VCCA Home
I have my spark plugs out and carburetor off because i am trying to get water out the manifold from three days ago. i got the starter to start cranking again but there was a large spark at my battery when it started to work right again, now now spark. but the flywheel doesnt seem to move as it cranks, can this be because i do not have any of those things on it yet? or is there a different problem, i really dont know if its supose to spin when the carb is off and plugs are out. thank you
flywheel doesnt seem to move as it cranks

With the plugs out the starter will turn the flywheel easier, which will turn the crank, and spin the fan, if connected to the the crank pulley via the belt. The large spark doesn't sound good.

Roger
Oh my this is one jumbled question. Let me try and unravel it. Spark at battery - loose terminal? Flywheel - you you mean crank pulley or fan? If the crank pulley is not turning, then the starter is not engaging. If the fan is not turning, and you say none of the things on it, i suspect you mean accessories or belts, the it wold be safe to say the fan won't turn. But since the fan is typically attached to the water pump, not having a belt on there is not the wisest things to do if you get the engine going again.
belts are on and i hear the starter cranking but nothing is turning, thats why im confused. just the carb and plugs are off
If it has a/c then it should have a fan clutch and if it bad enough then its possable you would not see the fan turn.

As mentioned before, the engine should turn easily with the plugs out and the carb removed. So we have narrowed it down to either a bad btry connection or a bad btry. Again, a jump start will sort this mess out.

We can't overlook the fact that the teeth in either the starter or on the flywheel have taken a hike.

devil Agrin
Or the Bendix spring is broken or bolt fell out of the Bendix or ? Would definitely take starter off to check it out.
You need to call a tow truck or a mechanic that makes house call, it appears that you are working a way above your pay grade on this situation.
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum