Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Thread Like Summary
Pitcrew
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Pitcrew
Pitcrew
I have recently had a freeze plug leaking on the rear of the block on my 216 and have decided to remove transmission, clutch, flywheel and bell housing, but I’m struggling to get the gearbox out. With what limited knowledge I have, I’ve managed to push the UJ cover back as far as it would go and removed the UJ completely from the rear of the box output shaft. Removed all the retaining bolts and dropped the emergency brake support shaft. I’m at a loss of what to do now, as I don’t have a repair manual. The prop shaft does not drop out of the way to give any room to pull gearbox back? Your experience would be a God send, or any video evidence of anyone performing this task. Thanks in advance here in the UK trying to keep a great car on the road.
Attached Images
Liked Replies
by modiol
modiol
you can view the shop manual online here

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1938/index.html
1 member likes this
by tonyw
tonyw
If you use a used flywheel have it surfaced or you will have more trouble later.
Tony
1 member likes this

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.