VCCA Home
Posted By: modiol Heater Blower Motor Fan - 02/05/16 05:40 PM
I am trying to rebuild a heater for my 1938 Chevrolet Master. I took most of it apart, but the fan is rusted onto the motor shaft. I removed the set screw and I have tried soaking it with PB Blaster for a couple of days, still no luck. I have tried prying it off with a couple of large screwdrivers, it's not budging. Does anyone have any suggestions to remove the an from the shaft?
Posted By: dens41 Re: Heater Blower Motor Fan - 02/05/16 05:56 PM
Carefully heat with a small torch
Posted By: Chipper Re: Heater Blower Motor Fan - 02/06/16 01:10 AM
I agree on the torch. Happy B'day Denny.
Posted By: XLVIIdriver Re: Heater Blower Motor Fan - 02/06/16 01:35 AM
If the heat doesn't work try soaking with mixture of 50% ATF and 50% lacquer thinner. Tap with small hammer periodically while soaking to create a vibration or jarring between the two stuck parts. I have had great success using this method when other commercial product failed to do the job.
Be sure to completely remove the set screw giving the mixture another place to penetrate.
Good Luck
Posted By: modiol Re: Heater Blower Motor Fan - 02/06/16 05:24 AM
I used my propane torch, the heat worked. Thank you.
Posted By: Junkyard Dog Re: Heater Blower Motor Fan - 02/07/16 07:43 PM
Great! Glad that you were able to get the fan removed from the shaft. I have used the heating method many times before and it has always worked for me as well.

laugh wink beer2
Posted By: modiol Re: Heater Blower Motor Fan - 08/24/16 11:00 PM
I put this project to the side for a while. I took the blower motor in to have it rebuilt. They wanted $125. That's a lot of money for a motor. I see a few of them on ebay, I have already converted the car to 12 volts, and was wondering if anyone has ever used a newer 12 volt motor instead of the original 6 volt motor. If you did, what brand and model number of a motor did you use?
Posted By: Gmcjohnny Re: Heater Blower Motor Fan - 01/20/19 03:04 PM
Hey motion did you ever find a newer style blower motor to work I'm in the process of converting 6 volt to 12 volt now while motor is out
Posted By: modiol Re: Heater Blower Motor Fan - 01/22/19 02:24 AM
I could not find a motor to fit. I got the old motor working, and re used it.
Posted By: wesb Re: Heater Blower Motor Fan - 01/22/19 06:53 PM
I may have a good motor. Send me some photos
Wes
Lilhemiram@yahoo.com
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum