Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Thread Like Summary
jtroberts64
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by jtroberts64
jtroberts64
I have a '25 Superior K that has a '28 engine in it. The driveshaft was disconnected when I purchased the car about 5 years ago. I'm trying to get it reconnected but I'm not having any luck. So I have a few questions.

Will the original drive shaft connect to the transmission with the '28 engine attached without pulling the engine forward? I've been told that it should but I'm having no luck doing it.

Should the drive shaft be disconnected on the rear end side first? If so, how do you disconnect it?

I know the "bell" will slide back, but when I slide it back as far as it will go I'm still short of enough space to reconnect.

I've attached some pics of my dilemma. I have no knowledge at all with any of this, so anything is a help at this point.
Attached Images
Liked Replies
by Lou
Lou
. Remove the 4 bolts and separate the U-joint. First, Place some bailing wire behind the portion of U-joint attached to the trans to hold it in place. Slide the rear half of the U-joint yoke on the propeller shaft. Align with front half of U-joint. Bolt U-joint together. Remove bailing wire. Slide bell back in trans and bolt in place. If you forgot the Bell gasket, split it at top and use gasket cement.
Good luck, Lou .
1 member likes this
by m006840
m006840
Without the tool for the ujoint I have found it easier and quicker on my 32 to disconnect the brake linkage and shocks and springs and slide the rear back. Then align the driveshaft and slide the rear back in place and reconnect the brake and spring/shock hardware. Whatever method you choose I suggest you first clean up the ball .
1 member likes this

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.