VCCA Home
Posted By: Super400 Turn signal mystery - 06/04/07 08:05 PM
Not sure if it's the spcific light, wiring, or me...

59 Apache

The drivers side rear light is brighter than the other side. When the brake is applied, the other side matches the brightness. The turn signal works as it should - unless the running lights are on! Then the light does not blink. The front does, the rear does not. Only when the running lights are on does it not signal.

Any advice? I sure would appreciate it.
Posted By: dandyd Re: Turn signal mystery - 06/04/07 09:20 PM
Sounds like a ground problem.
Posted By: stylemaster47 Re: Turn signal mystery - 06/05/07 12:20 AM
Dandyd sounds correct. It appears to be finding an alternative ground due to lack of a proper correct ground.
Posted By: tonyw Re: Turn signal mystery - 06/05/07 10:56 AM
It could also be an incorrect globe or globe fitted incorrectly.
Tony
Posted By: 42bill Re: Turn signal mystery - 06/05/07 07:47 PM
Hey Jim,

I don't mean to talk down to ya or sound like an echo B-U-T, as Tony suggests, I'd be sure all is well with the bulb(s). I can't be the only guy that ever grabbed the wrong bulb. Or opened a NEW pack and somehow got the only BAD bulb. Or didn't insert it just "so." Or had a problem that I didn't even make myself.

Basically, I had the same type problem you describe with the '56 convertible I bought about a year ago. I called the previous owner and he said it had always been screwed up - for the 3 years he owned the car! (Oh KRAP, thought I!!)

Well, the good news is after half hour or so of screwing around with bulbs, making sure they were 'in' just so and etc. etc. ALL is fine. The turn signals and brake lights work properly whether the lights are on or off, etc. NO expensive / time consuming wiring hassle. Basically, just a damned bulb.

I hope this inspires you to try some of the simple stuff first. You know, kinda like KISS.

Like I said, I definitely do NOT mean to be talking down to ya.... just hoping the best for ya!

Bill.
Posted By: Super400 Re: Turn signal mystery - 06/05/07 08:57 PM
Thanks Bill. I always appreciate the simple things. I removed the bulb and replaced it with a new one. Same thing. Replaced that one with another. Same thing.

Now, it just occurred to me today that I replaced the pigtail on it over the winter. Now, this could mean nothing. Or, it could be the root of the problem. Think I'll pull it out and try to reinstall it. I'll take a look at the way the bulb seats in the socket. It could be taht simple.

I rewired this truck 3 years ago and it has never shown signs of problems til this episode. It's gotta be that daggone connector.

We'll keep you posted.
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: Turn signal mystery - 06/05/07 10:39 PM
..." replaced the pigtail over winter"...are the wires backwards and the tail light filament wire is switched with the brake light filament wire?
Posted By: Super400 Re: Turn signal mystery - 06/06/07 09:15 PM
That's the direction I'm going. Hopefully this is the easy answer.
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum