VCCA Home
Posted By: Jonda1 Won't charge - 02/10/17 04:17 AM
I hooked up a battery charger to my 33 Chevy 5 Window Coupe. Now it won't charge. The charger is supposed to be a 6 and 12 volt charger, but it showed no charging and wrong polarity. So I disconnected it.
Took it for a drive around the block and now it won't charge. With the engine running and reved up the needle rests just to the left of the center on the discharge side. When I turn the lights on it goes to complete discharge.
Does anyone know what I might have damaged in hooking up the charger? I knew I should have disconnected a battery cable before hooking up the charger, but I guess I just got lazy.
Thanks,
Dennis
Posted By: Junkyard Dog Re: Won't charge - 02/10/17 07:23 AM
Sounds like you had the wrong polarity when you hooked up the battery charger. If so, drain the battery and recharge with the correct polarity. Then, re-polarize your generator so that it will have the correct negative ground polarity.

laugh wink beer2
Posted By: dfd37chev Re: Won't charge - 02/11/17 03:00 AM
Junkyard Dog,
I'm not familiar with the '33 Chevy, but I would like to relate this problem...
I had a discharge problem with my '37 which turns out to be the cut-out switch had melted.
I had not charged the system, as noloco6655 had. But it took me a while to figure it out.
Posted By: Jonda1 Re: Won't charge - 02/14/17 08:03 PM
Thanks for the heads up on this problem. I've been busy pulling the steering box and getting it shipped off to get if rebuilt. As soon as I have finished with the steering problems I will get back into my charging problem. Hopefully it will be as easy and inexpensive as these posting indicate it might be. Thanks again.
Dennis
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum