Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
I don't understand why a tank that was cleaned and retinned, unless it has many pinholes in it(is this like Galvanizing)and only on the outside of the tank?
I have fortunately never had to have this snot coating done, and I have heard many storys of tramatic results down the line after this process is done.

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The only experiance that I have had with gas tank coatings is what I did for the NEW tank for my Corvair.I coated it with the white snot which was fairly new in 1990.Even though the tank was new I used the pre-cleaning process and then the sealing.Bought the "kit" at a Harley dealer.Has been in there now for 13 years with no problems.The gas in this area contains the maximum amount of ethanol etc.
The reason that I coated the new tank is because Corvair tanks tended to rust out on the bottom sooner than normal.This was due to the wedge shaped bottom of the tank and if any water was present it laid in one small area.The original sending unit was also a ball of rust.The car was stored for 15 years with no preperation.The engine its self started and ran fine.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
It is not well understood but water in a gas tank is a normal situation. Most people think it comes from water in the underground tank at gas station. That does happen (happened to me once. Only got about 1/2 mile from the station when the car quit. The rest is a long sad story.). But the water in a gas tank comes from the air drawn into the tank during the cooler parts of each day. If the air gets lower than the dew point droplets of water form inside the tank and settle to the bottom. The gas on top prevents the water from evaporating. Then the next day the tank warms expelling air only to cool later on drawing in cool moist air. After a few cycles (or hundreds for the vehicle in long term storage) the water begins to build up in the bottom of the tank. A little oxygen, water and the tin coating is eaten away. Then the rusting begins. The rusting is concentrated in a small area due to electrolysis and results in a pin hole or two or three or ???.

Anything you can do to minimize the problems? Yes, keep the tank full!

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
---Anything you can do to minimize the problem---

In this area we have reformulated gas.It contains up to 10% methanol which is a form of alcohol.It is my understanding that the water will be absorbed into the ethanol and will blend (mix) with the gas.It is also said that its not necessary to add Heet or any gas line antifreeze here for the same reason.Am I incorrect in assuming this??

Gene Schneider
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
OP Offline
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
I have just returned from delivering the truck gas tank for cleaning and treatment. I had the chance to talk with an employee who has been with the company for years. He informs me that in the past they did not line their tanks and beside that they do not do the re-tinning. They clean and repair the tanks if needed and then send them to an outside source for the re-tinning. After they are returned they are lined with “Red Snot”. (Just what we need, a third color of snot). This is a commercial grade liner and although it is available across the counter, they recommend it be done in their shop. EVERY tank that leaves their shop is relined, TO INCLUDE NEW TANKS . The condition of the two tanks that I brought to his shop were similar to other tanks brought in, that had sat a long time, without a liner, and with old gas in them. As demonstrated in both tanks, the area inside the tank that is NOT covered by gas receives the worst damage. That is the explanation for the disintegration of the sending units in both tanks, damage to the filler necks, locking gas caps, and rust-through above the fuel level. This changes my procedures, in that all tanks I install in the future will be lined and "STA-BIL" will be added to the fuel.

As I was loading the truck tank for delivery to the radiator shop, this was found. This is an area above the fuel line. There are two holes in the picture.
[Linked Image from home.comcast.net]

Agrin

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
To add to the discussion of snot, I have two vacuum tanks for my 28 Chevy. One of them I lined with white snot, the other I had lined with red snot at the local radiator shop. I started by using the former one and after about 500 miles, the white snot began to blister and flake off. I began to notice when the fuel filter between my vacuum tank and carburetor started getting plugged. At that point, I installed the tank lined with red snot. So far, it has held up quite well. Maybe this speaks to the quality of gasoline in my state but The red stuff seems pretty stable.

Regards,
-R chevy

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
If the white "came off" I would say its the fault of the perperation rather than the product.There may have been some rust or ??? under it.The white has done well for me and this area has the extreem in reformulated gas. mad

Gene Schneider
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Yes, I did recognize that as a fuel level sending unit, what's left of it. I just recently (Oct.) pulled the tank from my '40 and had it clean and lined. I don't know what color snot they used, I think it might be clearish. I took it to Mac's Radiator. But that sending unit looks trashed, irreparable. Did it arrive at that condition after a few years of "temporary" storage? Moisture/rust damage seems like it would take longer. Don't know though.

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I agree with Gene. I have used the white snot (PVC) for the last 10 years or so without any problems. It requires that the tank be cleaned to metal surface. If any of the old crud remains the integrity of the coating depends on the strength of the bond to crud and not the bond to metal. We cut a hole in the top of the tank (where it will be covered), sand blast the interior, repair any holes, replace the pickup tube, reinstall any baffles, solder on a patch larger than the hole and coat. Not a failure yet.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
The vacuum tank in question was sandblasted to bare metal inside before white snot was applied. I want to blame the MTBE formulated gas in CA for the problem. It tends to turn older fuel hose into a jelly-like substance and cause failure and fire in older vehicles. A couple of years ago, I received a notice from GM about my '96 Chevy CK fuel injectors. GM said they had experienced much trouble related to CA gasoline and would extend warranty coverage related to injector failure.

Regards,
-R chevy

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
OP Offline
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Dopey ” Good boy, you figured it out. Incidentally, Mac’s Radiator in Portland, OR was the ones who have assisted on this current project and have cleaned, repaired and coated both gas tanks. I’m sure that they used the “Red Snot” on your tank also. (We sure don’t need still another color for snot as we already have yellow, white and red).

I have just finished a thorough cleaning and disassembly of both carburetors. A considerable amount of small dark particles were removed from both units. This was obviously the “dregs” from the disintegration of the sending units and other damage. A job of this nature can only be done in the shop to be effective.

Still waiting the completion of the truck fuel tank. As soon as it is finished I will schedule another trip back up to the vehicles.

While waiting for the next posting, I suggest you go HERE and digest the best discussion about valve stem seals you will ever find in one place.

Agrin

RAY

Chevradioman

1925 Superior K Roadster
1933 Eagle, Coupe

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
OP Offline
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
I need some help here. The truck was restored several years ago and at that time they tinned the fuel tank and left it “natural” with the exception of the filler tube, which sticks out the side of the cab some 6 inches. This tube was painted “body” color. In this case “Red”. Now that the tank has been removed, cleaned and relined the “Red” paint has been damaged.

QUESTION ;

What should be the “finish” on the fuel tank neck/filler tube (the portion than protrudes from the side of the cab)?

Agrin

RAY

Chevradioman

1925 Superior K Roadster
1933 Eagle, Coupe

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Ray, I am not a expert on those trucks but would suspect that the tank was put into the cab after assembly and painting. If that is the case then the neck would not be painted. If the tank was put into the cab before painting then the area behind the tank would not get painted.

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
I have had some experience with these trucks. All that I have been associated with have had the filler neck painted body color. This also includes the metal ring used on the 42-46 models.

DANDYD

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
OP Offline
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
If the tank were installed prior to cab painting the rubber gasket and filler neck would be body color. Also as mentioned, a lot of the interior would not be painted, and there would be considerable overspray on the tank.

If the tank were installed after the cab is painted, the rubber gasket would be natural (black) and the neck would be either natural (tinned) or possibly painted black?

I think the jury is still out.

Agrin

RAY

Chevradioman

1925 Superior K Roadster
1933 Eagle, Coupe

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
ray,

we've been only through a few tanks related to our '40 kc 1/2ton, but, from what we seen, all of the overspray on the tanks seems to have been applied by subsequent owners and not delivered from the factory...

the areas under the mounting straps and the bottoms are (rusty, but) natural, tinned finish...

leads us to think that the tanks were installed after painting...

can't help you with the filler neck, because they'd all been repainted...

ok epi

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Just goes to show ya that the best way to preserve a vehicle is to run and drive it several times a year.

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
OP Offline
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Hi Gang,

Looks like I am getting a bit behind in my posting of progress reports.

The last time I was back at the scene was a disaster. The snow was over l ft deep on the access road, but with careful driving, we made it up to the vicinity of the storage building. The building was well heated so that was not a problem once we got inside.

