VCCA Home
Posted By: MoonshineMachine Pertronix Install - 06/08/17 01:03 PM
I know, I know, many of you don't like the Pertronix - this is not another discussion topic about "to use or not to use". I do like them and have had good luck with them in the past.

My issue, is that I'm having difficulty figuring out how to wire it in on my 1941 Chevy (original components, 6V, and 216 in the car). The wiring instructions from Pertronix show where the wires from that unit go (to the coil, red +, black -) but I cant figure out where the wiring from the starter reversing switch goes. I have 3 wires from that unit. My new wiring harness shows that one wire goes to the negative side of the coil, easy enough. The other two wires have me confused. Those two wires originally would have gone to the terminals on the outside of the distributor (one to the breaker and one to the condenser) but now those aren't attached to anything in the housing.

Any suggestions?
Posted By: dens41 Re: Pertronix Install - 06/08/17 11:31 PM
I would think that you need to wire it without the reversing switch. You will have to run a ground wire to the post near the side cover, that's the I have grounded on my 47. Then wire the - side of the coil to the other post. I hope this helps.
Denny
Posted By: MoonshineMachine Re: Pertronix Install - 06/09/17 01:20 PM
I suppose I didn't even really know what the reversing switch did. After your comment, I did some further searches for the reversing switch and think that your solution is dead on. Now that I understand what the switch was designed to do, I don't think I need it wired to anything anymore.

Thank You
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: Pertronix Install - 06/09/17 11:58 PM
If the reversing switch has been removed or disconnected it would be necessary to do the following. The terminal closest to the engine should be grounded to the engine. (the terminal directly accross from the outter terminal) The terminal towards the outaide is the connected to the coil.
Posted By: 41specialdeluxe Re: Pertronix Install - 07/24/17 08:10 PM
iagree

Just remember, Gene is talking about the Distributor here.

Charlie computer

© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum