VCCA Home
Posted By: SteveEC 31 Brake Questions - 01/22/18 03:39 AM
Hi all,

I pulled the front hubs to take a look at the brakes (no puller yet to get into the rear) and found the shoes are down to the rivets in some areas. The leading and trailing edges of the larger shoe showed less wear than the mid portion. I assume wear to the rivets indicates need for replacement, but is the uneven wear common?

Second question, when pulling the bearing covers (not sure that’s the correct term) to get at the castle nut, these were packed with grease. To me his seemed odd, since the grease is on the opposite side of the nut and retaining washer from the bearings, but maybe there is a reason?

Last, while up on the jacks, I noticed the left rear axle can be slid in and out about 1/8 inch. There is no similar play in the right rear. What are the potential culprits?

Thanks!
Steve

Posted By: Chipper Re: 31 Brake Questions - 01/22/18 03:44 PM
The brake shoes may not exactly fit the drums. That will result in uneven wear on the linings. The wear pattern seen is common.

Many people feel that packing extra grease near the bearing will provide more lubrication to the bearing. It is a waste of grease and effort.

The rear axle bearings are retained on the axle by a "nut" or retainer. It threads onto the axle to keep the bearing against a stop. It is held in place by by a metal ring with locking tabs. The axle bearing is held in place in the housing with a plate that also holds the outer seal. If either "retainer" is loose the axle will move. If the bearing is worn it will also allow some movement.
Posted By: SteveEC Re: 31 Brake Questions - 01/22/18 10:05 PM
Thanks Chipper!

That gives me some areas to look when I pull the rear drums. Any wear down to the rivets is an indicator that the shoes are due to be replaced, correct? I don't have much experience with riveted shoes, vs bonded.
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum