Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#402814 01/30/18 04:18 PM
ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
So who would like to see the progress on my model D-4 wood? I'll post some pictures tonight for review!

32 Confederate
Bruce S. DeFord
VCCA Judging Committee Chair

The Great American Value for 1932
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
Here are some pictures of the 1918 model D-4's wood getting done. The first picture is from last October when I was taking it down to California to have the wood started.

[Linked Image from vccachat.org]

Last edited by Ruben_Rocha; 08/06/18 03:58 PM.

32 Confederate
Bruce S. DeFord

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Looks great! I'm always amazed at the patience it must take to do this kind of work. I can work with wood and work with cars but to combine them AT THE SAME TIME takes a lot more patience than I have.

1938 Canadian Pontiac Business Coupe (aka a 1938 Chevy Coupe with Pontiac shaped front sheet metal - almost all Chevy!)
1975 4-speed L82 Vette
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I can appreciate the work that went into the wood. Great looking job. As one that has re-wooded several old Chevrolet bodies it takes special people to do it right. Fitting body panels to the wood or the wood to body panels and then having it all look like it should when assembled is not for everyone.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Chipper #402893 01/31/18 08:56 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hey Bruce ,

Been there done that on my D5 and I can tell you this is not an easy job. I had Tom Meleo and Ken Kaufmann help me out with measurements photos and answering lots of questions for me. Spent lots of time under Tom's D5 getting information then combining this with a huge amount of time repairing panels and then doing the timber certainly makes a mess in the shed.
Anyway you and I are both getting very close now with the Model D's hopefully we can get them finished on their 100th birthday.

I am in the process of making the seat springs for the front and rear seats at the moment before it gets all pulled down for final paint and assembly. Looks like you are not to far away from this point either.

I remember working with Adrie when he first purchased the remains and how we encouraged each other thru the stages of our restorations on our Model D's. It appears that now that you have taken over Ardies Model D that you and I are restoring the last two restoreable Model D V8s in captivity. There are few remains left in the wild.

Regards
Dave

ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
Hey Dave!

So very true! An Allen is doing a great job on the wood!

So what you don't know is, the Honeymoon are is in the process of being restored right now too! I've been working with the guy finding some parts that he needs for it.

Take care and hope all is well with you!

Bruce

32 Confederate
Bruce S. DeFord

ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
Hi Guys, It's been a while since I have posted some pictures of the Model D progress. I just revived these pictures from the friend that is working on the wood. Soon I will be headed down to California to pick up the Model D and bring it home! I'm still looking for 2 major items on the Model D, the Radiator Cap and Dash light socket. Please let me know if anyone can help with these two items.

Happy New Year!
Thank you,
Bruce

32 Confederate
Bruce S. DeFord

CHC Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Bruce, how is the progress going on the Model D?

Chuck

CHC #428561 07/18/19 08:44 AM
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Originally Posted by CHC
Bruce, how is the progress going on the Model D?

Chuck
I'm curious as well.

ChatMaster - 1,500
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,500
Hi Guys!

Thanks for checking in. It's been a while since I've had time to check the chat page. Been really busy with work the last few months.

I have not really worked much on the Model D, mostly been looking for parts. I'm still looking for a Dash Lamp Socket which is very special to the Model D and other Chevrolet's from 1916 to about 1920ish. I'm also looking for the correct radiator cap for the model D. I have found the correct motometer for it, as the model D was the only Chevrolet to ever have a motometer from the factory.

I'm getting ready to start putting the engine back together for the V8, or figure out what is left to do on it.

What I have been working heavy on, or as much as I can is my 32 Phaeton. I now have my engine all together and just need to paint it. Also working on fitting the fenders so I can start painting the body soon.

I'll try to post some pictures of the Phaeton soon.

Bruce

32 Confederate
Bruce S. DeFord

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
If I knew what the parts looked like you are looking for? I visit a number of auto flea markets during the year and do see odd stuff. Recently picked up a windshield frame and rear window frame for my 29 Cabriolet. You never know what will turn up.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.