Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Solan Offline OP
ChatMaster - 2,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 2,000
The gear box of my 1916 is working fine except for going out of grip when climbing hills in 2nd gears. To avoid that I need to hold the gear shifter from changing position and a possible break down thereafter.
Would the gearboxes to 490 passenger cars be the same size/construction from late 1915 to 1922? I would think so, but do not know for sure. Would it be possible to make the part(s) in trouble instead of changing the whole unit? Do I have to remove the box anyway to mend it?

Thanks for any help. I have some pictures of a spare one which may be used, and the one in my car to show, to send in a PM.

parking

Solan G, # 32797

Take advantage in your hobby by being member of VCCA!

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Many of the 4 cylinder gearbox gears will fit into your case. Up to 1923 , all should fit into your 1916 case . The top selector mechanism is different.
1924 onwards the clutch Gear (input gear) is different as the clutch changed from the cone clutch to the disc clutch and pressure plate design.

The gears are probably easier to find in a second had gearbox than NOS / NORS gears. Failing that, the gears can be copied by a competent gear cutting firm as they are all straight cut.

Yes remove the gearbox.You will have to disassemble the gearbox and inspect all the gears for worn teeth, and then replace them or have them copied.

JACK
Solan Offline OP
ChatMaster - 2,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 2,000
Thanks for the comments. I have found a complete box from 1918 to be shipped in the autumn. In the meantime I will drive on carefully.

Another question: If I want to replace my 1916 engine with a younger 490 engine having water pump (and outside oil pump) would the size and motor mounts of engine be the same? Would the drive line be the same measurement?

carbana

Solan G, # 32797

Take advantage in your hobby by being member of VCCA!

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
JACK Is correct that you should be able to have new gears fabricated, I have even read of an obscure make trans gear spline center placed in new gears. It is just a bit of machine work & welding by someone capable.

Last edited by J Franklin; 07/23/17 12:16 AM.

J Franklin
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
I forgot to mention that unwanted coming out of gear is most often caused by worn bearing surfaces allowing wobble in the gear-set.

J Franklin

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.