Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Thread Like Summary
Bare_Feet
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#477189 12/31/2022 1:36 AM
by Bare_Feet
Bare_Feet
I have isolated a weak spark problem to be the coil by hot-wiring directly from the battery to the coil and then to the points with a condenser to ground. The coil lasted 250 miles before the spark became too weak to start the engine. The ohms measured 1 ohm primary and 9k secondary, however, the amperage draw according to the dash meter was -8 amps and the repair manual says if it draws more than -3 amps to replace the coil. I ordered a new one and it also measured 1 ohm and about 7k ohms and the ammeter indicated -6 amps the spark was great, nearly one inch long so I put the system together and planned to start it up. Then it occurred to me that I hadn't checked the spark at the points before putting the distributor cap on, so I checked the points by opening them and found the spark was not that hot. I went back to the hot wire system that had given me the hot spark and now it was very small and weak, and the ammeter indicated -9amps. I believe the new coil is now shot also. My question is what brand of coil do you use or recommend? I did buy from one of our suppliers. I am considering ordering a Model A coil, however, I don't know if it would fit in my bracket.
Also, to be sure there was not another drain on the system I checked the ammeter with the coil disconnected and the ammeter did not move.
Liked Replies
#477190 Dec 31st a 02:14 AM
by Chipper
Chipper
I have used recently manufactured 6V coils available from O'reilly Auto Parts with only occasional overheating problems. They are not expensive and if they don't work you can get another.

I have documented my overheating problems several times. It only happens with lugging up a grade in the summer. A dose of water on the coil solves the problem. It is avoided by downshifting.
1 member likes this
#477198 Dec 31st a 01:31 PM
by BearsFan315
BearsFan315
I got my coil from O-reilly's & Advance Auto it was BWD E5 paid around $20 for them. have the same coil in my 1929 and 1930, and recently put one in my friends 1931. and i even bought a spare, granted not all at the same time.

if you keep killing coils that quick i would be looking at other things that could be causing it.

forgot to add: both stores have a limited lifetime warranty on the coils :)
1 member likes this
#478949 Feb 16th a 07:58 PM
by Rusty 37 Master
Rusty 37 Master
I also will see some black condensation on a cold start-up. It is due to the rich mixture when you use the choke.

I learned that I could not park my car in the shop with the front pointing out. After I cleaned the front of my toolboxes a few times!
1 member likes this
#478939 Feb 16th a 10:50 AM
by Dave39MD
Dave39MD
All my cars, when first started, will leave black condensation on the garage floor. It goes away quickly as the vehicle warms up and does not repeat through the day.

Dave
1 member likes this
#478932 Feb 16th a 03:52 AM
by Rusty 37 Master
Rusty 37 Master
I expect it will take some long drives at higher speeds to clean out the pipes and muffler.
1 member likes this
#478886 Feb 15th a 04:31 AM
by Stovblt
Stovblt
Is the carbon on the plugs dry and sooty?
Or is it a little oily?
1 member likes this

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.