Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Thread Like Summary
CadillacMatt
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by CadillacMatt
CadillacMatt
Hello all - a few months back, I noted gasoline leaking from my Carter W1 carburetor in my 1946 Chevy Fleetmaster. I learned a good bit of information and tips about causes of gasoline leaks from the forum here, but I finally found the cause. The gasoline is leaking from a copper plug in the bowl of the carburetor.

Has anyone else had a leak from one of these copper plugs? What is the best way to correct this?

Thank you, Matt
Attached Images
Liked Replies
by jay32249
jay32249
Hi Matt,well,I have never had to repair your exact problem,but I did have a fuel leak in an old Iron Horse tractor fuel system.Grant it,it was diesel fuel but I mixed up some JB Weld and,after cleaning the surface around the crack in the metal with Brake Clean,I worked the JB into the crack,wiped off the excess and that was the end of the leak. It is gray in color and you cannot even see it in the crack. It is on year 7 and still holding tough. Maybe not for the perfectionist,but got the job done fast and easy.....Best of luck Matt..
1 member likes this

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.