Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
What's the amperage of the fuse that activates the interior dome light in a 73 Chev Vega?

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Welcome to Chevy Chatter II!

That information should be listed either in your owner's manual or in the shop manual. Maybe someone on this site can look it up for you since I don't have any manuals that new.

:) wink :grin:

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Perhaps I will get the snow cleared and get to my back garage tomorrow.I think that I have a Vega shop manual.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
In some vehicles the dome light fuse also powers radio backup memory and other electrical units that require constant battery contact.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
The ice melted. I was able to lie face-down on the ground without sticking to it; looked under the dashboard. Shined a flashlight on the fuse box -- it needs a 20 Amp Fuse.

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Yep I'm sure it powers the radio too -- gotta check my schematic, which is packed in a box somewhere.

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
The dome light on the 73 Vega does take a 20 amp fuse.The circuit also includes the clock,lighter and courtesy lamps.No mention was made of the radio on this circuit. Since the radio wasn't mentioned in the prior post I didn't check the manual. Normally the radio wouldn't be included on this circuit because the power to the radio is normally fused by a 10 amp fuse. A later radio with memory would be different. The dome lamp requires a 631 bulb.

DD

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
I found a 1971 manual.The fuse line up is as follows.Have no reason to believe that a 1973 would be any different.

Turn signal flasher,fuel gauge,dash warning lights,back-up lights,heat gauge and Tachometer use a 20 amp

Radio a 10 amp

wiper a 25 amp

heater or AC a 25 amp

dash panel lights and radio light a 4 amp

Hazard flasher and brake lights 20 amp

tail lights,marker lights and park lights a 20 amp

Clock,dome and lighter a 20 amp.

eletric fuel pump a 20 amp.

So clock (if equipped),dome light and lighter are fused together.

Sure looks as if it would be wise to carry some 20 amp fuses in the glove box.

If I owned one I would also find a spare fuel pump to carry in the trunk.

"VEGA-the little car that does everything well"----that was Chevrolets slogan when the Vega was introduced in late 1970.It had some features that were quite advanced for an economy car in 1971.Aluminum engine,over head camshaft,"rubber" timing belt,front disc brakes,etc.They called it an import fighter.
For introduction to the parts amnagers we had a meeting in the ball room of the upscale Schroeder Hotel in downtown Milwaukee.The theme music was "I'm leaving on a jet plane" and we saw the features of the new Vega.It was not a bad car -for the first year.Then head gaskets leaked (aluminum block-iron head)...the leakage damaged the aluminum cylinder so oil consumption came next.Chevrolet claimed they leaked due to overheating so the first recall was installing a coolant overflow ank and a low coolant warning light.Then we began replacing engines.Next they offered a reconditioned engine that was bored out and has steel sleves installed.This more or less fixed the engine problem but by this time they were 2 years old and the front fenders were rusting off.Chevrolet paid for fender replacement but the writing was on the wall-the Vega got a bad reputation.They went on pushing them with extended engine warranties but sales were fallin.The next step was the Monza which was a Vega in a new dress.The Monza went on till 1980 and sold quite well.The Monza began with the "improved" Veag engine in 1975.In 1976 could also be equpiied the a 262 CI small block V8.In 1977 the Vega and Monza were also available withe the 151 CI "Iron Duke " engine....and that was the last year of Vega.The Moaza lived on thru 1980 and in its later years was also available with the Buick V6 at 231 CI-which eventually became the 3800 engine.I think my son's had Monzas with all the engines except the original Vega engine.The original Vega platform actually survived thru 1980.

Gene Schneider

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.