VCCA Home
Posted By: rjp heater wiring - 12/03/23 01:19 AM
where is the best place to wire the heater in to / thanks
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: heater wiring - 12/03/23 03:46 AM
The side of the ignition switch that is alive only ,when the switch is in the on position,
Posted By: Rusty 37 Master Re: heater wiring - 12/03/23 04:13 AM
What year and model of vehicle? In some years the ignition switch cannot safely handle the amperage draw of the blower motor.
Posted By: rjp Re: heater wiring - 12/03/23 06:56 PM
It would be a 32 chevy pickup model B
Posted By: Rusty 37 Master Re: heater wiring - 12/03/23 08:07 PM
I would definitely think twice before I connected the fan to the ignition switch on that year vehicle.

If you search Chat you will find other posts about installing a heater in these early 6 cylinder vehicles. If I remember correctly one of them included a scanned image of the original installation instructions.
Posted By: rjp Re: heater wiring - 12/03/23 08:49 PM
OK, thanks Ill see if I can find that
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: heater wiring - 12/03/23 09:25 PM
The heater installation instructions are in the Sept. 1931 Service News and says to attach wire to the eletrolock.
Posted By: m006840 Re: heater wiring - 12/04/23 12:10 AM
Gene is correct as usual. I looked thru my service bulletins and it does in fact state to connect the wire from the switch to the electrolock GAGE terminal.It also states to run a wire from the motor to the screw holding the ammeter case to the instrument panel for the ground.
Posted By: Rusty 37 Master Re: heater wiring - 12/04/23 01:30 AM
Thanks for confirming that wiring. I remember that we have had posts about the potential to overload the switched terminal on these older electro locks.
Posted By: rjp Re: heater wiring - 12/04/23 01:56 AM
Thanks guys, Thanks alot, maybe tomorrow night we will see.
Posted By: Chistech Re: heater wiring - 12/24/23 11:49 PM
I incorporate a 6v relay that closes when the ignition is on. This means that the heater cannot be left on when the ignition is off. Heater motors can be very quiet and easily left on killing the battery. The 6 volt relay can be wired with a fuse directly off the battery if wanted. The relay can handle the amperage much better than any other electrical components in the car.
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum