Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Thread Like Summary
Clement, Nick_in_Manitou
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#489953 02/26/2024 11:42 PM
by Nick_in_Manitou
Nick_in_Manitou
I picked up a 1940 Model that was built in December of 1939. (This is what I figured out from the ID tag in the right side of the cowl. I can't be sure that the ID tag is original to the vehicle, but I am assuming it is.)
The truck has been a project for someone before me and a lot of the parts look new or, at least, in very good shape. It is mostly held together at the moment by minimal hardware to make it look like a truck.
The fellow I bought it from took it in part trade for a mid-70's Ford he had redone. He didn't do anything to it before passing it on to me. He was told that the truck had a "new engine and transmission" and the engine has very clean grey paint. I take that to mean that at least the engine has been redone and the transmission probably works.
I found a casting number on the engine that is 3835911 and my impression is that means that it is a 1954-55(?) engine of some sort. I attached a photo of some numbers on the left side of the transmission in the hope that someone will tell me what it is!
Actually my list of questions is way too long!
>>>I guess one of the first things I should ask is which manual(s) I should locate. I will need to rewire the truck, attach the cab to the frame correctly, redo the wood bottom of the bed and figure out the supporting parts for the bed to frame connection. Which manuals have people been most successful with? <<<
I received 2 bumpers and at least one bracket, but I don't know if they are correct for this truck.
Where to start and where to ask all my questions??
I am attaching a few photos of the truck as it arrived in my driveway last week.
Any assistance is appreciated.
I am located in Taos, New Mexico about an hour and 3/4 of an hour north of Santa Fe.
Thanks,
Nick
Attached Images
Liked Replies
by 35Mike
35Mike
Nick, Sorry to leave you hanging for so long. You have a lot of questions to address. The front fender brackets are group number 8.141. I can send pictures so you know what to look for. They fit '39 and '40 1/2, and 3/4 ton trucks.
I have a '39 1/2 ton (JC) pickup. It has been apart for many years.
Your bed was spaced off the frame with wooden blocks. I think there should be more of the cross channels that support the floor planks.
I will look into your floorboard situation. I just checked my 1949 catalog and there is no mention of the '39/'40 truck there.
Pleas feel free to email me at my direct address below and we can exchange phone numbers. I will be glad to help you.
Oh...dash knobs are plastic. You have quite a job ahead of you on that masking removal.

Mike
1 member likes this
by kaygee
kaygee
To add on to Mike's response, if you have trouble getting the masking tape off, remove as much as you can, then apply Goo-Gone to the gummy remainder and it'll come right off, with no damage to underlying paint. Any hardware store sells Goo-Gone.
1 member likes this
by Stovblt
Stovblt
Hi Nick

Mike is of course right about the knobs being plastic.

I believe they are, more specifically, bakelite.

They are not supposed to be painted (if they are).

And I think they are supposed to be what's commonly called "rose tan" in color.

I would remove all the tape you can, and then start with a cloth soaked in alcohol.

Alcohol shouldn't hurt the bakelite, but it CAN be very hard on paint, so just be aware of that.

Hope that helps.
1 member likes this
by 35Mike
35Mike
Nick,
Be careful about buying fender brackets. Make sure they are for the small trucks. eBay vendors often don't know or care about details on part applications.Mike
1 member likes this
by tonyw
tonyw
If it ws my truck I would cut the battery and master cylinder access you have marked out and leave that board there, I have done the same with my 38 but my trans sits up through the board further. How many are going to see what is there and know it isnt factory???
Tony
1 member likes this
by Lou
Lou
. Hi Nick, The 37 - 54 engines are same length. The 1955 - 63 six cylinder engines have a longer water pump.
An adapter is available to attach the short pump which is preferable to buying a shortened 55+ pump. You appear to have a 3 speed trans that's 12 inches long. You must use the correct 3 or 4 speed trans to attach the clutch and brake pedals. 1937 - 39 thans had spur cut low gear. 1940 - 46 had helical low gear. All trucks and commercial and trucks made 1939 and before had Spiral bevel differential gears. 1940 and newer have hypoid gears. 1940 and older trucks (NOT light commercial) had torque tube rear end. 1941 and later trucks had hotchkiss. You have a light commercial open express commonly called a pickup truck which is confusing. If you find a torque tube truck rear end with hypoid gears and a torque tube, it's a 1940. The 1940 trucks also used roller bearings in the U-joints.
The 3 speed used in taxi, police, One ton and Double duty used bearings in the counter shaft. the half tom commercial had bushings. If you have a 1940 trans in your truck with bushings, you can put the counter shaft from a 1954 or newer with bearing in the case.
Sorry to go into so much detail. Lou .
. .
1 member likes this

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.