Things went badly from the very start. We could get the truck started by priming the carburetor, but as soon as the raw gas was exhausted it would die. Finally determined the flexible hose from the end of the metal fuel line to the fuel pump was both stopped up and the rubber had disintegrated. Didn’t have an extra with me so that terminated the work on the truck.

The last time I had run the car it would not idle because the idle circuit on the carburetor was stopped up. Attempts to fix it in the field were uneventful. Only solution was to remove the carburetor and take it back to my shop. After a good cleaning of all passages we had brought it back and installed it. On the first attempt to start the car ANOTHER ROCKER ARM BROKE. This ruined my whole day. I did not have the correct arm in the goodies I had brought up so this terminated our efforts for the day.

On the long trip back to my shop every probable went through my mind as to why I would break another rocker arm. Best guess was, that because of the poor performance from the carburetor it had not run long enough to clear all the bad karma that was still present in the intake manifold and fuel lines on the last trip. Was able to run the truck for sufficient time to cleanse the system and good gas was left in the system when last run. The car however, was run for a very short time and then the carburetor removed.

This trip was back in the middle of December and for several reasons we were not able to return until 5 March.

Agrin

RAY

Chevradioman

1925 Superior K Roadster
1933 Eagle, Coupe

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
OP Offline
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Hi Gang,

Things were looking up so we made the journey back up to try and finish at least the truck and car.

Installed the flexible line from the end of the fuel line up to the fuel pump, removed the top of the fuel pump and cleaned the two valves, and blew out the line from the pump back through the tank. Primed the carburetor and it started and ran perfect. The weather was nice so we moved the truck outside, set the idle up and let it run for a considerable length of time.

Next was the car. Replaced the broken rocker arm (intake) and installed the fuel filter after cleaning and new gaskets. This time I took a large brass hammer and tapped on top of each valve to insure that it was not seized. Also used a liberal amount of non-chlorinated brake cleaner sprayed directly at the exposed base of each valve stem. Primed the carburetor and just like the truck it started and ran excellent. Moved it outside also and ran it a considerable length of time.

Before moving both vehicles back into the storage facility I made the final adjustments on timing, set the valves and made small adjustments to the carburetor and idle speed. Back inside, a final check was made of the operation of all instruments, all connections checked, oil and water leaks addressed and finally parked as desired by the owner.

Other than a re-inspection of these two vehicles on the next trip back up, we considered the mission accomplished. Now for the good part: A picture show.

If you magnify the picture you will see 24 miles on the speedometer. Notice the directional switch and the three flipper switches on the lip of the dash that control the heater, defroster, and fog lights.
Driver’s side of the engine compartment. Obvious accessories are the fuel filter, oil filter and the windshield washer.
From the passenger’s side you can identify the radiator overflow unit. The battery in the car is my service battery and not the correct one for show. The two castle nuts have not been installed on the valve cover at this point.
1947 Coupe with sun visor. You can see some of the owners signs placed on the unfinished wall in his future show building.

Now some views of the truck.
Almost wore out-showing 9 miles on the odometer.
Driver’s side of the truck engine. Accessories include the hood prop, windshield washer unit, fuel filter, oil filter and dual horns.
[Linked Image from home.comcast.net] Chevrolet truck radio, heater and one of the beautiful and rare “cat’s eye lighters”.
From the right side we can see the water cut-off on the water pump, horns, hood holder, radiator overflow tank and a rare under hood light.

RAY

Chevradioman

1925 Superior K Roadster
1933 Eagle, Coupe

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Another tricky job well done even with murphy showing up.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
xxx Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Beautiful car...

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
I've got a date tonight, can I have the car? I need gas money, also ............ Agrin ok

1952 Chevy - 4 Dr. Styleline DeLuxe Sedan
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Seems to me both could do with some healthy exercise. A pity to leave them sitting and not be seen.

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
1 members (swedechev), 50 guests, and 31 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman, JEC51
18,307 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,069
Posts429,046
Members18,307
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.