VCCA Home
Posted By: Daniel_A_Rand Another Inner-Line Filter Question.... - 03/07/24 10:10 PM
Hello,

I am new to the forum being a new VCCA member, and also a new owner to a very fine 1951 Chevrolet Styline Deluxe 2dr 6 passenger.

It is in immaculate original condition with 26,000 original miles on it.

I generally service my own vehicles and want to change the oil & filter.

It has a Inner-Line filter on it, and after doing online searches, I am not clear on exactly which filter and gasket to use in this thing.

Can anyone chime in and clear my head?

Thanks in advance....I'm sure someone out there knows....

Dan-R
Fort Myers, Florida

Attached picture 20240126_134607_resized_1.jpg
Posted By: m006840 Re: Another Inner-Line Filter Question.... - 03/07/24 10:33 PM
An oil filter was an option in 51 and possibly dealer installed. If you have a photo or tell what color it is that will help. Have you removed the old filter? The dimensions will also help.
Posted By: minetto Re: Another Inner-Line Filter Question.... - 03/08/24 12:04 AM
This is the filter that I use in my 50 with an inner line filter. If you’d like I can take a picture of the actual filter housing tomorrow. Hope this helps. Mike

Attached picture IMG_5017.jpeg
Posted By: Mr87Monty Re: Another Inner-Line Filter Question.... - 03/08/24 02:40 PM
The after market filter on my 41 did not state what it was. After draining the oil I took it to NAPA and they matched it to the NAPA Gold 1010 / Wix 51010 in the post above. It was fairly cheep and in stock. Was told it was actually used for allot of different things.

All of the NAPA filters were made by WIX except during the pandemic they had a few made by a German company to keep up with demand. Did not find this out till I opened a box and found a note stating that such.
Posted By: m006840 Re: Another Inner-Line Filter Question.... - 03/08/24 03:11 PM
I think most of the filters for the early Chevys were either AC or Fram . The filter ELEMENTS are very similar EXCEPT for the inner seal diameter one being .500 and the other .531, height and width being the same. It's important to have the correct one for best filtering however being a bypass type filter many consider it's use of low value.
Posted By: Jeff1951 Re: Another Inner-Line Filter Question.... - 03/08/24 06:30 PM
Daniel_A_Rand,
I sent you a Private Message (PM).
Jeff
Posted By: Tiny Re: Another Inner-Line Filter Question.... - 03/08/24 06:55 PM
Daniel, I found you in the database and marked you as a club member. Welcome aboard!
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: Another Inner-Line Filter Question.... - 03/08/24 08:55 PM
At the lage dealership I worked at we nstalled nothing but Innerline oil filtersi 1n 1950 and 1951,
in 1952 the new side motor mounts made it next to impossible to install them.
Posted By: Tiny Re: Another Inner-Line Filter Question.... - 03/08/24 10:17 PM
A friend bought a '50 216 that had one of those on it. Do they have the necessary built in restriction or is restriction not necessary with those?
Posted By: m006840 Re: Another Inner-Line Filter Question.... - 03/09/24 12:24 AM
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachments/2dlrnws-10-jpg.1487276/ Found this from a search. It's a copy of an ad for the Inner-Line filter with replacement elements.
A Wix 51010 seems to be the correct filter, but the gasket that came with it is too small for the cover. I changed the oil & used the 51010 filter, but had to re-use the old gasket. Fortunately it didn't leak. I need to find a part number for the correct gasket.

Thanks for the reply!
A Wix 51010 seems to be the correct filter, but the gasket that came with it is too small for the cover. I changed the oil & used the 51010 filter, but had to re-use the old gasket. Fortunately it didn't leak. I need to find a part number for the correct gasket.

Thanks for the reply!

Thanks for the reply!
Posted By: Stovblt Re: Another Inner-Line Filter Question.... - 03/10/24 05:58 PM
Hi Daniel

Your Wix 51010 is about 3-3/4" wide by 4-3/8" tall with a .553" inner diameter.
Do you have some extra room in the oil canister?

If so...
the filter I buy for my "46 (which has an AC CS-653 canister filter on it) is the Wix 51006.
It measures about 4" wide by about 5" tall and still has the .553" inner diameter.
The ones I'm getting here are coming with 2 gaskets, one being about 4-3/4" outer, and the other about 5-1/8" outer diameter.

Maybe that would work for you?
Posted By: Tiny Re: Another Inner-Line Filter Question.... - 03/10/24 06:56 PM
The 51006 is what I used on my AC filters when I had them mounted.
Posted By: Stovblt Re: Another Inner-Line Filter Question.... - 03/10/24 07:56 PM
Hi Tiny

Do the 51006's you get there come with 2 gaskets like the ones I get here?
Posted By: Tiny Re: Another Inner-Line Filter Question.... - 03/10/24 08:14 PM
Yepper
Hey Stovbit,

I just picked up a Wix 51006, and it did come with two gaskets like you said. I haven't had a chance to pull the Inner Line cover yet, but visually they look like one of them will work.

I'll keep y'all posted with results.

Thank you and everyone who have piped in on this thread!

Dan-R
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum