Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Thread Like Summary
andsome07
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by PaulAmoroso
PaulAmoroso
Hi everyone, I have a 1929 Chevrolet Imperial Sedan, 194 c.i., 6-cylinder, 3 speed. This car is being re-assembled after frame was powder coated and remainder of parts cleaned, coated, painted as necessary. I’m having problems getting the clutch to function - clutch doesn’t move. When all 3 components are assembled the throw-out bearing sleeve sticks out only 5/16" from the pressure plate. Here are the part numbers and pictures of what I have. Any help getting clutch operational or knowledge regarding part compatibility would be greatly appreciated.

Flywheel:
Part Number 835767
Date Code E 27 9
9 3/16" Machined, Recessed Surface

Clutch Disc:
Aftermarket
9" Diameter

Pressure Plate:
Part number 835821
10" Surface
Attached Images
Liked Replies
by marxparts
marxparts
Hi Paul
I went through this with a customer about month ago. What it looks like to me from the pictures you posted, you have a 1930-31 Chevy pressure plate and cover assembly made for the 9 inch car clutch and 10 inch truck clutch. The 1929-31 used the same clutch pressure plate cover but the pressure plate themselves were different for 1929 and 30-31. The original flywheel for a 1929 only used a 9 inch clutch for both the car and truck. This is why the flywheel has a stepped surface in it. What is happening I believe is that since the flywheel has been resurfaced only in the 9 inch area of the flywheel and if the mounting surface was ground off where the pressure plate mounts the same distance as the face of the flywheel, the clutch disc is piloted deeper in the flywheel and now the pressure plate which is 10 inches is bottoming out on the step in the flywheel. This would move the pressure plate farther back into the cover when bolted to the flywheel causing the ends of the fingers to go down farther toward the flywheel and that is why you don't have much for travel left on the throw bearing sleeve and probably why there were shim washers between the pressure plate cover mounting and the flywheel when you took it apart. I think if you grind or machine the step out of the flywheel and make it totally flat faced, that will solve your problem. The other alternative is get a different flywheel to match the pressure plate assembly you have or find the correct pressure plate assembly with 9 inch face instead of the 10 inch face to match your flywheel. Attached is a picture of a 1928 Chevy pressure showing the face which is similar to the 1929 one which is only 9 inches in diameter on the machined area.
Attached Images
1 member likes this

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.