Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
...just another "old Saying".....

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
iMack,
Wasn't it you that brought up the racing stock car idea? Ken Kaufmann's articles about racing are terrific. I thought something similar about modern era Chevy racing would also be cool.
I didn't say anything about the G&D running ads for "modified" Chevys. I was saying they could run some of those Chevy muscle car ads from the 60's and 70's. Also the ads, that again you mentioned, showing happy kids doing happy things with Chevys.
I guess ya can change the name, but the song remains the same...

Chat Group Chapter Member
Current rides;
1968 Camaro rs/SS 350 4spd
2000 Blazer LT
2005 Malibu Maxx
2007 Acura TDX
Last total restoration;
1932 Sport Coupe
RGwiz #99844 04/23/07 09:39 AM
ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
If we do not recognize modified Chevrolets why did we have a picture of a hand made Chevrolet on the cover of the G & D with an article on how the man built it? I admire the man's work but it is modified.

See you Touring the Back Roads

Joined VCCA June 1, 1961
Back Roads #99856 04/23/07 11:38 AM
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
I guess the Editor can use some discretionary editing, I just remember the instructions about sending information for publishing i read in a G&D some time ago.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Those in favor of keeping the name

"Vintage Chevrolet Club of America"

have convinced me it should not be changed.

cordman
cordman #99894 04/24/07 02:50 AM
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
When you stop and think about it, that does seem like a good idea. Afterall, I suppose most folks would look for a "Chevrolet" club under "V" in the phone book or any other listing. We better hope so....

Bill.

42bill #99896 04/24/07 05:53 AM
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
I don't know if someone sits down and looks for a club to join in a phone book. I would think that that information comes mostly by word of mouth, the internet, or by picking up a flyer at a show. I'm not too concerned about "C" vs. "V" listings.

The name is what it is and I think it's important to carry on that mark. Westminster, "W", is the high mark and authority for dog breeds. VCCA should be known as the high mark and authority for Preservation and Restoration of Chevrolets.
That should be our goal. Make it a household, or at least show field word.

There is a small opening here where by we may just fit. I think it may be the youth market and the "mid-life crisis" market. A guy I know needs to do something together with his son. Another 50 something I know just bought a sports car for himself. Within two weeks he has already joined the Alfa Romeo club.
It's out there, we just need to make ourselves more visible and more receptive.

Chat Group Chapter Member
Current rides;
1968 Camaro rs/SS 350 4spd
2000 Blazer LT
2005 Malibu Maxx
2007 Acura TDX
Last total restoration;
1932 Sport Coupe
RGwiz #99898 04/24/07 07:44 AM
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
I agree with RGwiz. Let's assume most people interested in joining a Chevy club might use the internet rather than a phone book. I searched for "chevrolet club" on Google, Dogpile and Yahoo. On the first 2 the VCCA was at the top of the list, and on Yahoo it was number 10 but still on the first page of listings. Based on this the "V" will not put us at any alphabetical disadvantage.
Recently at my church we were asked how it was we came to attend or join that particular church, and the overwhelming answer was "because we were invited by someone". There are plenty of opportunities such as meets, shows and cruises where interested people might want to ask about a Chevrolet club. I suggest all of us carry recent copies of G&D and application forms with us whenever we go out with our vehicles and help spread the word. Seems to me all we need to do is to reach out to others and invite them to a meeting, show or tour to see what we're all about!

Coach

RGwiz #99899 04/24/07 07:54 AM
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Guys, I like our name also but I feel we need to be realistic. Preserving the name is only for current members, this should be done with getting potential new members in mind. It seems like an easier fix than hitting the streets and getting the word out, which without an organized plan I really don't see much of a correction, because we have been doing it this way for years and growth remained static. RG good point with the Alfa Romeo Club, but remember there is only one Alfa Romeo Club, if there was several and one of them was the Vintage Alfa Romeo Club, I think the second club would feel the effect. Anyone looking for a Chevrolet Club is looking under the letter "C" it is the way we were told to do things way back elementary school. If you look under "C" now you will find all of the marquee clubs which will satisfy the needs of the majority of current Chevrolet owners. While it is true that the 54 down owner might have to keep looking for an organization to satisfy their needs, everyone else has found a home.

Hey Coach, see you on Sunday
John Mahoney

Last edited by John 348/340HP; 04/24/07 07:56 AM.

John

1954 Belair Sport Coupe
1960 2 door Impala Hardtop 348/340HP 4spd
1962 2 door Impala Hardtop 409/409 4spd
1962 2 Door Biscayne Sedan 327/250 Auto
1977 Monza Mirage 305 4 Speed
1988 Celebrity Wagon
2018 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Diesel
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Hey John, I'm looking forward to seeing you at Carter! The weather looks promising and we should fill up the available parking spaces once again. Keep your fingers crossed!

Coach

Back Roads #99908 04/24/07 11:21 AM
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
I don't often post an opinion here but thought I might be able to add something of relevence this time. My interests go beyond antique Chevrolets. If I'm looking for an antique radio, as an example, of a specific brand I will first do a search using that brand name, followed by antique xxxx, vintage xxxx, old xxxx, etc. In that searching I will generally find forums and clubs.

When I first heard of the VCCA it was through a friend back about 1970. When I wanted to find it again a few years ago I simply searched for Vintage Chevrolet Club of America. I found it right away.

Bottom line, I doubt a name change would hurt us very much as far as attracting new members goes but it may be a deterent for some, such as myself, who have not remained active and were unaware of any name change. I would also probably not have joined had I thought the clubs main interests were other than antique Chevrolets. It might be a help however for those who are not interested in pre-war cars.

Bill
rbl2 #99909 04/24/07 11:58 AM
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
We realize that our heritage is connected to the name VCCA and everyone in the hobby should understand by now what we present as an image. Maybe we do need to publicize those ideas and projections to a wider base.

"Those VCCA guys restore, preserve and restore those old Vintage Chevrolets, no Pontiacs, no GMC trucks, no Chevy powered other makes,just Chevrolets. They don't allow modifieds, street rods or hot rods to compete at their meets and tours and they are usually family events with fashion shows and shopping trips for the ladies and games and model car shows for the younger children. They always find good places to visit, to rest and eat.

I don't go because they don't allow my 39 Ford on the show field even though it is powered with a Chevy engine and has a 350 Hydromatic because they don't condone modifications, just Chevrolet cars and trucks restored to original condition and also old original cars and trucks."

Yes I think that is the image that we project.

By the way, that is exactly how I like it,and why I remain a member of VCCA and work to keep it that way!!
We do encourage others with modified cars and trucks to visit, and join our club to experience our ideology and the family activity we enjoy when we get together and see the great image we project, we have room for all of you to come in and enjoy our family...Besides we may convince you to find an old Chevrolet car or truck to restore to it's original glory!

RGwiz #99912 04/24/07 12:22 PM
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Hey RG,

If what you said earlier today in post #99896 is what you really want.....

VCCA should be known as the high mark and authority for Preservation and Restoration of Chevrolets.

Then it would seem to me that's what the name of the club should be.

Chevrolet Preservation and Restoration Society (or Group or Club or whatever the last word might be). Actually CPR's would likely even be easy to remember. And it's actually what we do. We ARE "CPR" for 'old' Chevrolets!!!

When we really were (just)vintage Chevys, our name "Vintage Chevrolet Club of America" was perfect. But, these days VCCA simply doesn't really tell 'em what we are. I doubt even the "younger set" would see a 70 Chevelle as a "vintage" Chevrolet.

Let's face it, we aren't (just) vintage Chevrolets. Especially now that we 'recognize' all Chevrolets.

Bill.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.