VCCA Home
Posted By: davedolli Throttle control hook up 216 with W1 carb - 09/05/22 11:31 PM
I have a 39 Master Deluxe business coupe, I need some info on hooking the cable end to the carb or where ever it hooks up. I see where it would come down the side of the carb and the bracket that holds the outside of the cable in place but that is all. I may have an end mounting piece missing.
Thanks, Dave
Posted By: Tiny Re: Throttle control hook up 216 with W1 carb - 09/06/22 12:39 AM
I don't have the picture on this computer. If no one has posted a picture by morning I'll post mine from my other computer. The wire extends down through a hole in the linkage then a wire stop is attached to the wire.
Ok thanks a pic would be great.
Posted By: Tiny Re: Throttle control hook up 216 with W1 carb - 09/06/22 11:58 AM
Here you go.

Attached picture IMG_2268.jpg
Picture doesn't show clearly what you are missing... which is a wire stop.... If you can't find one to buy... you can make one by taking a 3/4" long small bolt (i/4" diameter or less) ...Thread two nuts onto the bolt, leaving a space between them.... drill a hole in the center of the bolt.....in that space, to run your wire through.... then tighten the two nuts towards each other to hold the wire where you want it....
You can get the wire stops at lawnmower repair shops.
Posted By: Tiny Re: Throttle control hook up 216 with W1 carb - 09/06/22 03:42 PM
Wire/cable stop. Just for information. As Gene said, any place that sells mowers/parts will have them for a couple of bucks.
The throtle wire goes thru the hole in the rod. The stop goes below the carb. arm so when the trrotle is pulled out is raises the arm and increases the engine speed,
When he throtle is pushed in rhe linkke works freely and the rod slides up and down on the wire with no friction when the gad pedal is depressed.
Thanks I appreciate the pic. I am missing the part with the hole that goes on the rod, What is it called so I can order the part,
The prior posts answer that. It is a wire/cable stop. A good hardware store or lawn mower repair shop has them.
The rod on my carb does not have a hole to stick the wire through. I am missing a part to connect the throttle wire to the rod.
Here is picture of the setup on a 1941 where the linkage arm on the carburetor is slightly different. Hope this helps. Mike

Attached picture FFC16945-531E-4D8E-BF69-C3DEF2719FC0.jpeg
The Carter W-1 carburetors in 1937 and 1938 use the throttle lever with the hole in a 90 deg. lip as pictured by Tiny. The 1939 and later carburetors use the arm and cable stop as pictured by minetto on the 1941 carburetor. The result is the same as the throttle cable can be used to increase idle speed but does not interfere with throttle operation at higher speeds.
Thanks for the pic Mike, that's finally cleared it up for me. The rod on my car had a piece of broken wire which was stuck through the hole, and I couldn't see it.
Big thanks to all who responded
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum