VCCA Home
Posted By: Jump88 Cleaning old brake shoes - 06/28/17 12:42 PM
I've finally gotten my 1930 3 window running. The brake shoes still have a lot of life in them, but there covered or encased in a heavy coating of petrified grease and oil. Is there a solvent or technique to remove this.
r/s Bob
Posted By: BearsFan315 Re: Cleaning old brake shoes - 06/28/17 12:46 PM
Hmmm, if they are saturated with grease and oil, i would replace them to be safe !!
Posted By: Junkyard Dog Re: Cleaning old brake shoes - 06/28/17 01:34 PM
iagree

laugh wink beer2
Posted By: m006840 Re: Cleaning old brake shoes - 06/28/17 04:09 PM
Even if you use brake clean fluid it only cleans the outer surface. As soon as you use your brake the heat created will cause the saturated grease to loosen and come to the surface. Replacing the lining is the only safe alternative.
Posted By: dens41 Re: Cleaning old brake shoes - 06/28/17 04:16 PM
You can try heating the shoes to bring the grease out but new shoes would be best.
Posted By: Chev Nut Re: Cleaning old brake shoes - 06/28/17 04:30 PM
There is no way to get all the grease out of the linings...Replace thm for sure.
Posted By: 1932Confederate Re: Cleaning old brake shoes - 06/28/17 04:50 PM
Yep...New...

Posted By: Jump88 Re: Cleaning old brake shoes - 06/28/17 08:27 PM
Thanks all, I'll go with new brakes. Thanks for the advice.
Posted By: Bill Masters Re: Cleaning old brake shoes - 06/30/17 02:45 AM
Jump88, while you are installing new brake shoes, make sure you also install new grease seals.
Posted By: blue38 Re: Cleaning old brake shoes - 06/30/17 03:38 AM

The shoes will continue to bleed grease..New seals or it starts allll over again.
Posted By: wannchev Re: Cleaning old brake shoes - 07/01/17 06:33 PM
The only solvent for removing oil soaked materials is Perchlorythene ( dry cleaning fluid). Some electrical cleaners contain this solvent.You can only tell by the smell. Dont know how eco friendly this process is but i warm some solvent on the electric stove(not gas)until it boils. The vapor does the work and dissolves the grease and oil.By the time the parts have cooled the oil is gone.First wait for the wife to leave and when you are finished open all the windows in the kitchen.
Posted By: Bare_Feet Re: Cleaning old brake shoes - 07/02/17 12:13 AM
Originally Posted by wannchev
The only solvent for removing oil soaked materials is Perchlorythene ( dry cleaning fluid). Some electrical cleaners contain this solvent.You can only tell by the smell. Dont know how eco friendly this process is but i warm some solvent on the electric stove(not gas)until it boils. The vapor does the work and dissolves the grease and oil.By the time the parts have cooled the oil is gone.First wait for the wife to leave and when you are finished open all the windows in the kitchen.
Be careful heating dry cleaning fluid. Heat can convert it to phosgene gas (highly toxic).
Posted By: BobB Re: Cleaning old brake shoes - 07/02/17 11:04 PM
I agree heating with propane torch works.
Posted By: m006840 Re: Cleaning old brake shoes - 07/02/17 11:57 PM
Heating will cause the oil to flow but there is no way to remove it all and just a little oil can cause a BIG problem. I sold brake shoes and linings for big rigs and if there was a way to get ALL the oil out and still maintain the integrity and performance of the lining truckers would have done so.
© Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum