Posted By: stanman Battery disconnect - 02/09/12 11:12 PM
Simple question.
When using a disconnect switch on a 6 volt batt
Should I put it on the pos or neg side?
Thanks
Stanman
Posted By: Junkyard Dog Re: Battery disconnect - 02/10/12 12:07 AM
Negative side.

You posted your six volt question in the Electrical - 12 Volt forum instead of the Electrical - 6 Volt forum. bigl

laugh wink beer2
Posted By: stanman Re: Battery disconnect - 02/10/12 12:23 AM
I realized that after I posted it.
I'll be more careful.
Why the negative side?
Stan
Posted By: kevin47 Re: Battery disconnect - 02/10/12 01:35 AM
..I suppose it's just "protocol"...You always disconnect the ground of a battery first...This Question is not 6 / 12 volt exclusive , no apology necessary...
Posted By: MrMack Re: Battery disconnect - 02/10/12 04:40 AM
There is a realistic reason to disconnect the negative cable at the battery first. There is no potential between the negative cable and any metal on the car, so it won't spark and cause a high current flow if your metal wrench on the negative terminal fastener happens to connect with some metal part of the car, which can happen often if you are disconnecting the positive cable first and touch metal with your wrench while it is on the nut of the positive cable. then after the negative cable is removed the positive cable is also safe because the negative terminal isn't connected to the car metal either. Like wise you connect the positive cable first tnen the negative cable. Think about it and it makes good sense.
I also would consider connecting the battery disconnect switch to the positive cable, because if it is connected to the negative cable all you have to do to "wire around" the disconnect switch is to connect a jumper cable to the negative terminal and then to any solid metal part of the engine, where you would have to attach a jumper cable to the positive terminal on the battery and connect the other end of the jumper cable to the (usually an insulated terminal) on the solenoid where the positive cable is connected, usually under the car at the starter. Doesn't that also make sense?
Posted By: kevin47 Re: Battery disconnect - 02/11/12 04:39 AM
How True...It's also a safety concern of mine...How many times have you watched someone ( like myself ) start loosening the POS. only to have the wrench ground-out and spark...I don't care for flame , fire , or sparks around my battery...It's not 4th 'o July and I don't care for fireworks...And Hey ! Don't forget to wear your safety glasses around battery work...As for the Disconnect , I don't know if I'll ever have time for that project...Heck , I'm happy if it's even RUNNING half the time...lol I like Steering Wheel Locks...
Posted By: 41specialdeluxe Re: Battery disconnect - 02/15/12 12:42 PM
MrMack,
You lost me at about the third line. Did too.Agrin
Charlie computer
Posted By: 41specialdeluxe Re: Battery disconnect - 02/15/12 12:48 PM
"You posted your six volt question in the Electrical - 12 Volt forum instead of the Electrical - 6 Volt forum."

How dare he. wave

Keep 'um straight there, JD.
Charlie computer
Posted By: Junkyard Dog Re: Battery disconnect - 02/15/12 03:22 PM
I see that you are back to your old ways with your sarcastic remarks Charlie. talk

laugh wink beer2
Posted By: MrMack Re: Battery disconnect - 02/15/12 03:41 PM
Sorry about loseing you Charlie, I tried to word the information toward the adults here. Those that have completed "Normal" schooling or (8th grade).
Posted By: kevin47 Re: Battery disconnect - 02/15/12 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by Junkyard Dog
I see that you are back to your old ways with your sarcastic remarks Charlie. talk

laugh wink beer2
...BACK to ?
Posted By: 41specialdeluxe Re: Battery disconnect - 02/15/12 10:16 PM
JD,
Yeah, I shouldn't have done that. I regret it.

I was just thinking that every little, relatively minor slip-up, as in the one Stanman made (in posting in the incorrect forum), didn't necessarily need pointing out. Especially when the same comments and applications were, or would be, common to either voltage.

On hindsight I have concluded that you meant only to straightforwardly point out his error. Nothing more and a noteworthy comment.

Nonetheless, I may have intended a bit of chiding but sarcasm was not. Yet I can see how it could be taken that way.

I should have kept my thoughts to myself. Sorry.
Respectively,
Charlie computer
Posted By: 41specialdeluxe Re: Battery disconnect - 02/15/12 10:26 PM
MrMack,
I got lost owing to my limited education. It was't your fault. I need to go back to school so I can follow a more comprehensive thread on what I'm reading.

I do need to get me one of those cut-offs, though. Nearly burned the coupe up a while back. Had an electrical fire under the dash (hot light wire shorted out) and couldn't get the darn battery cable off. Guess I'm waiting for it to happen again. Go figure.

What is the best kind or make of those gadgets? My understanding is that some are better than others. And, not that it will matter much to me, but are points taken off for them?
Charlie computer
Posted By: MrMack Re: Battery disconnect - 02/15/12 10:54 PM
I have decided that the cut-off on the battery is a waste of money. I would need to know, when do I cut it off? and then when do I need to cut it back on?

I think that it has a handle on it that you move back and forth cut it off, cut it on. I am going to call it "lever B"..... like leave her Be, like it came from the dealer!

I figure if you are dumb enough to burn your car up, maybe you should not have a car.

Wow! I just thought how fast one of them Chevy Volts would burn up with all that plastic and all them batteries! "Quick , Bubba, call the fire Department, call 911!, Call Daddy!..Ma just plugged the power cord into the gas filler hole!"
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum