VCCA Home
How can the tubes be aimed and the dipper height be set in a 36 oil pan without the special Kent-Moore tools?

Someone has suggested (Chevgene?) putting grease in the troughs, turning the engine over, and see how deep the dippers go to set the dipper depth.

I'm finally working on rebuilding the spare engine and now getting to the point to put on the pan.

How crucial is it go re-aim the tubes and re-set the depth? Can one assume that since everthing is standardized, one set at the factory they should be ok?

Also, this oil pan (used) didn't come with the block. But I am installing NOS dippers.

Or, does anyone have the special gauges they would be willing to rent?

Thanks!
I have always tested the aim of the tubes (pipes) by putting water pressure on the main feed pipe and watch where the stream strikes the side of the pan. Use medium water pressure and have the pan as level as possible. I use a garden hose. The most important in my thoughts is the side to side aim. This will also make a more improtant test. That is making sure all the tubes are free and clean.
I have never had the aiming devises and when I was working at the dealership I never saw a mechanic using one.
Hello Gene,

Thanks for the quick reply! Much appreciated. Is the recommended method for checking dipper height using grease in the troughs? It seems though that it would be hard to get all the grease out of dipper!
Thats why I mentioned turning over the engine backwards so the dipper dosen't scoop-up the grease.
Thanks again for that simple solution. I'm not always known for being the brightest bulb...

Did the grease trick earlier today (turning over backwards)--and two of the dippers were not centered in the trough to line up with the tubes. So bent the the dippers to one side a little bit.
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum