VCCA Home
Posted By: hardaground Starter rebuilder recommendations ? - 05/09/17 05:29 PM
Anyone here ever use AER ( Advanced Electrical Rebuilders) in Michigan for their starter rebuilding service ? http://www.aerrebuild.com

This shop, which specializes in antique starters/generators, can upgrade to high torque windings, which I am told, will improve performance especially in hot conditions.

My local shop has closed and none nearby seem experienced nor interested in old 6 volt starters.

Thanks !
Posted By: m006840 Re: Starter rebuilder recommendations ? - 05/09/17 06:53 PM
I use Auto Electric Warehouse here in Merrimack N.H. and he does a lot of antique electrical starters and generators. Let me know if you want more info.
Posted By: BearsFan315 Re: Starter rebuilder recommendations ? - 05/09/17 09:29 PM
Have NOT had them do work but talked to Jason and he is a nice guy, they do a lot of electrical Work/ Rebuilds. No one that i know has ever complained about the workmanship or the product they receive !! everyone seems to be happy
Posted By: m006840 Re: Starter rebuilder recommendations ? - 05/09/17 10:02 PM
From their website it appears they do some exotic and nice looking work. If I had a rare and hard to replace item i would consider using them. The shop I use does good quality repair at reasonable prices but it is not show quality. As an example I took them a 714L starter off an engine I purchased and asked to have it checked out as it looked pretty good. An hour later the owner called to say he took it apart, everything looked like new but a shim was missing. He installed a new shim and charged me $25.00.
Posted By: Junkyard Dog Re: Starter rebuilder recommendations ? - 05/10/17 12:17 AM
Just talked to a VCCA member today that had Advanced Electrical Rebuilders restore his generator. He said that they do really nice quality work but are very expensive. He mentioned that it took around 5 months to get his generator back and that the price was around $600.

laugh wink beer2
Posted By: blue38 Re: Starter rebuilder recommendations ? - 05/16/17 01:57 AM

had my 28 starter overhauled at Phx Generator..125.00 out the door.. good job
Posted By: hardaground Re: Starter rebuilder recommendations ? - 05/17/17 06:51 PM
So I ran up to NH, just 2 hours away, with my starter and dropped it off last week with a local shop recommended by VCCA member Steve D.
He did a major overhaul and had it ready in 3 days. Installed it today AND it's working fine.
High torque windings, new original style Delco spring style drive, bushings, brushes, turn armature,insulation, etc, for $195. He replaced the new fangled ratchet style drive that was in there with the above mentioned one. Shop owner says it has better action and meshes more precise.
I know….I know…the electrolock is missing. I have yet to make peace with it. Someday maybe. nanana

Thanks for the help guys.

[Linked Image from i109.photobucket.com]
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum