe. Seems like sound deadening material might be worth considering.

I used "sound deadening material" on the floors, under & behind the back seat and inside the rear Qtr. panels. It did cut down on road sounds.

It's available in rolls or cut sizes from Filling Station, Chevsofthe40s, Eastwood and other places. And it's easy to install. I know some of the places sell a "kit" for the entire interior.

Enjoy the ride,
Michael41

Posted By: Tiny Re: '48 chevy, what goes next - 04/25/11 11:12 PM
Go to your local home center and get a roofing product called Peel & Seal or similar. It's a lot cheaper than hush mat or other products made specifically for cars and it does just as good a job. <CLICK>
Posted By: jacksblack37 Re: '48 chevy, what goes next - 04/25/11 11:27 PM
i believe you are asking about headliner and windlace?looks as if you have installed jutestyle on roof.yes windlace,then headliner then wireon,or hidem.dont forget to add any parts of headlier,like on windshield post,before hidem.when youput headliner in start in center of front and rear.pull till all wrinkles run fron to rear.then start working evenly side to side.go slow,you can always tighten ,tough to loosen after nail tack staple holes are in it.good luck.46 years as a trimmer tells me im right.is this car suppose to have tuck strips,looks as if tack strip is aways from the door edge?
Posted By: ruscar Re: '48 chevy, what goes next - 04/27/11 01:34 AM
Jackblack37, unfortunately for me I didn't take the car apart. I was paying someone to restore it for me but I ran out of funds. I brought the car home in 2005 and it has been sitting in the garage since. I decided a few months back to try and see how far I could get on my own. I do not know about "tuck" strips. The tack strips in the photos are only about 1/8" from the edge of the door opening. Yes, you did answer what I was wanting to know. Thank you
Posted By: jacksblack37 Re: '48 chevy, what goes next - 04/27/11 11:27 AM
i was looking at your new tack strip,it is the rubber stuff?i don like that stuff,you need to be sure it is fastened tight to the car,if it isn't it will move,like a snake.when i use it i rivet or screw any where from 1-4"apart,glues have never held it for me.ill see if i can find a reference pic for your edges to see if that had the tuck strips,i have a freind with 46 47 so i'll check.either way,if you dont have them,the tacking and hiden will work.

jack
Posted By: ruscar Re: '48 chevy, what goes next - 04/27/11 03:43 PM
Jack, it is the stuff I got from Hampton Coach. It appears to be a type of plastic. I tryed to set it in a bed of 3M weather strip adheasive but it did not stick to this stuff. When I called Hamptom Coach they told me that for my 48 I had to put in two layers (it is sold as 1/4" thick) to make it the right thickness. Well, when I received it, it turned out to be 5/16" thick. So I cut down one layer (5/16 + 3/16) to get it to the right thickness. I will take your suggestion and add so rivets.
Posted By: SPAMMER Re: '48 chevy, what goes next - 06/14/11 09:47 AM
unfortunately for me I didn't take the car apart.

<DELETED SIGNATURE>
Posted By: p.k. Re: '48 chevy, what goes next - 06/14/11 01:24 PM
spam Attack !!!!
Posted By: Chipper Re: '48 chevy, what goes next - 06/14/11 01:32 PM
Apparently the ban of China did not work.
Posted By: Bill Barker Re: '48 chevy, what goes next - 06/14/11 10:40 PM
I've added a few more restrictions. Now we'll see whether they circumvent those.
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum