Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Thread Like Summary
Ed_Osier
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#473805 09/02/2022 11:30 AM
by KMoon
KMoon
Hey Guys,

I am chasing oil leaks on my 29. In my short time as a 29 owner, I am starting to appreciate the wisdom that to stop a 29 from leaking oil, drain all the oil out.

Before taking things apart, I would really appreciate your input. It really looks like I have oil leaking from where the torque tube enters the differential housing. There are some set screws and lock nuts on the differential that appear to hold the torque tube in the differential housing.

My questions are:
1. How is the torque tube secured in/to the differential housing?
2. Is there a seal on the differential end of the torque tube?

Thanks,
Kerry
Liked Replies
#473820 Sep 2nd a 09:23 PM
by BearsFan315
BearsFan315
lol, i was told long ago that if these old cars are not leaking/dripping then time to add oil :)

no gushers but a drop here and there for me.

also make sure the levels are correct and NOT overfull. overfill trans, leaks into the u-joint then down the tube to rear end then down the shafts out the ends onto brakes and all :!

not really many seals on these old cars
1 member likes this
#475024 Oct 11th a 01:29 AM
by KMoon
KMoon
WooHoo. The steering box rebuild took about 75% of the slack out of my steering. Yay, It no longer heads for the ditch when I hit dips in the road. I now feel safely in control running 50. I think a drag link rebuild kit will make it even better, but I'm not sure I'll be pushing her much faster for her own good.

I live in a rural area with 55-60 MPH speed limit roads to get anywhere. Some roads do have big shoulders, so I can get out of the way when folks stack up behind me. Oh well, i'm still way cooler than they are, rolling in the 29.
1 member likes this

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.