VCCA Home
Posted By: Fleetboy '47 Starter - 05/23/11 12:40 AM
I'm having trouble with the foot operated starter on my '47 fleetline. It seems like the lever isn't going in far enough to push the button on the starter. Anyone have this type of issue before?
Posted By: tonyw Re: '47 Starter - 05/23/11 11:54 AM
Check for wear in the linkages. There may be an adjustment at the starter and the contacts inside the starter may be burnt down.
Tony
Posted By: old216 Re: '47 Starter - 05/26/11 12:51 PM
If you remove the switch from the top of the starter, you may find that the contacts are burned and worn.
Posted By: Cleon Eck Re: '47 Starter - 05/27/11 12:44 PM
I replaced the switch on the starter of my '42 recently for the same problem. It works great now.
Cleon
Posted By: strgenrebuilder Re: '47 Starter - 05/27/11 01:20 PM
Usually when the switch contacts wear, the contact/post on the starter wears as well. Putting a new switch on will be a quick fix, but it's life will be shortened due to the fact that the field coil post is still wore. I always replace the post when putting on a new switch, so you have all new contact surfaces. Unfortunately, it's not the easiest repair in your garage. It's a fairly involved repair compared to changing out a switch, unless you've done it before and are set up for it. Anyway, just my 2 cents.
Posted By: Fleetboy Re: '47 Starter - 05/30/11 07:26 PM
Those are some great tips, thanks guys!
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum