VCCA Home
Posted By: styleline51 6 volt portable jump starter - 03/10/12 03:21 PM
Does anybody out there sell a 6 volt portable jump starter? All I see are 12 volt units.
Would sure beat having to lug around a spare 6 volt battery.

Thanks

Posted By: 41specialdeluxe Re: 6 volt portable jump starter - 03/10/12 04:12 PM
Rick,
I haven't seen a 6-volt one either.

Although hardly ever needed, I generally jump my 41 using a 12-volt JNC/Air (jump starter). I think the consensus is that you won't hurt anything if you turn off the lights and any other juice using accessory before the jump. And, don't grind too long.

My JNC jumper was given to me two years ago and it really holds a charge well and is very reliable. It is heavy and such is one of the ways of determining a good jumper. Beware of those light weight ones, especially ones having all sorts of gadgets attached. Even on mine the only accessory is the air-pump and it doesn't work real well (kind of slow, as expected). The jumper, however, is everything one could ask for.

I recommend the JNC but I'm sure there are other quality ones available, as well, but it is far superior to all the others I've had.
Charlie computer

Posted By: chevy1937 Re: 6 volt portable jump starter - 03/10/12 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by chevdude51
Does anybody out there sell a 6 volt portable jump starter? All I see are 12 volt units.

Thanks
Why would anyone want to carry a spare battery?
Posted By: kevin47 Re: 6 volt portable jump starter - 03/10/12 07:07 PM
...must be some sorta anxiety complex...lol
Posted By: 41specialdeluxe Re: 6 volt portable jump starter - 03/10/12 07:42 PM
For a secondary source owing to the unreliability of the primary. Especially when the primary is usually reliable but has proven not to be 100% so or has aged.

The secondary source may have been temporarily robbed from its role as a primary source for another vehicle or utility with the robber's intent to replace it when the useful period of temporary back-up is over.

The alternative to this situation is to always carry a set of jumper cables (which usually annoys those you ask for assistance), park on a hill, carry a good jump starter (as inquired about) or always park park on a hill (something that isn't always easy to do anywhere except Tennessee or West (BG) Virginia.)

Now, do you see? Good. Glad to help explain. Grin. bike wave
Charlie computer
Posted By: kevin47 Re: 6 volt portable jump starter - 03/10/12 08:58 PM
Dear Charlie , I am now more confused than ever...

Sincerely , Kevin
Posted By: 41specialdeluxe Re: 6 volt portable jump starter - 03/10/12 10:15 PM
Kevin,
I know. I read back over this and I can see why. It made sense at the time. Does anyone know what I was trying to say? Grin. Just more ramblings, I guess. dance
Charlie computer
Posted By: m006840 Re: 6 volt portable jump starter - 03/10/12 11:37 PM
I think I have the jist of what you are saying. In 11 years I have not had to jump start my 32 although last year in West B.G. Virginia I did need help while on tour as it quit on the road. When traveling with a group there is always help. Some even seem to enjoy seeing a broken down vehicle, as long as it's not theirs!
Posted By: styleline51 Re: 6 volt portable jump starter - 03/11/12 12:25 AM
Your point for those who don't understand is exactly that--when your main battery fails. All's well and good when you're in a group, but when you solo on back roads, a little preparation goes a long way. You can ruin your 6v coil, burn out your fuel gage and ammeter jumping a 6v with 12v. You don't take a boat out without a back up battery or motor, and the same goes for a car. Lastly, why would one have starting problems you ask? Well, if you're running a freshly rebuilt later 235 higher comp motor on a 6v system, it takes a little more cranking to turn her over.

Posted By: RichardJ Re: 6 volt portable jump starter - 03/11/12 04:13 PM
There is a heavy duty 6, 12, 24 volt jumper available; heavy duty=heavy and expensive.
Posted By: kevin47 Re: 6 volt portable jump starter - 03/11/12 05:19 PM
I owned a boat for years and it never dawned on me to carry an extra battery...extra beer maybe .
Posted By: JianisNl Re: 6 volt portable jump starter - 03/11/12 07:11 PM
The older the vehicle the more chances you have to get problems and mostly at the most inconvenient times stressed In the past I used to ride an old BMW motorcycle (6V). I never went away without an extra fully charged battery. It was guaranteed if I did not have the spare battery with me It should give me trouble with charging. mad
driving
Jianis
Posted By: kevin47 Re: 6 volt portable jump starter - 03/11/12 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by RichardJ
There is a heavy duty 6, 12, 24 volt jumper available; heavy duty=heavy and expensive.
Interesting...Do you recall who makes it...?
Posted By: Ed_Osier Re: 6 volt portable jump starter - 03/12/12 05:04 AM
I have jump started all 3 three of my 6 volt cars plus others with 12 volt batteries many times and have never hurt my fuel gauge, spark coil or any thing else as long as all lights are turned off, that includes the dome light if it comes on with the door open. I often carry a 12 volt booster just in case, I do it in my boat too but have never had to use it. Being stranded in a boat is far worse than in a car because you can't walk for help!
flush
Posted By: blueyAU Re: 6 volt portable jump starter - 03/17/12 02:32 AM
Being stranded in a boat is far worse than in a car because you can't walk for help!

and you cant apply the brakes either.... Agrin
Posted By: styleline51 Re: 6 volt portable jump starter - 03/17/12 11:17 AM
Thanks to all and "Uncle Ed" for weighing in. Good point on the 12v jump. Apparently only connecting a 12 long enough to turn it over isn't damaging??

RichardJ--if you can tell us where and who makes the heavy duty unit, there seems to be a lot of interest.

Thanks.
Posted By: RichardJ Re: 6 volt portable jump starter - 03/19/12 05:41 AM
Originally Posted by chevdude51
Thanks to all and "Uncle Ed" for weighing in. Good point on the 12v jump. Apparently only connecting a 12 long enough to turn it over isn't damaging??

RichardJ--if you can tell us where and who makes the heavy duty unit, there seems to be a lot of interest. Thanks.

As long as the engine on the 12 volt system is not running while you jump the 6 volt, it shouldn't cause any problems other than any lights that get left on.

I'll make a run out to the refuge in a day or two and check on the brand name and model number; don't get out there much now that I'm retired.
Posted By: RichardJ Re: 6 volt portable jump starter - 03/28/12 12:57 AM
Originally Posted by RichardJ
I'll make a run out to the refuge in a day or two and check on the brand name and model number; don't get out there much now that I'm retired.

I went out to the refuge and found out that my memory had played tricks on me. The jumper is only for 12 and 24 volts. Sorry 'bout that.
Posted By: JAR41 Re: 6 volt portable jump starter - 04/14/12 07:43 PM
Charlie. In the Missouri Ozarks we are quite familiar with "the Hill" starter. In the '50's we Made Do with what we had . A good battery was a luxury if you were lucky enough to have a car. I had a '40 Chevrolet 2-door sedan when I was in high school. Had lots of old cars since then but still love those Chevies. The '40 Chev was what inspired me to restore the '41 Coupe I have today.I restored the '41 in the winter of 1999. Everything works and is original or like original. If you get a chance brag a little on "41 Chevys . We need to stick together. JIM
Posted By: kokeeffe23 Re: 6 volt portable jump starter - 03/09/16 10:15 PM
[quote=styleline51]Does anybody out there sell a 6 volt portable jump starter? All I see are 12 volt units.

Thanks

[/quote]

I run a small electrical R&D company. My company has developed a new 6V jumpstarter with very high cold cranking amps. It is capacitor based and recharges instantly. If anyone here would like me to send a free unit in exchange for user feedback please reply on the thread or send me an email. kokeeffe@maxxstart.com
Posted By: wisebri24 Re: 6 volt portable jump starter - 03/10/16 04:11 AM
When will they go on the market? Retail price? Will it work on all types of 6V batteries? 8V? Email sent.
Thx
Posted By: Paul_Mitchell Re: 6 volt portable jump starter - 03/10/16 04:50 AM
I think this is a great concept and hope the unit will be able to be adapted to be able to use in country that run 230/240 volt power.
I have replied to the email direct inquiring as i would love to think they would be available in New Zealand and Australia
Posted By: dblclh Re: 6 volt portable jump starter - 03/17/16 09:21 PM
rick, i have used my 12v portable jumper for maybe 6 years on the '30 (6v) numerous times. really spins the starter. that's good for overcoming fussy starting in the spring. too much sustained 12v spin might fry the starter though. be careful; maybe 4 or 5 seconds at a time. jim

"the chevy six clatter means nothings the matter."
Posted By: 38chevy Re: 6 volt portable jump starter - 08/19/16 01:08 PM
kokeeffee, that is a very needed product! I have sent you an email. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Posted By: styleline51 Re: 6 volt portable jump starter - 08/19/16 01:44 PM
One more item of concern is your gauges and gas tank sending unit. The starter will work fine on 12 volt all day long, but your gauges and sending unit will burn out on 12 volts.

I tried to adapt a 12 volt jump starter by replacing the sealed glass cell 12 battery inside with a 6 volt. Unfortunately, it takes a lot more current to jump a 6 volt system and the glass cell batteries only are available in 12amp/hour units. My thought was to start a biz selling these modified units but it's back to the drawing board.
Posted By: Phil Lipton Re: 6 volt portable jump starter - 08/19/16 09:05 PM
I have successfully jumped many 6 volt cars, including my own
from 12 volt sources with never a problem. I usually try to
have an assistant to help me in the process. First, I make
sure all lights an accessories are turned off. Next, have your
helper connect the 12 volt source to you battery pos to pos and neg t neg. I then engage the starter and while the engine
is cranking I turn on the ignition. Instruct you assistant to
disconnect the jumper as soon as the engine fires, and there
should be no damage to the 6 volt electrical system. It has
always worked for me! The best solution is to always maintain
the 6 volt system so you don't have to jump it!
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: 6 volt portable jump starter - 08/19/16 09:59 PM
iagree
Posted By: 41specialdeluxe Re: 6 volt portable jump starter - 08/24/16 06:39 PM
"The best solution is to always maintain
the 6 volt system so you don't have to jump it!"

Flip and Gene,

You are masters of the obvious. Are too! auto

I doubt you two ever parked out near the woods with "little Suzy" luv2 and had your pleasure dampened by the constant and nagging thought of "will this old car start when I get ready to take her home. ("Little Suzy not the car. ) Anyway, the thrill of that old sucker a-turning over and starting is better than the finest orgasm you ever experienced. You two really must have lead unadventurous lives. (Read on)

Before you went out on a date you always borrowed Dad's new car rather than drive you own heap. I can see you pulling up to her house like Richie Cunningham on "Happy Days." Of course you could have gone over your old 39 just before each date, checking out all the battery connections and topping off with distilled water; pulling the starter to look for worn brushed, bushings, change a field or two, and cleaning the armature and commutator. dance

Where is the thrill of adventure? I bet you wouldn't even play the radio when out there with the crickets and mosquitos. When "Little Suzy would say "Gene (Flip), I sure would like some music whilst we are just a-sitting here a-waiting to spot deer with your Captain Marvel Special Flashlight." You probably replied "No Suzy, it may drain the car's battery a mite and you know that I am a always cognizant of "never having to jump the battery." Now shut up and move on back over to your side of the car. Mercy, some date you are." Gene, I'll bet you and Flip were first in your class, wore taped up glasses, and had a pocket protector. Double mercy! Agrin

Best,
Charlie computer
Posted By: Rustoholic Re: 6 volt portable jump starter - 08/24/16 07:22 PM
Charlie, you make a number of good points.

Isn't using the hand crank the alternate starting method when the battery is low? Besides, if the car won't start in the woods, you're stuck with Suzy a little longer.

laugh

Cheers, Dean
Posted By: Chipper Re: 6 volt portable jump starter - 08/24/16 08:12 PM
Charlie,
Despite the audacious description I respectfully consider it BS. All you had to do when in the woods with Suzy was park on a hill or downslope. Once rolling pop the clutch in second and it was running. If no hill then you had to teach Suzy how to push. Not a fun experience.
Posted By: chef-chevy Re: 6 volt portable jump starter - 08/24/16 08:14 PM
Well Charlie I can see now why you love the Fleetlines so much....The 1st Chevy Babe magnet....Add some wood and a Fulton... Suzy's friends would be standing in line!!!
Posted By: GMGuyBob Re: 6 volt portable jump starter - 08/25/16 03:31 PM
I would be interested in a 6V jumper as well. Let me know when they are available.
Posted By: 38chevy Re: 6 volt portable jump starter - 09/19/16 10:20 AM
A representative from the MaxxStart company contacted me after I sent them an email. They are doing research to see if the 6volt jumper is a viable product. If you would like to be included in their research, send me your email address and I will forward it to them. I would love to see this product become a reality!
Doug
Posted By: Andys29 Re: 6 volt portable jump starter - 09/19/16 08:41 PM
I just looked at the MAXXSTART site and they show a 6V jump start pack at $400.
Posted By: colingrant Re: 6 volt portable jump starter - 09/20/16 12:59 AM
Originally Posted by 41specialdeluxe
"The best solution is to always maintain
the 6 volt system so you don't have to jump it!"

Flip and Gene,

You are masters of the obvious. Are too! auto

I doubt you two ever parked out near the woods with "little Suzy" luv2 and had your pleasure dampened by the constant and nagging thought of "will this old car start when I get ready to take her home. ("Little Suzy not the car. ) Anyway, the thrill of that old sucker a-turning over and starting is better than the finest orgasm you ever experienced. You two really must have lead unadventurous lives. (Read on)

Before you went out on a date you always borrowed Dad's new car rather than drive you own heap. I can see you pulling up to her house like Richie Cunningham on "Happy Days." Of course you could have gone over your old 39 just before each date, checking out all the battery connections and topping off with distilled water; pulling the starter to look for worn brushed, bushings, change a field or two, and cleaning the armature and commutator. dance

Where is the thrill of adventure? I bet you wouldn't even play the radio when out there with the crickets and mosquitos. When "Little Suzy would say "Gene (Flip), I sure would like some music whilst we are just a-sitting here a-waiting to spot deer with your Captain Marvel Special Flashlight." You probably replied "No Suzy, it may drain the car's battery a mite and you know that I am a always cognizant of "never having to jump the battery." Now shut up and move on back over to your side of the car. Mercy, some date you are." Gene, I'll bet you and Flip were first in your class, wore taped up glasses, and had a pocket protector. Double mercy! Agrin

Best,
Charlie computer
Yes I did park up with Little Suzy in 1964 when I Got my '39 and I always made sure I was parked facing downhill 'cos 2 hours of Elvis etc on the all bells and whistles 6 tube superheterodyne would certainly dispose of the battery charge and her father was someone to be truly feared!
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: 6 volt portable jump starter - 09/20/16 01:27 AM
I don't know why you would want a 6 volt jumper. I have used a 12 volt for years with no problems. If there is a starting problem the 12 volt will spin it over musch faster and it will start much more quickly.
One of our members has a 1947 with a 12 volt system. It still has the 6 volt starter and has been performing well for over 10 years on 12 volts.
Posted By: Ed_Osier Re: 6 volt portable jump starter - 09/20/16 02:29 AM
iagree I have started 6 volt cars with 12 volt jumpers for years with no problems, just make sure the 6 volt lights etc. are turned off.
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum