VCCA Home
Posted By: tye WIPER SWITCH - 11/16/19 10:08 PM
This may be pretty ridiculous but where is the wiper switch in 48 Stylemaster!? I see heat and defrost and that’s it! (Not gonna be my last ridiculous question either haha)
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: WIPER SWITCH - 11/16/19 10:17 PM
On top of the instrument panel above the speedometer next to the windshield glass.
Posted By: tye Re: WIPER SWITCH - 11/17/19 12:52 AM
Well that would explain why there is a small metal circle there, almost like a pancake cap. I can't find anything online to order.....anyone know where to get one? (Is it as simple as that or not so much with the vacuum system that I do not fully understand yet)
Posted By: Keith Knox Re: WIPER SWITCH - 11/17/19 03:50 AM
And it is not electric.
Posted By: Tiny Re: WIPER SWITCH - 11/17/19 03:45 PM
Try Vintage Chevy Parts 760-723-5134. He has a supply of unobtaineum. He had a '53 selector lever bushing for my car that no one else had. Not cheap.
Posted By: ScottCrawford Re: WIPER SWITCH - 11/17/19 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by Keith Knox
And it is not electric.
I wonder if someone switched out the motor to electric
Posted By: Keith Knox Re: WIPER SWITCH - 11/18/19 06:31 AM
Didn't think of that. Tye is there vacuum hose running from the intake manifold to the firewall? That would be the wiper motor vacuum hose.
Posted By: tye Re: WIPER SWITCH - 11/18/19 05:09 PM
So there is just the hose coming out of the back and into the firewall. The 'motor' is there, just looks like it is missing the parts to engage it....if that makes sense. Whatever goes from the 'motor' through the tiny hole in dash is missing. I found two "switches" in the glove box. One is shiny plastic and one is ivory'ish plastic.
Posted By: old216 Re: WIPER SWITCH - 11/18/19 08:49 PM
I believe the missing "switch" has a short arm underneath the knob. It is attached to a linkage which moves a vacuum switch on the motor.
Posted By: Mike Buller Re: WIPER SWITCH - 11/18/19 10:18 PM
This is what the switch looks like on my 41.

Attached picture IMG_0174.JPG
Posted By: dens41 Re: WIPER SWITCH - 11/18/19 10:25 PM
The wiper switch on my 47 and 48 that bought this fall the has 3 vacuum ports, one goes to the intake manifold and 2 go to the wiper motor. My 41 was like the one Mike’s picture.
Posted By: ruscar Re: WIPER SWITCH - 11/18/19 10:28 PM
[Linked Image from pic100.picturetrail.com]
This is what a '48 looks like.
Knob
Click on Knob to see the correct knob.
[Linked Image from pic100.picturetrail.com]
Posted By: old216 Re: WIPER SWITCH - 11/19/19 01:44 AM
My apologies, I guess things really advanced from 1938 to 1948. That is interesting because my 1951 truck wiper setup is very similar to my 38 Master.
Posted By: ScottCrawford Re: WIPER SWITCH - 11/19/19 02:32 AM
I guess the best way is to pull the motor and see how it should be activated? An external switch? Two vacuum ports?

Tye?
Posted By: tye Re: WIPER SWITCH - 11/19/19 11:02 PM
Sorry for the delay.....the picture that Mike Butler attached IS IT!!! Those pieces are in the glove box.....will it be hard to figure out where it goes, once I am upside down and turned around under the dash?? HAHAHA Is that all there is or am I still missing a piece? By the way how d o I post a pic??
Posted By: ScottCrawford Re: WIPER SWITCH - 11/19/19 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by tye
Sorry for the delay.....the picture that Mike Butler attached IS IT!!! Those pieces are in the glove box.....will it be hard to figure out where it goes, once I am upside down and turned around under the dash?? HAHAHA Is that all there is or am I still missing a piece? By the way how d o I post a pic??
If it was me, I'd remove the motor (the harder to reach screw should just be a slot...so don't need to remove that screw all the way). Then put the switch in. Inspect the motor to figure out how the switch arm activates the switch on the motor, then put the motor back in.
Next....figure out that the motor needs lubricated/rebuilt.

Lubrication options include introducing ATF into the motor by inserting the motor's vacuum line into ATF while cycling the wiper blades by hand. Alternatively, you can soak the whole thing in ATF for a few days.
I tried both of those and it didn't resolve my problem. Wiperman rebuilt mine and it works like a champ.
Posted By: modiol Re: WIPER SWITCH - 11/19/19 11:39 PM
to post a picture, click the USE FULL EDTOR button on the bottom.

you can use the INSERT IMAGE LINK icon if the picture is on the internet,

or you can use the ATTACHEMTN MANAGER link down below if the picture is on your computer.
Posted By: ScottCrawford Re: WIPER SWITCH - 11/20/19 12:00 AM
Originally Posted by modiol
to post a picture, click the USE FULL EDTOR button on the bottom.

you can use the INSERT IMAGE LINK icon if the picture is on the internet,

or you can use the ATTACHEMTN MANAGER link down below if the picture is on your computer.
And you need to be a recognized vcca member in the forum
Posted By: ruscar Re: WIPER SWITCH - 11/20/19 02:38 AM
Those pieces are in the glove box.
Yes, I suspect that is because it is not the switch for a '42-'48 wiper motor. Now if someone installed a different motor, then maybe.
Posted By: ScottCrawford Re: WIPER SWITCH - 11/20/19 01:49 PM
I think Russ is right.
Here is the parts book. I googled the part number 4132267 and came up with
https://autopartsobsolete.com/1942-...dshield-wiper-switch-nos-gm-4132267.html
The arm looks shorter than the one in Mike's photo above.

Attached picture Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 8.45.16 AM.jpg
Posted By: ruscar Re: WIPER SWITCH - 11/20/19 02:31 PM
Scott, 4132267 is the number for the knob. The control switch is 4131075. That ad in your link is wrong!
https://www.google.com/search?q=413...DqQQ9QEwA3oECAoQDA#imgrc=hQmWZzGu2zD48M:
Posted By: ScottCrawford Re: WIPER SWITCH - 11/20/19 06:38 PM
Thanks for keeping me honest Rus.
Are the two ports on the switch towards the motor for slow/fast?
Posted By: ruscar Re: WIPER SWITCH - 11/20/19 10:08 PM
https://vccachat.org/ubbthreads.php/topics/255408/Re:_Wiper_Motor_(Vacuum)_1948_#Post255408

Might want to read this old post about the '42-'48 wiper motor.
Posted By: tye Re: WIPER SWITCH - 11/22/19 04:15 PM
Ok let me get it out and I’ll get you an update! Thanks again
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum