VCCA Home
Posted By: 37Freak Generator warning light necessary ? - 08/22/16 06:25 PM
Hi!
My 37 Master is converted to 12V with a 1956 Chevy generator (12V;30Amps).
In the 1956 wiring plan a generator warning (idiot) light is shown.
Is this light necessary?
Old Bosch systems in my 30s and 50s Motorcycles need this light.
To get the Bosch generator going, a tiny field current must be supplied. This current is initially provided by the warning light. With the Ignition switch closed, current flows thru the lamp to the regulator and into the field winding. If the dash warning light is burned out or disconnected, the generator probably won't begin charging.
Maybe Delco 6V and 12V generators are better self-exciting at start-up then Bosch stuff. crazy

Thank you!
Tino
Posted By: tonyw Re: Generator warning light necessary ? - 08/23/16 08:47 AM
I have always found the idiot light is required on all systems to supply the field windings. This applies to alternators as well.
Tony
Posted By: 37Freak Re: Generator warning light necessary ? - 08/27/16 01:52 PM
Thank you!
Is a 12V 2W bulb ok?

Tino
Posted By: tonyw Re: Generator warning light necessary ? - 08/28/16 09:40 AM
You need a standard type globe (not LED) and I would think a 2w would be very close to requirement, it only allows a small current to the generator field.
Tony
Posted By: wannchev Re: Generator warning light necessary ? - 09/26/16 02:59 PM
The warning light on generator systems is connected between the ignition switch and the armature terminal. When the gen is stationary juice flows from the ignition switch thro the lamp to the armature, being stationary it develops zero volts and current flows thru it to earth lighting the lamp.As it slowly revs up with the engine the voltage slowly rises and the lamp goes out.
Posted By: 47Aero Re: Generator warning light necessary ? - 01/11/18 02:01 PM
You can substitute a resistor in place of the lamp (72 ohms , 2watts), and if you can ,mount it near the alternator,
Posted By: 37Freak Re: Generator warning light necessary ? - 01/23/18 09:54 AM
At least, this is what I did.

http://www.lt-forum.de/dokuwiki/lib/exe/fetch.php?w=500&tok=06a77a&media=start:aus_umbauanleitungen:led-cockpit:led-anschluss_im_kfz-schema-ladekontrolle.jpg

Tino
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum