Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Thread Like Summary
1958belairjoe
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by 1958belairjoe
1958belairjoe
bought 1958 belair a few months ago , front wheel bearings are not ball bearings , took out

LM 67848

LM 1.949 bower

I am told they are no longer available ????? Thanks for any info on this , looks like original hub and front drum on here
Liked Replies
by Rusty 37 Master
Rusty 37 Master
In 1958 tapered bearings were an option for police cars and taxis (if i remember correctly). Likewise, converting from ball bearings to tapered bearings is a simple project. The previous owner might have done that.

Either way, you can take those cups and cones to any bearing supply house. They will match them to replacement bearings. Also, Rock Auto lists quite a few front tapered roller bearings for 1958 Chevy's.

In the ever changing world of companies Bower became part of BCA (Bearing Company of America). I assume that by now that group has been sold/absorbed/integrated. You will still see brand names like Timken, BCA, SFK, and National. You just don't know who really owns what.
1 member likes this
by Chev Nut
Chev Nut
The 1958 roller bearing option was for rear axle bearings.

The fronts for a 1958 i have never heard of but like with either balll or roller style with correct luication and adjustment either will last for many miles.
1 member likes this

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.