VCCA Home
Posted By: ChevyGuru Generator tag decal - 03/21/17 02:13 AM
Here's a dummy question. The commonly seen little round orange decal, which goes over one terminal on the Generator - ("Generator Warning Tag" I think it is called). It was used all through the 50s and early 60s. Is the reproduction a true "decal" - do you peel and stick it, water it, what? Or does it just lay there and not really a "decal" at all? It doesn't seem to want to peel, I doubt it is water based.

[Linked Image from i1122.photobucket.com]
Posted By: Junkyard Dog Re: Generator tag decal - 03/21/17 02:20 AM
The tags in question are not decals. The tags that I have, like the one depicted in your photo, are made from card stock and they are attached directly to the base of the generator terminal.

laugh wink beer2
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: Generator tag decal - 03/21/17 02:26 AM
They are not a decal. Just placed under the terminal and lay against the generator. What year were they first used?
Posted By: ChevyGuru Re: Generator tag decal - 03/21/17 02:29 AM
Thanks, Gene. It seems like I remember seeing them back in 6 volt applications, back into the late 40's - 1950 era. Not sure.
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: Generator tag decal - 03/21/17 02:30 AM
thats what my thinking was also.
Posted By: ChevyGuru Re: Generator tag decal - 03/21/17 02:43 AM
I'm finally back to work on my '56 wagon after a year and a half idle. It still had the remnants of that generator tag in place - first time I ever saw one that was still there from the factory - so I thought it deserved a new one after rebuild. The old original had glued itself down to the generator body which is why I asked. Not much left of it but blank white paper.

[Linked Image from i1122.photobucket.com]

Posted By: Mike McCagh Re: Generator tag decal - 03/21/17 03:27 AM
the 53 corvettes had the thick paper label for sure. can say if pre 53 chevys used them tho. mike
Posted By: Junkyard Dog Re: Generator tag decal - 03/21/17 04:03 AM
They are not a decal. Just placed under the terminal and lay against the generator.

I think that I mentioned that above. bigl

laugh wink beer2
Posted By: ChevyGuru Re: Generator tag decal - 03/22/17 01:49 AM
Well, Dog, in all fairness, Gene's post is only 6 minutes after yours. He had probably already started to answer when yours popped up, and he didn't see it before posting his own. Just like I said "thanks Gene" and didn't include you - because I saw Gene's answer before I realized you had the same answer right above it! So - thanks, Skipper, a little late.
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum